3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: LongBow Javalina  (Read 509 times)

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
LongBow Javalina
« on: November 26, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
Took this little brush pig yesterday evening at a little before 6.

I set up some trail cams and feeders at a Coon007's place last week and I caught a herd of Javi's at one of the feeders.  Yesterday just seemed right for the Viper to draw it's first blood and I took of from home.  Got to the ranch at about 4 and set up my little pop-up 20 steps from the trail and got comfy.  The bow is longer than the blind is tall, but I learned that if I leave the door unzipped, I can stick the top limb out and still be able to shoot comfortably.  At about 5:00 a buddy of mine called me and said that he was going to be up on a hill overlooking a road.  OK, restricts my movement as he is a gun hunter, but I was still out of his line of fire.  At 5:15 he calls again and says that he can see the Javi's feeding on another road, 75 yards from my location, so out I go and get into stalk mode.  Take off my boots and close the distance to about 30yrds from the closest one.  There was no more cover and they were headed my way so I just waited for them to get closer.
Suddenly, from out of no where, I have 6 of the little stinkers literaly at my feet.  I could touch anyone of them with my nocked arrow.  I froze and let them move on.  No sense in taking a rushed shot no matter what the distance.  After they moved on I went after them but could not get a clean shot.  At 5:45 I started drawing on a little piglet, best tasting in my eyes, and at half draw I heard something coming in from my right.  Turned to see a little female trotting towards me thru the brush.  She was going to pop up 20 feet from me.  So I turned around and got ready for her.  At about 25 feet from she spotted me and stopped facing me.  After a few seconds she kept goingand turned quartering towards.  I picked my spot right on her collar came to full draw and released.  Once that arrow connected, she just stood there.  She then took a step and felt that arrow inside her and freaked out.  Started jumping, growling and snapping her teeth.  2 seconds and 4 steps later she quit moving.  This is my first big game animal with trad equiptment and I truly enjoyed this better than anything I have ever taken with my training wheels.  I gave my thanks and got set up for some pics.  Now 29 hours later, I am still excited about the little piggie.
Thanks guys for all the info and letting me share my story.

Sarrel's BlueRidge Takedown Longbow 3pc
62" 53#@28"
Easton XX75 400   250gr up front
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: LongBow Javalina
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Very nice Javi. You need to reduce your pic size down to the 640 pixel width though.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Oh-Yea
Viper Deluxe Long Bow
55# @ 28"
Muzzy Phantom

Bought from HuntNut here on the Forum.  Thanks alot Bro.

Gatorgar
62" 53#@28"
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
Sorry for the size and thanks for the compliment vermonster.  I just resized it, I think, still new to this pic posting stuff.
62" 53#@28"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Very cool!  Congratulations on one that will live in your memories for years to come - the first is always special, and javies are a blast!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
Neat story. I don't know how you kept your composure with them that close. I think I'd have to rely on some depends 'cause I know I'd wet my pants! Congratulations.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »
Congrats!!  I'm looking forward to someday hunting them little buggers again...just a blast!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
congrats maybe some day i will get a crack at one of those critters

doug77

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »
Congrats! Some advice-stop new because it only gets more addictive! CK

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
Good job on the jav and the pics.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Plan on going down there this winter hogs and javies. Can't wait! But trail cams, feeders and a pop up blind? Not for me.
lll

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Congrats.I cant wait to get after them one day.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Too late, you've got javie fever and you may as well get used to it. Nice shot and good story telling. Man, I love them little stinkers. Hurry up Texas trip.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
I got this one with a PSR.

John

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
very nice , congrats :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
Nice job!  Javalinas are made for this stuff!!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments guys.  Javies are a blast and were definatly made for this sport.  I got weaned on them many years ago and they are my first choice when teaching new hunters about stalking, shot placement and the works.
We regularly take a couple every year, but this was my first attempt at doing it the "Old Fashioned Way"
Bodork...I never had any problems with them.  Only one that caused me some concern was a big male that an old timer accidentaly shot thru the head.  Word of advice, that does not kill them.  When I grabbed its feet to drag it off the road, it got up and turned on me.  He only had 2 things on his mind, get out of there and take anything out that gets in my way.  I unsheathed my knife and was able to stap it thru the spine between the shoulder blades effectively putting him down, 7" blade.  That was a mortally arrowed one, and I figure I would have behaved the same way in that situation, so I still don't consider them as dangerous.
62" 53#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©