INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Need heart and liver recipes  (Read 1255 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Need heart and liver recipes
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
The only way I've eaten deer liver is floured and fried with onions and bell peppers. Any other suggestions?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need heart and liver recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
you can make a pate from the liver, you can also chop it fine and add it to a sausage mix.  Heart I like cut intio thin strips and quickly fried.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
Fry it with onions, bacon, and mushrooms. Fry the bacon and then fry the onions and mushrooms in the hot bacon oil. Remove them and fry the liver alone in the hot bacon oil. Serve with the bacon, onions, and mushrooms ladled over the liver.

Heart is good chopped real fine and fried for tacos.

A real traditional recipe is a heart and steak pie. Get the kidneys from that deer and add those. It's delicious! Look up recipes for "Steak and Kidney Pie" and follow those for organ meat of your choice.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
I like heart best pickled.  I trim it up, boil it in a small pot with just enough water to cover it.  I add some celery, onion, salt and pepper and cook for about 3 to 4 hours keeping an eye on the water level so it doesn't drop.  It'll never get "tender" but after the allotted time take it out and let cool.  Slice about 1/2" thick slices.  As you expose all the chambers, trim off anything that looks inedible.

Next, put a good thick slice of onion in the bottom of a pint mason jar along with some hot peppers of your choice and a pinch of oregano, some salt and pepper.  Stack the slices in the jar and pour broth in to fill half way.  Top off with cider vinegar.  Put one more slice of onion on top.  You can also add a little garlic of you want.  

Put the lid on and stick it in the fridge for a good week.  Try not to sample it too soon or you'll end up with it about gone by the time it's just getting good.

For me, I like a lot of good hot pepper in it so it comes out a bit like hot bologna.

p.s.

The broth will have a supper rich "beefy" flavor.  It makes a great soup stock so use it or freeze it for later.  Just pour through one of them wire basket strainers to get the chunks of cooked celery and stuff out of it first.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
That sounds pretty good Dave. I might give that a try this year.

I usually slice both about 3/8ths thick roll in seasoned flour and fry. Saute some onions in the pan while it's cooking and chow down.

Offline Conan 1883

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Dave, the pickled deer heart is wonderful.  Made some for Thanksgiving and my son and dad ate every bit of it!!!  Great recipe.  Had some left so that it would pickle real good and just finished it.  Really good.  Thanks for posting that one.
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.....John Wayne

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:49:00 AM »
Glad you liked it Conan.  

Were you able to leave it set for about a week before ya started "sampling"?

p.s.  Did you taste the broth after cooking the heart?  It's usually really good.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
I had a great recipe for marinated heart, but my ex made off with it...now, that hurt.  I cut it into strips, marinate it in nearly anything (usually olive or sesame oil, sherry, soy, some fresh garlic or ginger if I'm feeling ambitious) and either saute it or grill it.  It's important not to overcook.  Some are put off by the texture, but nearly all praise the taste.

For liver I follow the bacon and onions route.  It always feels a little more like something I should do than something I really enjoy.  It would be great to work out a truly good pate.

FWIW, I really like deer kidneys and fully intend to try a tongue...I'm just in such a groove on cleaning or quartering I keep forgetting to take one.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
I always cut up an apple and put it in with the onions when I fry liver. Slightly different tast.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©