Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Big Game Hunt Preparation  (Read 3668 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Game Hunt Preparation
« on: September 17, 2003, 10:47:00 PM »
I saw on one of Rick's posts that they had some problems this last go-around, mainly due to lack of preparation.  What were the problems, what do you do to solve them, and what do you do to prepare for a buffalo hunt?  It will be a while for me yet, but the way I look at it it's never too early to get started.

Chad

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Game Hunt Preparation
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 06:17:00 PM »
Well, I have another question--anyone feel free to reply.  I was wondering about needing a back-up bow for this hunt.  I don't really want to order another, since this will most likely be the only time I have a need for this kind of poundage, but.........

Answers, opinions, or???  :help:  

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 09:37:00 PM »
Chad, if you start preparing now and treat it seriously like it deserves to be treated, you will have no problem. I have seen hunters prepare less for a buffalo hunt than I would for a week of deer hunting. Tuning and shooting the bow is the main thing, studying bovines is also a good idea. Unless you live on a farm or a ranch, not many Americans are used to the size of buffalo or scrub bulls, it would be a good idea to spend some time watching some big cattle up close.
On my first trip I had someone offer to loan me a backup bow, which I took him up on. If you are there when and where I am, I always take my buff bow and several sets of limbs. If you are taking a takedown bow, a back up set of limbs is always an option. Rick

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 11:02:00 PM »
Thanks Rick!  I am treating this very seriously--although it will be a while yet before I get my bow, I am researching shafting and broadheads all I can.  My lady has a pasture bordering her property, with a pretty big bull in it--wonder if my neighbor would mind if I took a few practice shots?  Blunts, of course   :D   (yes, I am kidding)  Luckily I live back in the sticks--no problem studying cattle--seen some huge Santa Gertrudis (sp?) bulls around here.  Even have a buffalo (bison)park within less than 40 miles that I could visit.  

Glad you mentioned the take-down--I was wondering if that would be a good idea for travel purposes?  The longbow I am getting is offered in a one-piece or a two-piece td, which won't help with limbs, but might be handy for travel.

If bussiness continues like it has lately, I may be be able to go a little sooner than expected--got my fingers crossed!  Either way, I plan on being prepared.

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 01:27:00 PM »
Chad, if you ever plan to travel with a bow, get the takedown! I'll never buy another one piece bow. Try stalking that big bull, it may give you a chance to try out your sprinting and tree climbing skills! Rick

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 03:09:00 PM »
Yes --- Take a back up bow. It is great that Rick has one along - and truth is that these heavy bows shoot a lot more alike than lightweight bows - so using another mans bow is do-able. Some other things: Understand that these hunst are for the most part UNLIKE hunts at home - or even out west. Most bowhunters simply do not spot-n-stalk as amainstay of their hunting - and hunting with Rick in OZ is ALL spot-n-stalk. This is not the place to try a new quiver - or a new routine. I recommend using the exact same equipment on some hog hunts before going. Routines: specifically you need to be ready when called. This means a moment and you are "In" the Land Rover and gone for the day - with all you may need at your fingertips - and at the same time travel light enough to be very mobile. Shooting Practice: For these hunts I begin shooting one year ahead with the heavy limbs. Within a couple a months you should be able to shoot 15 shots out of 65# limbs - switch bows and shoot 15 shots out of 75# limbs then finish with your hunting limbs. I did this daily - ending with 40 shots out of 83# limbs. These are bare practice shafts - that flew like darts. Target is two sets of hay bales 5 feet apart. Arrows generally blew through both sets of bails and bounced off my shed. Shots practiced at 15 - 25 & 35 yards. Rick and Monty have done all the grunt work developing arrows - both share freely and can get you within inches of final tuning - then bullet holing your own shafts. Theres more but this could be endless - main point is to FOCUS and treat like - what it is - a trip of a lifetime!!!
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »
Cory , I can shoot a 68 pound bow now but only about 10 times ...what else do you do to work up....?? mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2003, 07:53:00 PM »
Mark - I shoot 65# normally. For Dangerous game I do have a 75# limds and 83# for my Silvertips. I have several handles. I just went from 65 to 75 - at first only for a few shots. Then when I could draw and hold and release smoothly I went to finishing sessions with the 83's. I am in lousy shape - should work out - but I don't and never have. I can feel it when I do this and I need to pay attention - and most of all I need to shoot daily - when I skip a day because I am swammped at work or whatever - my shoulder aches inside (?) so I actually feel better when I shoot every day. Andrew Mackay (Australian Outfitters) and Rick McGowen were very patient with me and never held me back from practice. I would shoot 25 shots out of 65# limbs in the yard in the morning - and shoot judoes every other hour all day - just a few shots each time out of the 83's. We all always knew I was ready. It was a good feeling - and lead to much confidence for us as a team.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2003, 11:02:00 PM »
Cory, thanks for the input!  I'm going to try and set this thing up so I can go when Rick is around.  Going to be a while yet, but I think that is a good thing--will give me plenty of time to practice and prepare.  The bow I have on order is 85@30, and I have found several shaft options that will (hopefully) keep me from having to go through so much trial and error getting weight up and finding the right spine.

