Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Long Heavy Arrows  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long Heavy Arrows
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »
I just got back 3 weeks ago from Australia. I shot a buff with a #80 black widow saIII.For arrows I used a full lenghth 55/75 goldtip with a 380 beman inside. The broadhead was a 160 gr. grizzly with a 125 gr. converta insert and two 5 gr. brass washers.I weighed six of them and they all weighed between 907 and 910.I do have a 32" draw.But you could get lighter spined goldtips and bemans. I buried it to the fletch at 23 steps. Good Luck, Randy

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2003, 09:38:00 PM »
Checked out the forgewood site--another option!  Not sure I buy everything I read there though.....gonna' have to re-read and make sure I didn't misunderstand the part about paradox.  It don't make any sense the way I read it the first time........

Rick, I'm confused here.  How does Monty get enough energy?  I mean, if he can get away with shooting such a light spine arrow, how hard can it be shooting?

Chad

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2003, 11:01:00 PM »

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2003, 12:49:00 AM »
Chad, Monty gets real close, he shot his cape buff at ten yards. He uses really heavy arrows, 1500 grains! His shafts are very small diameter and he uses a long, narrow two blade head. Rick

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2003, 02:54:00 AM »
Guys, Arrow Dynamics is coming out with a new wood grain tapered carbon shaft.  I've seen a prototype and it's  darn impressive.  It's suppose to be in several sizes with some shafts over 1000grs. without any weight added.  The one I seen was 650grs. with a 125.gr. field point and no other extra weight added. I also heard just today that one shaft is 800grs. without any weight added.  Don't even waste your time trying to get one - it's too early but I'll keep you posted when I learn more.  I've talked with Terry about these shafts since they're made near my house.  If anyone is interested just let me know and I'll give you what info I know. I think these shafts will be what a lot of guys have been waiting for.  ..... Dal

Offline Blue Monday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2003, 07:27:00 AM »
I don't know if this helps but I bought a set of shafts that are laminated maple from the guy that owned Mohawk arrows in Massachusetts. They were spined for 70# they are 5/16 diameter and they don't register on my grain scale .  I will look for the phone # and post it  for you .  Rob

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2003, 02:16:00 AM »
Lilhunter,
I thought that story about Frontier Archery in AK sounded familiar. Started in Chehalis, WA that is about an hour and a half from me.
Man I have to admit those are some sweet arroz their putting out up there, I may have to check those out also.
To many variables LBR but that's a good thing, right!  :thumbsup:  

Hunt wise
Out for now

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2003, 10:13:00 AM »
ttt
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dante

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2003, 03:03:00 PM »
Hey Chad...go to a construction site and pick up some rebar....that ought to be about right weight for you....LOL

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2003, 11:37:00 PM »
Hey Chad, why not just add some weight to carbons? I love wood and I love aluminum and I like carbons. But if I was traveling that far to hunt I would take carbons for sure! I'm making some ICS Hunters up for my wife and another dozen for a friend...they sure do shoot good. Anybody want to loan me an 85# recurve so I can do some testing?   :D
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2003, 12:12:00 AM »
WOW...guess I should've read ALL the post! I officially don't know what the He!! I'm talking about...I'm just envious!!!
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2003, 12:30:00 AM »
Chad , Maybe some 4140 turned ground and polish steel shafting ...should be some heavy..lol just kidding of course ....I to have been hearing about the new wood grains from American Arrow Dynamics the best thing about these shafts guys is they are made in America....Keep an American working buy Arrow Dynamics..or nito stingers or traditionals and the Trad lites...depending on ur weight application.....mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2003, 12:22:00 PM »
Lol Dante--actually my "real" job is in construction, and I picked up a bunch of rebar scraps the other day.  There is a problem with that though--can't find nocks or points that will fit, can't get feathers to stick to it, and it's a devil to sand it down smooth!  On the other hand, it does look good cap dipped and crested......

I have talked with a few prospective dealers for shafting material.  Two of them that deal with wood shafting are way behind on orders, primarily for the extra heavy weight/spine ones--the guy with the Forgewood said he isn't taking any orders right now and to check back in a few months.  Got in touch with Ed at ABS, might go that route, but I rather shoot wood if I can.  Also found one other that has some really heavy woods, and he is going to send me a sample before long.  Arrow Dynamics is still very hush-hush about their new heavy weight carbons.  Looked at some other carbons at Bass Pro Shops the other day, and one company (can't remember which one it is) makes theirs so one shaft fits perfectly inside another to make an extra heavy arrow, but the cost winds up being pretty much the same as the Grizzly Sticks, so if I go with carbon I'll most likely go with those--no use adding more work to it.

