Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gear for OZ?  (Read 4821 times)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gear for OZ?
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2003, 10:52:00 PM »
I bet pepper spray to a crock is like red pepper to a cajun .Roll around in the water and you got hot sauce....LOL....mark #78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2003, 01:32:00 PM »
Rick,

To keep down on weight and bulk, for things like the shoot thru netting and mag lites to use/leave there with the trackers, could you just ship/mail it there ahead of you?  Or, do you think it best to take everything with you instead?

Larry
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2003, 04:11:00 PM »
Larry,

Rick's in OZ....will be there for a while longer too.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2003, 09:42:00 PM »
Very good thread as I am trying to plan a hunt there in 2004. Plan to hunt Sambar,Chital and Rusa.

Danny  :thumbsup:
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline erron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2003, 07:22:00 AM »
My OZ site is in its infancy (read, rough as guts) but if you're interested, have a gander:

www.ozbow.net

I'd be really interested in what things you want answered in a site like this, as one of the aims is to eventually cater for the visitor.

Anyway, if you're inclined, please drop by and let me know what you think. If you ask a question there, one of us will definitely find the answer for you.

Cheers,

Erron
Erron Adams
 www.ozbow.net
Traditional Archery & Bowhunting in Australia
www.ozbow.net

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2003, 02:48:00 PM »
"ERRON"

Excellent, well done mate.

Offline erron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2003, 07:57:00 PM »
Jock,

thanks mate!

Erron
www.ozbow.net

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2003, 05:59:00 PM »
Erron,

Glad to see you got it off the ground mate!  :thumbsup:    I hope to spend a lot of enjoyable hours there, and hopefully many enjoyable days in you home range a little later on!  :D
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline erron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2003, 08:46:00 PM »
Dean,

you are, and will be, welcome. Thanks for stopping by!

Erron
www.ozbow.net

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2003, 05:35:00 PM »
Larry, you really don't need to take all that much stuff. I was there for three months and had all of my gear in one large gear bag and one carry-on for cameras, binos etc. It is possible to send stuff ahead of time, but you run in to all of the problems with customs.
If a croc grabs you, you won't have time to say SH.., let alone spray them with anything, aside from what god gave you or course.
I'm back from three months of guiding and cowboying in OZ and full of new insights, so have at it! Rick

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2003, 10:38:00 PM »
So Rick... what was your most insightfull moment this trip?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2003, 08:39:00 AM »
Charlie, it seems obvious to me, that if you are going to hunt one of the biggest and potentially dangerous animals on earth, that I would make sure that I was as prepared as I could possibly be. Unfortunatly we had some hunters this year who were not even close to being prepared and it didn't make bowhunters in general look very good. Hunting buffalo is right on the edge of bowhunting, it can be done quite well, BUT NOTHING should be taken for granted, every detail should be make fool proof in advance. I did see one buffalo go down in about a minute with a single arrow to the heart, but even that bowhunter blew a chance at a much bigger buff after a very difficult stalk by just leaving one
little gap for Mr. Murphy to slip in. The buff he did take will be in the top 15, but he could have been in the top ten with the other one. Rick

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2003, 09:02:00 AM »
Rick... I'm still pursuing my fantasy of an Oz Buff hunt in 2004. If it's not embarrassing to anyone, I'd like to know what the "gap" was that Murphy slipped in through.

I also hear talk of "frequent" need for multiple arrows on these critters. Care to expound for me?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2003, 09:59:00 AM »
Charlie, I'd go for it. The ranch that I hunt on has an estimated 4500-5200 buffalo on it and up until this year they were running 100% for bowhunters, rifle hunters are always 100%. The buff that I tried to take myself last year turned out to be over 109" it would have been a new #2 archery buff IF I had taken it.
The gap that particular time was with a compound shooter who brought two different bows with different sight pin setups and shot right over the back of a huge buff, because at the moment of truth he used the wrong pin for that bow. I recommend shooting one bow for everything there. I only need one set of arrows and the buff bow works just fine on everything else, but not the other way around. Buff usually require more than one arrow ONLY because very few people do their best shooting on a buffalo. If you put the first arrow in the right place they will be dead on the ground in less than a minute, if you don't, they won't. Rick

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2003, 10:50:00 AM »
Rick.... Thanks for the info! All that sounds just about right to me. Won't be usin anything but one bow myself and no pins on it!

Moment of truth? Well, just have to see how I perform when that time comes.   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »
Charlie, yeah NOBODY knows what the moment of truth will be like until they get there. I get pumped up when I'm close to buffalo also, even if I am backing up a hunter and have a .375 in my hands. I think it does help to spend some time studying big bovids in advance, at the zoo or farm or whatever. Rick

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2003, 11:06:00 PM »
Rick , All your tidbits sound so exciting , you are a blessed man! Post some pics when you get a chance ....I think Id rather a shot in the OZ than Africa.............Mark#78

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2003, 10:02:00 AM »
Mark, we made an exploratory trip upto the northern coast and just caught and unbelievable amount of fish and sharks. Unfortunatly in the process, I got my camera soaked in seawater and it refused to give up any photos. I did have one of the hunters send me photos of him with dead deer, dingos, pigs, a donkey and a buffalo, Best I can do at the moment however is that photo of Cory at the head of this conference. Rick

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2003, 03:25:00 PM »
Rick , sorry about ur camera there buddy. Sounds like you really had a nice experience....love hearing about your adventures. Thanks, Mark#78

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2003, 09:23:00 AM »
Hey guys, I was just filing some of the notes I made from OZ this year(I was there for three months, I can't remember everything!) and I thought I would pass along a few things.
I don't recommend wearing anything on your back, including quivers fanny packs, camelbacks etc., when you bowhunt for buffalo, you will spend some time crawling or at least bent over and anything on your back defeats the whole purpose. The best stalk I made this year was on a huge old buff in a clearing with only two trees in it, I had to belly crawl for about 30 yards, pushing the back up rifle in front of me, but it worked, to bad the hunter muffed the shot!
I don't recommend wearing shorts to hunt in for the same reason as above, you will be crawling and the ground there is often rocks, sticks and grass stubble. If you wear shorts you will get cut up, but your call. Do get a pair of gaiters though to keep the grass seeds out of your socks if you hunt in shorts.
Buff have excellent eyesight, wear light colored camo, old faded stuff is great and so is the leafy wear, if you can get a light enough color, "Jungle" camo is way-way to dark.    
SOFT soled walking shoes are a big advantage, you don't need lugged soled hiking boots or waterproof boots. We don't get into the water that much, but when we do, it will usually be over the tops of your boots anyway.
Bow quivers are the best, back quivers and hip quivers stick up and spook buffalo all the time. Do bring LOTS of arrows though. A plains indian type quiver would be my second choice.
Try all of your stuff out in advance! Don't assume that this will work with that! Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©