You are right on the spot and stalk--never done it, can't see it happening on the whitetail here.  Dang things are tough enough from a blind or treestand, and it's impossible (for me at least) to ease through the woods here without leaves/twigs/etc. making noise.  I do have an OR elk hunt planned for next year that should give me some experience though (a little is better than none I reckon).  Learned plenty about low-crawling and sprinting from dear 'ol Uncle Sam--been a while, but some things you just don't forget!  Going to try and get on some hogs also--we have them in the area (within 20 miles or so anyway), but getting permission to hunt them hasn't panned out yet.  Landowners like to hunt hogs themselves!  Going to talk with a game warden I know, see if he can give me any leads--bound to be someone around that hates them and don't hunt them.

I shoot tournaments with 66# now, and have been for several years.  Before that, I was shooting 82#.  I have a 98@28 flatbow that I can shoot accurately for a dozen or so shots, so I don't think the bow weight will be a problem.  I do have to start making time to practice--right now, other than tournaments, I don't average practicing once a month.  I can, and will, do better on that though.  Right now I am averaging around 8 points per target (5-8-10 scoring), and I know I could do better with practice.

So far I plan on testing tapered hickory and forgewood shafting, and want to see how durable Ribtek, Ace, and Grizzly broadheads are.  I know that the Grizzley have been proven more than once, but I'm not worth a crap at sharpening them--that bothers me.  Any suggestions on other shafts or broadheads to try out?  I looked at the Grizzly Sticks, but don't see paying the price for them, and rather use wood if I can.  

I was wondering if ya'll tried putting together a target that could simulate what you will have to shoot through on a buff--maybe some heavy leather (couple layers), a sheet of 3/4" plywood, 12" or so of dense foam, and another layer of plywood?  Or am I getting carried away here?  I figure if my set-up with go through that, I got it whipped.

One last thing that concerns me is constructing a target that will simulate the size of one of these critters.  I know at tournaments that the larger targets (buffalo, elk, moose, etc.) can fool you and look closer than they are.  Got any suggestions, other than putting out $500 for one of these big targets?

I feel like a newbie asking what bow and arrows I should start with--sure appreciate ya'lls patience and sharing your knowlege.

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2003, 10:05:00 AM »
Cory covered it very well. He was very prepared when he got there and it showed. Those big animals definately look closer than they are, thats one of the reasons for studying them ahead of time. The first buff that I shot at (twice), I thought was about 25 yards, it was actually 34! Cory also did some practicing at night and kept the local hogs very nervous. Rick

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2003, 02:45:00 PM »
Cory, what arrow/broadhead did you use, what kind of speed were you getting, and how good was your penetration?  How long was your shot?

