Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 300# Plus Boar Hogs....  (Read 7622 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
300# Plus Boar Hogs....
« on: May 17, 2003, 08:27:00 PM »
This is one on my list.  I have seen em, I have heard the monsterous noises they make, and I have an addiction to hogs in general.  My next encounter is never soon enough.

I have a pic of a boar wallow that I will post on Monday, when Admin fixes me up.  It will give you an idea of how big some of these GA hogs are.  There was two other wallows just out of the pic about the same size, and we did see these three boars one evening walking out.  It was a Mexican stand off I will never forget.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 300# Plus Boar Hogs....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 10:10:00 PM »
Terry the largest wild spanish hog (Florida) I have seen/killed weighed a tad over 200# (on a certified scale..not an outfitters ego building estimate) and he was a brute, an absolute tank, and meaner than snot. His shield was like concrete. Only way for me to kill him was to slip one up just in front of his hind leg angling up behind the opposite front leg thereby avoiding the shield. I can't even imagine what tackling a hog weighing 1/3 more would be like (but hey, I'd give it a try).
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 10:27:00 PM »
Micky , Hows about a 500 -600 lbs Russian Boar..wow!! now thats a hog...#78 Mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Rob S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 06:06:00 PM »
At our ranch we've gotten big un's, several over 400lb.  A 456lb killed this year, was 6'6" nose to tail.  We have started trapping them.  When we get a bunch of little ones under the 40-50lb range, we shoot the sows for BBQ and castrate the boars.  This will enable them to reach in excess of 600lbs.  It also fattens them up as well.  I'm just a kid from the back 40 that knows too much!

Rob
AIM small MISS small

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 08:46:00 PM »
Up at Rhinehardt college in Waleska Georgia, a gent kept a pet Russian Boar.  I stopped by in the late fall to check him out.  His owner said he weighed in the 500lb range.  This guy was BIG.  Very mellow monster, but they were having problems moving him.  Ya see, if he did not want to go, he did not go.

He is living on a farm somewhere up in the mountains.

Honestly, if I came face to face with a wild boar of this size in the wilds, I may just let him walk.  

I mean, I had a 50 cal. slug in my pocket and was holding the ball in one hand and looking at the boar in the other.  If I shot him with my ml, he would probably just piss him off.

Frank
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 08:47:00 PM »
Here's my 175# ..5'9" hunting bud Doug Johnson with a Cohutta Wilderness Boar bath tub.  He and I both could fit in it at the same time.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 09:18:00 PM »
Terry , we had one est. to be 600 pound range and the game warden stopped me during a bow hunting trip and asked if I would bring a gun nexted time, at the time I was hunting for whitetails. He begged me to bring a weapon and gave permission . This animal put one hunter in the emegency room , it was bad . but , I love to hunt them , with the heaviest and sharpest arrows and broaheads I can shoot well..63# lbs...anyway cool pic...shootin n groupin  #78Mark

Offline Rick Boyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 10:17:00 PM »
got one in the pen that comes in around 800 to 900 lbs 7" tusk black as the ace of spades..
  Terry I have taken 400+ lbs boars with a bow of 55# but you will need to make shoot placement a priority!! quartering away is my choice..The only choice in my book!!! I seen a 350# boar take 5 slugs from a 44 mag at 3 feet away. it would knock him down every time he was hit and he would get right back up!! # 6 was put in his head!!! when we cleaned him all 5 44 mag slugs was still in his shield..

gator
LMAC Webmaster

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 10:21:00 PM »
Gator,

Post a pic of him please.

I'd love to just see the size of that buggar.  AND those 7 inch tuskers.

Offline Rick Boyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 10:39:00 PM »
I will get up with ric and get a pic or two this week...

gator
LMAC Webmaster

Offline d2jlking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 11:02:00 PM »
I hunt hogs often at my family's ranch in Southwest Florida.  Average size is around 100 pounds.  Big ones are over 150 pounds.  We have killed hogs over 200 pounds and I have personally seen one that I believe to be over 300 pounds.  anything over 200 pounds is few and far between.  I love to hunt em, and have never had trouble putting one down with a well placed broadhead.

