Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Heavy Dangerous Game Arrows....  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy Dangerous Game Arrows....
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2003, 11:11:00 AM »
I'm more sold than ever on the heavy arrows, but I didn't need much selling. I think for most guys an arrow in the 900-1000 grain range is going to be best for buffalo. However, they do need to fly perfectly AND a 20 yard shot is optimum. Also the smaller the diameter the better. Rick

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2003, 12:22:00 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what are ya'll drawing (inches)?  I don't have plans of going to Oz any time soon, but that is a dream hunt, and one I will do eventually if at all possible.  Honestly don't know if I'd have it in me to go for the big buffalo, but I'd like to think I do.  But anyway.....

I draw 30.5" on my longbow, normal anchor.  Has anyone figured in how much this will affect penetration?  I have shot tournaments with 80+ lbs, and don't think it would be much of a chore to get back up to that weight (shoot 66 now).  What I am getting at is this--I want to be sure I am shooting enough bow, but also want to stay as low as I can for accuracy/pucker factor purposes.  This will take me years, literally, to pull off--getting the right bow, arrows, etc. (and saving up for each in-between purchases) and I want to start planning some.  

Also, what do you suggest using for a target face (for size reference), and what in the world are you shooting into to stop your arrows and still be able to pull them?  I get cussed on a regular basis on the 3-D range with the set-up I am using now--sometimes it takes two of us to pull the arrow, and I ain't no runt.  

Finally, where can I get more info. on Oz?  What game can you hunt there, specifics on each species, etc.  Who knows--I may hit it big one day and get to go there sooner than I expected.

Chad

PS  I want to thank you guys, especially Ric, for bringing up hunting in Australia.  Always wanted to go there for some reason, now I REALLY want to!  Africa used to be the dream, until I researched it--sounds like it would still be an exciting trip, but not really the type hunt I am interested in.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2003, 09:53:00 AM »
Chad, 30.5 @ 80#'s with the right arrows would work just fine on buff. In fact that would work out close to what Monty shoots. His bow was 84#'s, but he draws an inch or so less and the extra power stroke is a big advantage, i.e. the string is pushing on the arrow longer. There are lots of animals to hunt in OZ and in someways it is more like hunting in the old wild west than anything else. I can probably answer most of your questions if you shoot me an email. Rick

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2003, 02:29:00 PM »
Rick , Everytime I read the dangerous game section there seems to be heavier bow weights . Whats the best way to move into working yourself into shooting heavier bows I started 2 years ago shooting 45 # now I can shoot 63# no problem , but Id like to get to 70 or 75 but i seem to have reach my limit..any suggestions? thanks ,Mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2003, 08:36:00 AM »
The most important thing is to not do any damage, that will move you waaayyyy back. So work into it gently, don't ever get into a situation where you have to jerk your bow back. Remember that ANY exercise will benefit your entire body, so staying in good shape will make it easier. Don't over shoot. I don't recommend shooting everyday, three or four times a week is plenty. Draw you bow with both arms. I leave a heavy bow strung and whenever I think of it I will draw it and hold for a few seconds, both right and left handed. It amazes me that after doing this for a while, I can draw and hold my 85# bow left handed with no problems. Don't lock into shooting a particular number of arrows, i.e."I'm goin to shoot 20 arrows this time"! Do what you can do without straining and creating bad habits, you're better off to shoot less arrows at one time, but spread it out over the day. Rick

Offline Jackrat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2003, 08:27:00 PM »
The buff,in OZ came from Timore they are the indian water buffalo.I know number of guy,s that have taken them with both compond and recurve-longbows.The most common bow weight used by the locals up there is 70#.I would sujest you pick a good climbing tree before you take the shot but make sure there is not a snake up it first.
Cheers,Jack.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©