Chad

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2003, 08:54:00 AM »
For a Broadhead other than Grizzly - I like the STOS (nubbed) - then add bird shot to weight. Mine worked great - I had Grizzlies too - which of course are Proven heads in this situation. Arrows - Shoot Ricks - I did. I can understand guys wanting to use wood - and hey I shoot a lot of wood myself - but on this trip you are talking 3 dozen minimum - I would take more next time - arrows - that would take a whole lot of sorting through to get enough shafts to make a consistent batch. Remember there are lots of Donkeys and OZ is the best hog hunting on the planet. I was thoroughly pleased with my 2219 stuffed with the heavy gold tips - 300 grain heads. This is Rick's recipe - you need to paper tune for your own individual length. Arrow Speed - I have NO clue. Penetration: Other than what is described on my practice sessions post - Buffalo - first shot (which is the most important one) - up to the fletch - Full Rib hit / back of the chest. Rick, Andrew and Mike are great buffalo hunters - and the best woodsman / guys in and out of the field. Monty sent me a picture and a note before I went that said this is "a must do hunt" - I agree !!!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2003, 09:33:00 PM »
Cory , whats the lightest weight bow you would use in oz for the buffalo ..and hogs...thanks,Mark#78....I have to do this

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2003, 11:34:00 AM »
Mark I probably wouldn't go with less than 80 in a high performance recurve like a silvertip or widow. 90 in a longbow. I am using 90 # limbs when I go for cape buffalo. Some of my friends say 70# is enough "IF" everything goes perfectly. I don't count on "IF's". All that said it is the arrow that is most important - ours are 970 grains to 1400 grains - and of course we are on the same page with broadheads.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 11:40:00 AM »
PS (Hogs) --- sorry didn't see your hog question until I re-read. I think 65# is plenty for big hogs - and if you are like me you will have a light bow anyway for warn up. Now I hunt with the heavy limbs - but hunting hogs in and around camp I took the light bow with 2219's tipped with woodsmans - this was a lot cheaper than throwing buffalo arrows around - and the hogs in camp are smaller - mostly 150 and under - where as in the bush they are all big - 150 and up. I never saw a little one ????????????????

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2003, 12:42:00 PM »
I always hesitate to recommend a "minimum" weight and it is the first question everyone asks. The reason I hesitate is that as Cory said, things seldom go perfect, so a minimum weight for perfect conditions, may be to light for everything else. For some reason human beings like to stretch limits, so if I say 70#'s is the minimum, someone is going to think, well if is 70#'s is good 65#'s ought to be good too! A lot depends on your arrows, heads and tuning, also obviously on how well you shoot, how well you stalk and on LUCK, but don't count on any luck, most of it belongs to buffalo.
Cory is right about the pigs, there are small ones, but some real monsters as well. The biggest boar I have ever seen anywhere was right next to the stockyards by the ranch buildings and he is seen regularly. He is about 350#'s and if he hasn't broken off his tusks, I'd say they will be a good 12"! We had one taken this year that was no where near as big and it had 9.5" teeth. This isn't the best place in Australia for numbers of hogs, but they are there and it may be the best place for buffalo. Rick

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 05:41:00 PM »
Cory, not trying to open a can of worms here, but what do you consider "high performance"--not brands, but actual performance?  I'm averaging approximately 187 fps with arrows that weigh just under 10 grains per lb (and I have an awful release).

Chad

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2003, 08:58:00 PM »
Chad , what kind of bow are you shooting? the cursader? what poundage? Just curious..mark#78

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2003, 10:16:00 PM »
Yep--I shoot the Crusader (is there anything else?)  :D   66", [email protected].  The 64" seemed to be a bit faster, and just as smooth, but for some reason I like the 66" better.  I have a take-down version coming for the buffalo hunt.  It's a two piece, and aside from a little more mass weight it shoots and feels like the one-piece.

Chad

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2003, 08:39:00 AM »
Chad , My bow @ 53# shoots my cedars at 189 fps..carbons 193....I draw 27 inches...its 68 inch bow...125 gr point ....mark.....I have a new 58 pounder Im going to test...and Im going to shoot a 65# recurve Sat. just to test drive...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©