3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bowstrings  (Read 245 times)

Offline matt61

• Trad Bowhunter
bowstrings
« on: November 28, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »
I have a 52" t/d bighorn recurve 55# it came with an 18 strand dacron flemish string which I thought was a bit of overkill so I made a new 15 strand dacron flemish string for it,I had put a lot of twists in the string  to get the brace height right as I made it a tad to long , but the bow shot terrible. Could someone give an me idea as to why it is a much better bow with the 18 strand string on it.
thanks
Matt

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bowstrings
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
I had exactly the reverse problem with my last Bighorn. It shot great with a 15 strand string but was absolutely terrible with an 18 strand. The only thing I could come up with was the heavier string was not as efficient as the lighter one and it was causing my arrows to be overspined. Just a guess but I never tried an 18 strand string again.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Dacron doesn't like to be twisted up too much. Many of the other synthetics can handle it but dacron is bulkier.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
What do you mean it shot terrible?  can you be more specific?  Noisier most likely.  Depending upon the number of twists the string itself can make the difference.  You could re-tie the string so it is shorter and requires less twists.  This would be the easiest fix I think.  The bow should not be any different except for noise with a smaller diameter string.  One thing you will notice is that you may have to use silencers and most likely limb savers.  Just my opinion on this one but I have found this to be true lately on most of my bows.
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline matt61

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
It was,nt any noisier but the arrow trajectory changed by well over twelve inches at thirty yards.It just is a more shootable bow with the 18 strand string,also I have catswiskers on all my strings. But I will  give re- tieing the string a go, lucky I kept it.Thanks for the advice sure do appreciate it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©