Scott

Offline d2jlking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 11:05:00 PM »
Terry-

That is a nice size wallow.  Are there a lot of hogs in your area?  On our ranch we have a couple of wallows that have been around for the last 15 years and they get used all the time.  They have turned into giant areas.  I will try and get some photos and post them here. Also, do the boars rub trees up there?

Scott

Offline Rick Boyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 11:47:00 AM »
Got you a pic. I will add it to here when admin gets back with me..

gator
LMAC Webmaster

Offline Rob S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »
gator,

You said the 44 cal slugs were still in his shield?  Bullets expand, arrows dont!  Take a big coffe can and fill it with sand.  Shoot a 44 or 50 cal in it.  9 times out of 10 the bullet wont go through it.  Do the same with a 55lb bow and a perfectly matched arrow.  The arrow will penetrate!  I shot a 249lb hog through the shoulder bone with a complete passthrough this past season.  Arrows are the shi  :eek:    Dazzale friends with can trick.  Oh, stand about 15 yards from the can when shooting at it.

ASMS

Rob
AIM small MISS small

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »
You guys are lucky to have them rascals down there.  Ky Longbow and myself are dying to hunt them.  There are a few here in KY and we found out where they were earlier this year.  We are going to try them when the weather gets cooler.

Strutter

Offline Rick Boyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2003, 05:49:00 PM »
hope this works???  If it does you can use the skidder tire for a comparason fo size..
LMAC Webmaster

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2003, 06:26:00 PM »
My wife had first shot at he big black tank I wrote about earlier (it was her turn and that's what we found) Dianne was shooting a 46# recurve that had already put down several hogs. She shot this brute 3 times in the lungs and the arrows bounced off..no kidding we have it on video. The outfitter was worried about the dogs and asked me to shoot it (52# longbow). I figured I'd have about the same luck shooting it behind the front shoulder and shot a quartering shot instead. Complete penetration and the hog only lived another 30 secs.

I've seen 600# & 700# pigs on the *********** Hog forum that guys swore were wild hogs, but I'm not convinced (unless you consider wild, no longer in the pen). There is a supposedly 756#er on there now. There is no way one of those things could run much less spin and fight. The guy I hunt with in Florida has taken thousands of wild hogs (about 300 a year)and the largest he has even seen killed weighed 242#. Year before last my buddy took the largest one they had taken all year (out of 280 hogs) and it weighed 181#, and it was huge. I'll go scan some of our hog pics and post links.

Now these are decendants of Spanish hogs and not European or Russians which I understand grow larger, but I would have to see with my own eyes (see it run, turn and fight) a wild hog that weighed over 500# to believe it.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »
Micky , I agree with you . In my area of south Louisiana we have area where hogs that once were raise escape or get turned loose by farmers . Thus running with the wiid ones..besides some of the smaller ones make great table fair. It makes you wonder if some of those hogs are supplemented with something...good point...Mark #78

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2003, 08:17:00 PM »
That particular wallow is a "satalite" wallow.  All three of them were NOT there in July, and appeared late August.  3 wallows, all about the same size, and 3 hogs to fit in them.  We saw all 3 together on the hoof opening day.

Not a thick population by all means, but they do have 95,000 acres to roam.  We look for bears 1st, and the hogs 2nd.  We we set up some 500 yards away from those wallows on some bear sign, and yes, we did consider setting up on those tubs.  I wish one of us had, cause that is the direction they came from, and they were muddy when we saw them.

I'm sure they were taking an afternoon nap while we we on stand, and came right down the stream to us for an evening bite.

Offline Rick Boyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2003, 08:56:00 PM »
I live in florida and there are few hogs that aint got some kind of mix in them!!! that hog in the pic killed 2 dogs when we cought him.. you think hes tame?? Come on down and get in the pen. I will video it for you  :bigsmyl:   .. One of the dogs he killed was wearing a cut vest.. When he hit the dog he crushed his chest.. But you are right about a true piney wood rooter.. 300 is big.. 150 is the norm..I love to use dogs and duck tape to catch hogs.. Have any of you guys ever spear hunted hogs???

gator
LMAC Webmaster

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©