Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 300# Plus Boar Hogs....  (Read 7620 times)

Offline Dirteater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 300# Plus Boar Hogs....
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2003, 03:40:00 PM »
Terry-If you do go scouting Pine Log this summer be ready to do a lot of walking.  The main gate is usually locked when critters aren't in season.  But you can walk anywhere you want.  I've walked in a number of times to fish Stamp Creek in the summer months.

Of course being a Cohutta hunter, I doubt that a little extra walking will bother you much.  :)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2003, 04:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dirteater:

Of course being a Cohutta hunter, I doubt that a little extra walking will bother you much.   :)  
I seriously doubt I'll have to walk farther than I do at Cohutta....but it would be nice if I had too.  :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2003, 08:08:00 PM »
Well ya'll can walk as far back as you want, but I've seen tracks less than 500 yards from Stamp Creek Rd.

I've talked with the WMA man and have done 4 day primitive pack in hog hunts in the past.  This was during the late season hog hunts in Feb.  He mentioned that if'n we did shoot ourselves a monster, that he would open the gate.

Have only gone trout fishing once, to no avail.  Been wanting to get up there but just have not had the time.

Frank
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2003, 09:10:00 PM »
Terry and Lance,About 100 yards from our gate on my lease there is a 300+ boar laying beside the highway dead. Bet he puts some dents in the car that hit him. Thats about a mile and a half from the paridise.I think it helps keep bugs off who knows.We don`t hunt over but its still neat to see a small wallow turn in to a small pond in a matter of days. Enough yapping I`m off to Ft. Stewart tomorrow. Pigs in the morning and bass in the afternoon. Life is sweet,Thank you Jesus,RC.

Offline Rick Boyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2003, 09:14:00 PM »
you can also take used motor oil soak a rag in it and hang it low in the bushes.. It will draw the hogs in.

gator
LMAC Webmaster

Offline Twang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2003, 10:28:00 PM »
Take a piece of carpet, soak it in motor oil and nail to a tree ...  :readit:  

Wait a minute there's another product for Tarz's girls!   :bigsmyl:
Twang[/i]
          "Archery Happens!"       :bigsmyl:

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2003, 08:58:00 AM »
Terry,

Speaking of bears.  About 10 yrs ago when I first started hunting with a selfbow, it was a little 43lb osage flatbow.  I was up in Dawson Forest as that is where I use to hunt.  Ventured down to the river to do a little business, when I finished up I noticed that about 10 yards away, there was a clear spot.

Upon further investigation I noticed that about 7 square feet including the bank of the river was just torn up.  I mean roots pulled out of the ground, a foot and a half hole dug, just a big mess.

Later that day I ventured to the top of a mountain to this field.  Well, a quarter of the field was just trashed.  Trees broken in half on the side of the field.  I noticed these very Large dog like tracks, but wider.

No biggy, just diddy bopped out of the woods and stopped by the WMA station on my way out.  The WMA guy told me that that was a very pissed off bear.  He was driving by the field earlier in the morning and heard a serious ruckass and saw the bear take off into the woods.

Needless to say, I got a bigger bow.

Frank
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline Lee in S.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2003, 11:15:00 PM »
Guys I have a lease in SC that is infested with hogs. I have never had one do anything but run away when shot. I've never found them to be that hard to kill either. I 've never seen but a very few truly wild hogs over 200 lbs. But I have seen some battles between hogs and dogs. Those dogs really piss them off. My grand father built and ran two hunting preserves in TN, Clarkrange and Tellico Junction.  He had some big hogs but they were pen raised then released for the hunters. I thinks hogs are defintely tougher than a deer, but I think their reputation is blown way out of proportion.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2003, 09:13:00 AM »
Lee,
I also hunt in South Carolina...few thousand acres across from Groton Plantation...directly on the Savannah River....the river is up real high now..hogs are on the hill...and so are the gators. I am going this weekend...they're telling me that they've never seen gators as thick as this in 30 years ...10 and 12 footers are everywhere...naturally that is pushing the pigs out to higher drier ground..and we should have a great trip...my partner and I have taken 60+ hogs in the last couple yrs, the largest being 467 lbs...and I can tell you that was NO PEN RAISED HOG...right now I am hunting a couple boars that will be legitimately 300+...and none of these hogs are anything but rooters well removed by generations from a pen- there has never been a hog in a pen on this land. Yes,maybe some of he neighboring properties have done so...and you are right, there are lots of places where a 200 lb pig is a big one..but I certainly believe that major river drainages will grow on average bigger hogs, just as they grow bigger whitetails.And you are right, what makes hogs angry isn't people ( unless you get between a sow and her baby) it's the dogs.. I hunt them on the ground, stalking, with a recurve or longbow...and its just about the most fun you can have with your britches on. And boy, do they taste good! We soak the cuts of meat in apple juice for 36 hours, than put it on a big grill (beside, not over the fire) and smoke it for about 15 hours....pull it apart and eat it,or the lesser cuts get chopped up, and add BBQ sauce to make sandwiches- I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2003, 09:49:00 AM »
OK, this is not a good pic...since its a pic of a pic....but you can get an idea anyway.

Here's a representation of "The Paradise".  Really nice whitetail buck, and a Spanish Hog.