Bayou, I don't even know of any arrow makers/dealers that aren't American--lol.  Doing the best I can to keep several busy too--I buy a lot of wood from US dealers to send to Chek-Mate, and the 4 people there keep a lot of Americans busy keeping them supplied with materials.

Still searching, but getting closer I think!

Chad

Offline CAHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2003, 11:59:00 AM »
LBR
I had a really hard time finding arrows for my 92# Black Widow.  I could not, for the life of me, find wooden arrows that would spine out correctly, and believe me, I tried contacting everyone out there that had arrows.  I tried Hickory, Ash, Cedar, and have a standing order for Ipe shafts, although I have yet to see any.  After about 9 months of trying to find wood shafts I finally ended up going to carbon.  But again no carbons were spined high enough for my bow. (This was before the new shafts from the guys in Alaska.  I have yet to try them).  In order to get ones that were properly spined and of proper weight I ended up placing one carbon (Cabelas SST) shafts inside the other (Vapor Carbons 4000)  (that only brought me up to about 600 grains), using tape to center the shaft and get rid of the slop.  I then added weight by dropping #9 shot down the center of the shaft and adding laminating epoxy (it is just about as thick as water and can take a few hours to cure) down the shaft to hold the shot together and prevent it from shifting.  (A WORD OF CAUTION:  The laminating epoxy will ATTACK the epoxy that holds the shafts together.  DO NOT use this method to weigh shafts by themselves.  You must have an outer shaft for this to work properly).  The benefits of this method is that by trying different shafts that I can adjust my spine, I can get all of the shafts to weigh exactly the same, and I get the weight forward in the shaft.  The draw back is that it is now costing me about $10.00 per arrow and a few hours of work per dozen.  I hope this helps.

Offline CAHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2003, 12:03:00 PM »
I forgot to add, that all my arrows for weigh in at 1003 grains (without broadheads

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2003, 12:34:00 PM »
Gary, I'll bet that they cost you more than $10 each if you add it all up. I've been down that same road, I did get a couple ipe shafts to try out and they worked great out of my 85# BW, but Troy dosn't really want to make anymore. What length are your arrows? If they are less than 30.5" the arrows I use might be a bit easier to make, although not any cheaper. I just started playing with the heavy Grizzly stick and its probably not going to do what you want. I loaded it up with a brass insert, 125 grain adaptor and 190 head, with feathers and crown dip it came up to 840 grains and shot well out of my 65# BW. I am going to reduce the point weight some and think that I may be able to get it to fly well from my 79# bow, but at under 800 grains. Rick

Offline CAHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2003, 12:55:00 PM »
Hey Rick,

I have pretty short arms, my arrows are 27" BOP, but I thought LBM might get some ideas from the stuff I went through to find arrows.  For my 72# Widow I found some nice Hickory shafts that work well.  I still want to try Ipe but you beat me to Troy  "[laffsmyl]"   and Bill at Allegheny Mountain has yet to let me know that he got some in.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2003, 06:00:00 PM »
Gary, hes already discovered the problem of finding heavy poundage arrows. I almost had to cancel my first trip to Australia, until I figured out the ones I use now. Troy got me some nice hickories too, but the spine won't be quite high enough for my buff bow. Bill is a good guy also, last time I saw him he had a purpleheart and some black walnut shafts, very pretty. What do you use the 91# Widow for? Rick

Offline CAHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2003, 06:33:00 PM »
Hey Rick,

Trying to rip my shoulders apart moslty   :D  

Getting the heavy limbs was an accident, but I use them for Pigs, Javelina and I hope to one day hunt some of the bigger game with it.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2003, 11:08:00 PM »
Thanks CA--need all the help I can get!  Troy is going to work on some hickory shafts for me, and I will probably try the Grizzly Sticks--I had it figured out what it would take to get me up to 900 grains or so, and hopefully with the extra paradox I require on my longbow (not cut past center) they will work.  Probably be close, if they won't work on an 85# recurve with a draw shorter than mine--just have to wait and see.  I hope to avoid the carbon inside a carbon thing, but I'll go with whatever it takes.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©