Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: American Bison  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Stekewood

• Trad Bowhunter
American Bison
« on: June 06, 2003, 12:23:00 PM »
What would you consider to be an adequate set-up for a meat bull (1,000lbs.).  I am not asking for the minimum that would do the job, but what poundage, arrow weight, K.E., etc. you would feel absolutely confident with.  This is of course assuming that the setup can be shot accurately.
Thanks, Steve
Wildlife represents the difference between rich country and mere land.

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: American Bison
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 12:49:00 PM »
i shot a 1800lb bull. i used a 55 to 60lb bow with cedar arrows and 125gr tips. I would reccomend a little heavier arrows. I hit a rib once and got very poor penatration. The bull didnt even know it was hit. The next shot the next day when I found him slipped between the ribs and had full penatration.
 If i did it again I would feel great with the same 55 to 60 lb bow only id use hardwood arrows with 145 or heavier heads. They would do no problem.
Dean

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »
Here is a photo of a customer of mine, Zane Rakes,   with a 1000#+ cow. Quartering away with a 55#@27" ACS, 580 grain carbon arrow buried to the nock and the cow folded in 40 yards. I would have recommended a heavier arrow but results are what counts!...O.L.

---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2003, 12:26:00 AM »
Dang O.L.,

That is pretty impressive with a 55# bow at that short of draw length!  :bigsmyl:
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 09:45:00 AM »
Dean, He was concerned about hunting moose with that weight and a short draw, not anymore. He was using a Ribtec broadhead which wouldn't have been my first choice either for penetration, but it did a good job. The arrow hit the off shoulder and the arrow broke internally so he had more there if it didn't hit bone......O.L.

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 09:54:00 PM »
O.L.,

Why do you say a Rib-Tek wouldn't be your first choice?  I realize that some don't like the ribs in the ferrule and believe they would inhibit penetration, but after buying some I am pretty convinced they will perform well.

Of course I have yet to shoot an animal with them and always willing to learn something so I thought I'd ask.

I only draw 26" and a 55# bow would be borderline for me confidence wise on elk or bigger.  I realize that not all bows are created equal and a 55# ACS may produce way more energy than an XYZ bow at 60#, but I kind of feel like the more poundage I am pulling without sacrificing form, the more I am compensating for these puny little oompa loompa arms!  :bigsmyl:
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 10:10:00 PM »
DimondD, Oh the RibTech would be fine for deer, hogs and such but it did the job so you can't beat that. The bigger the critter and the lighter the bow, the smaller the broadhead should be. Look at the "bird" points the Indians used, those were for bison. He was going to use the Grizley but was having trouble getting a good edge on it and switched to the Ribtech at the last moment. Personally I would have used a 3:1 broadhead of some kind on that much meat!...O.L.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2003, 09:58:00 AM »
190 Ribteks are as close to 3:1 as is available except Grizzly and some junk heads.  I shot thru a moose with a 60# longbow and a Rib-tickler.  Don't worry about the ferrel and if you do, then fill it in with glue, but it really is a non-issue.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »
Steve, Oh I agree..If you're packing enough horse power, not a problem. Those that can not shoot 55+ pounds and or have a shorter draw length should err on the caution side and smaller 3:1 heads do that....O.L.

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2003, 04:42:00 PM »
Steve,

I bought some of the 160s and 190s.  Those dang 190s look like they belong on a spear!  :D  

That is a BIG 2 bladed head!  :scared:
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2003, 05:53:00 PM »
By the way, I just bought some carbonwood 4000s and I need some extra point weight to bring up the arrow weight and to get them heavy spined things to fly right so I am going to experiment with the 190 and a long alum. adapter.

If it flys good, I am going to try this combo for elk this year.

Ribtek tells you to use the long adapters with this head but the only steel adapters I have are the short ones.  Would these work with the Ribbies, or does anyone sell a long steel adapter?
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 04:52:00 PM »
I have no experience on game over 200lbs, but I have a trick for smoothing out the ribs on a Rib-Tek.  After I have set the head initially I dab on a little extra Ferr-L-Tite and hit it with a hot air gun on low.  This blows the glue in little waves and smooths it into the valleys between the ribs.  Aim the gun in both directions front-to-back and then re-check for squareness.  Makes a nice smooth bond.  It also reinforces the attachment.  I stump shoot with mine and have never had one pull off when attached this way.  (As with any metal head - wipe the inside with a Q-tip dipped in acetone before gluing up).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 12:22:00 AM »
Stumpkiller,

I have put them on with 2 ton epoxy and filled up the ribs with a popcyicle stick.  To tell you the truth though I have never lost one without doing it and I don't personally think the ribs will inhibit penetration the way they are.

Your way would sure be easier on a guy if he ever wanted to get the head off I'll bet!  :D
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2003, 09:42:00 PM »
american bison , Just how dangerous is this game to hunt , just wondering what so dangerous about it... I need to be educated never hunted it ...curious????mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2003, 10:57:00 PM »
unfortunately i have not had the opporunity to hunt really large game.  have shot a couple of close to 300 pigs and had no problem.  because my shoulder sucks and i wanna do this for awhile i hunt with just over 50 lbs.  to compensate i shoot a really heavy carbon arrow.  712 grains to be exact.  i put a 100 grain steel insert in a 125 grain wensel woodsman and load the entire length of the shaft with rubber aquarium tubing.  it flexes so does not affect spine.  shot lots of critters last year and it channeled thru em all.

bob
na

Offline Joe D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2003, 11:27:00 PM »
Mark
From what I've read, it seems that for no known reason they'll charge you. They seem really tame but apparently they will just snap out, and come after you. That's what I've understood. Who knows. Maybe we need an experienced bison pro to fill us in.  :D
Joe D
"Silva Vocat"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2003, 05:41:00 PM »
Joe IM as slow as that old ketsup commerical ...lol Id be in trouble....marko

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2003, 03:09:00 PM »
Hey guys,

We raise bison and "harvest" a few in the field. Some people call it hunting but even though ours are semi wild there's not much challenge to it. I've shot a 1200# bull with my 55# BBO longbow, cedar shaft, and 125gr head. thru the heart and he was down and out in 7 seconds, one other guy shot his thru the lungs with a wheelie bow and it went about 70 yrds.  

I've had lots of experience with these guys and would not trust any buffalo, they are extremely unpredictable and dangerous.

Be careful out there,
Doug
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2003, 07:12:00 AM »
In Yellowstone park, more people are attacked by bison than any other animal. I talked to a bowhunter who shot a bison and it did a flat out charge on him and into the 4" tree he ducked behind. Fortunatly that was its final effort. I like the 190 Ribbies and use them on some of my wooden arrows, that I can put a long taper on, which they must have. In my penetration tests, they did well, but just not quite as good as the 190 Grizzly and that was with the ferrules filled in with glue. They are much easier to sharpen though. Rick

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »
Doug , I would break out my old 68# with either 160 0r 190 gr broadhead....oh yeah and Id be having another arrow on my bow real fast like ...If you have one charging you where would you put the second arrow?....mark#78

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©