INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: venison appetizers??  (Read 1310 times)

Offline oops29

• Trad Bowhunter
venison appetizers??
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
i need an easy &tasty recipe of some kind for an appetizer made of venison for a thanksgiving dinner.

Offline jbuck9

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: venison appetizers??
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Take cleaned strips of venison say 1'by2" and wrap in bacon, should get 3 too 4 pieces per slice of bacon, take some brown sugar and chili powder and mix about 50/50 or too your taste if you like hot or more spicy add cayenne pepper too taste roll these in the mix and place on a rack on a cookie sheet too catch the bacon dripping place in oven at 350 for 20 min . very tastey , you can use toothpicks too keep bacon on and too serve. Place tinfoil over the cookie sheet for easy cleanup.

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
These are great.I do the same but different.I butterfly, stuff with a jalepeno or piece of Vadilla onion, marinated in a marinade like what you would use for jerky ,wrap in bacon and let sit for a couple days.Throw on the grill and we call em Buck Bombs/Bites depends how hot you get em...
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
Mine is similar also but I use cream cheese and japeleno for a filling and topped off with a slice of pepperjack cheese!!!!

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
This is the best venison wrap recipe I have ever tried. The recipe was given to me by member AL33 after he prepared them for a shoot that I attended. I made them a few days later for 35 people at our house for Christmas festivities and they were the hit of the season! Even the folks that didn't usually eat vinison loved them. I make them every time I get a chance.

"The pleasure was mine Chuck. Hope we can meet up again either on another shoot or a hunt somewhere.
It's 2/3rds Worcestershire, 1/3rd soy sauce, and just a very few drops of liquid smoke. Cut your straps into pieces (across grain) 1&1/2 inches thick, wrap them with thick sliced Hormel Black Label bacon and pin it together with a toothpick. I like to keep the grain of the meat open on the cuts to better marinate them. You can marinate for as little as an hour, but I prefer 3 to 4 hours. The ones I brought to the shoot marinated overnight because I knew I wouldn't have time the morning of the shoot to prepare them.
Right before you put them on the grill drain the marinate and give them a good covering of Cavender's Greek seasoning on both sides if they were totally submerged. I usually just cover one side while they are in the marinating dish then put them on the grill with the sides covered in Cavender's down and sprinkle the Cavender's on the other top side while they are on the grill.
Depending on your particular grill you will want to cook them with the lid closed for the most part. Have to be watchful of flare-ups due to the bacon grease. I prefer using regular charcoal (not the Match-lite stuff).
If you have any questions feel free to give me a call.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
Marinate the venison whichever way you like.

I usually marinate with a little worcestershire, Dale's, and some Zesty Italian.

I cut the backstraps into strips about 1.5" thick.

Take some jalapenos and either cut them in half length wise or hollow out the core.  Depending on how hot you like the peppers, clean out the seeds appropriately.  If you like a mild pepper, take all the seeds out, if you like a medium pepper, leave a few, if you like em hot, leave plenty of seeds.

Now take the jalapenos and stuff them with cream cheese.

Now take the venison slices and wrap around jalapeno.  I also like to take strips of bacon and wrap over the top of the venison.

Use some toothpicks to hold the "Popper" together.

Now take them to the grill and throw them on.

Cook till bacon is done.  Or however you like the venison to be.  Medium rare, medium, etc.

DELICIOUS!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©