The guy with the hog weighs 240, 250.  The Spanish hog has a Tasmanian Devil build, narrow back end, and a dozer up front.  They leave a realatively small track for their size. This one was well over 300#s.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2003, 03:55:00 PM »
well, the GATORS were there, boys! My bud and I each shot a 90-100 lb pig...I got a sow and he got a little boar...in the clearcuts...it was hot and the bugs were the worst I've seen them in twenty years...the skeeters were so bad it was kind of scary...deer, turkeys, pigs everywhere....deer are running around with fawns about 5 weeks old, looks like...cause they are getting around pretty good...following mama...in the low country of south carolina.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Lee in S.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2003, 11:26:00 PM »
Ray I killed a boar in march that was 300+, but in my opinion they aren't the norm. There are a few bruisers roaming the areas I hunt but most are 100-150 lbs or less. I used to hunt near Groton. A place called Redland , it was abunch of guys from FL but once a year  the guy who managed the property would have a bowhunt. Killed some deer down there, never killed a hog on their property.  Next time your down that way ask the locals if they know Nilo Guifford or Bill Baker.

Offline timbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2003, 11:54:00 PM »
looks like a good place to hunt, we hunt down on the flint river in georgia the magnolia/beechwood swamps......huge hogs there,,,we have a rub tree that are rubbed by boars 48" high

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2003, 11:28:00 AM »
Now Lee, you don't think we're going to let you off that easy on the Maglite deal, do you?!!! That sounds like a STORY to me!

You are definitely right, they are not the NORM anywhere...and I know a bunch of places that NEVER see one that big...

I know Redlands area...the place I hunt is on the river side of the road, everything WEST of the public landing that's across the highway from Groton for about 2 1/2 to 3 miles along the river...I love that area down there EXCEPT for the bugs....

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2003, 09:51:00 PM »
I was wondering if they still have the T. Huntington Abbot Club at Groton.  If you want to read about Groton, get a copy of James Kilgo's "Deep Enough for Ivorybills."  I used to visit with the Billy Claypoole charter at the camp of Tommy Rhodes from Estill occasionally.

I started hunting along the Carolina River side before I ever met old Ray Hammond in the mid 1980's in Savannah.  I've hunted from Butterfield down to Crabapple and places inbetween.  When you cross 301 into Alendale County from Georgia, a longtime friend owns both sides of the road, with about 2000 acres on the left, what once was part of Butterfield, and about 10,000 on the right.  For all practical purposes, he ownes everything on the right from the Savannah River up 301 to #3 for awhile.  It's 3 miles from the intersection fo #301 and #3 to the entrance of the plantation and the property extends past.

That hog with Jerry Pierce that graced the cover of TBM was taken there at a spot I placed Jerry, the first time he hunted with me.  Hog weighed 225#.  Several more 200# have been taken with bow and some seen that will go 300#.  

I've gotten bored with hogs and don't mess with them much anymore.  Personal best is 280# with bow.

How about that Ray...all these years and we are still hunting only a couple good bowshots apart.  Looks like you've killed a few good critters after you got started.  Congratulations.

Offline Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2003, 10:41:00 AM »
Funny you mentioned the book "Deep enough for Ivorybills".

I had a hard cover copy of that book and loaned it to a friend several years ago. It was lost when he moved. It was one of my favorite books. I just finished reading "Colors of Africa" by James Kilgo, same author, and just yesterday I got on Books A Million's website and ordered a paperback copy of Deep enough for Ivorybills. Can't seem to find the hardback anymore.

James Kilgo is an excellent writer and a Georgia boy to boot.
For some, hunting is a pleasant way to spend a fall afternoon, for others it is who they are.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2003, 10:53:00 AM »
yes, Cliff....
I still think fondly of showing you the rudiments of turkey hunting...the photo we took together that first day hangs on my trophy room wall as a fond reminder of "the good old days" in Savannah.

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2003, 03:13:00 AM »
Just ordered a copy of the book by James Kilgo, was pretty surprised to get it here in the UK, looking forward to reading it, just love books about that area, "THANKS"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2003, 08:27:00 AM »
If any of you have any questions on the history of archery, or ANYTHING at all on sporting books, I highly recommend that you check with Liquid Amber- he is one of the best read people on sporting books,and especially historical archery, that you are likely to run into, and he's a good guy too!   :D

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2003, 09:43:00 AM »
For those who would like a copy of Kilgo's book, check out the American Book Exchange or ABE.  Quite a number are listed there.  The University of Georgia Press may still carry it as well.

Big hogs will suck up some arrows.  The 280# I shot was bayed by Jack Douglas'[Hall Brothers] dogs.  I put four zwickeys in the boiler room at 15 yards as fast as I could shoot and all the hog did was flinch as they hit.  His only concern at that time was the two dogs talking ugly in his face.  Jack walked up to me and said, "Shoot'um in the neck!"  I did with my fifth and last arrow.

Hog charged Jack and I, force me to toss my empty bow and race Jack to a more secure area.  Jack's helper had already acquired some height.  Hog turned and piled up within 40 yards.  The first four arrows had complete penetration with the broadheads protruding on the off side.

Ray ought to remember those arrows, he gave them to me.  Orange and yellow fletch with Eskimos.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©