Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Big Game Hunt Preparation  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Game Hunt Preparation
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2003, 10:33:00 AM »
Chad - "high performance" - by that I mean bows you are describing - bows pushing 200 fps with regular arrows -- specificall I am looking for  Bows capable of shooting heavy arrows - pretty quick. I reference Silvertips because it has been my experience that these bows have a power stroke and limb width that is very desireable for shooting heavy arrows (over 10 gr per #) - Widows shoot well also - but I have had best results with them shooting arrows in the 8 to 10 gr per pound category. There are many very good bows out there I am sure - might even perform as well in these circumstances we describe here - I just don't have experience with those personally. I like longbows and actually hunt with longbows more often than my recurves - but generally I shoot even heavier arrows (pound to pound) than out of my silvertips. Exception is my Robertson Stykbow - it is awesome and shoots a relatively 'light' full length 2020 with a 125 head perfectly - quick and totally quiet. Lately I have been shooting a silvertip longbow and it is best compared to recurves - the power stroke from my 70# shoots harder than my 65# recurve. Very quick and quiet. Speed: I can't really say - I don't shoot through chronographs - nothing against it - just never needed it. I get a comfortable weight bow to shoot and then tune arrows to that bow - considering  arrow weight - tune bare shaft - then tune for silence - bow or arrow adjustments.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2003, 04:21:00 PM »
Thanks Cory--"high-performance" is just a term that gets thrown around too much I guess, without any real parameters to define it.

Bayou, what did the arrows weigh?  My cedars weigh 620-640 grains, give or take--just a hair under 10 grains per lb of bow weight.  A bud of mine got up to 232 fps with Gold Tips off his Crusader, but they were unweighted.  He draws 29" and was pulling approximately 63lbs.

What kind of bow are you shooting Bayou??  I haven't seen any recurves that get that kind of speed with a 27" draw except shooting really light arrows.  I know a guy that has a 32" draw and was barely getting over 200 fps with a Black Widow recurve, shooting 7-8 grains per lb if I remember correctly.  A Habu he shot was a little slower, a Palmer a little faster, and a Chek-Mate Hunter II was the same (as the BW).

Chad

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 06:25:00 PM »
Chad, I have LIghting Longbow ....right now I shoot american arrow dynamics....trad.lites...yeah ur arrow heavier..Id rather heavy arrow amd broadhead too.....thanks , Mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2003, 08:35:00 PM »
Another question--what kind of quiver do you perfer for this type hunting?  I hate bow quivers, but if I have to use one, I will get used to it.

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2003, 01:05:00 AM »
My advice is learn to like the bow quiver. I don't really like them either, but they have less disadvantages than anything else. Back and hip quiver have ruined several stalks, just because they stick up to high on a crawl, also they take to much time to put on, some times you need to go NOW! One guy jumped out of the truck to go after a BIG boar hog and missed with his first shot and his only shot since he left his back quiver in the truck. Pig never new he was shot at. I highly recommend a second source of arrows though, since bow quivers just don't hold enough. Something you can hand to the ph on the final part of the stalk, so you will have extra ammo nearby!!!!!!!!!
Rick

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2003, 10:06:00 AM »
I like Catqivers. I like them for all of my hunting - but especially for spot-n-stalk - which is the majority my hunting. Plenty of arrows - concealed fletch - and out of the way till needed. Rick does make excellent points though - and bow quivers are the most handy - but Rick has a very steady shooting hand with the bow quiver on his bow - very few other people do - and I know I don't when the bow quiver has arrows running at 1000 grains. Shots (1 in 8 for me) tend to roll to the left ) I am a right handed shooter). Rick also shoots blue fletch which is an excellent color for hunting. They can generally fly under the radar in most game shot situations - yet are easier to find than natural or camo colors. He has better eyes than me though and I am shooting these technicolor fletches that basically super bright. I need to keep them out of sight. Snagging on brush has happened - but it is slight for me and a trade off I can deal with. Extra Arrows: Yes you must have back up. A plastic arrow box will do. I used a simmons quiver for back up arrows - excellent - but the price is way to high - try and make some maybe. I own a Glenn St. Charles quiver which I am using instead of putting on the wall. It holds more arrows properly than my catquiver. Very light also.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2003, 04:08:00 PM »
I have basically the same problem with a bow quiver Cory--makes my bow feel really awkward to me.  I'm built all wrong for a Catquiver also (tried one last year).  I'm a pretty big guy, and the Catquiver is just too narrow.  I do have two St. Charles quivers, but man do I hate to use either one of them!  Both are limited edition (#77 and #79 of 100 or less), signed and numbered by Mr. St. Charles.  One was used very little, the other only had arrows displayed in it.  I guess if I have to, I will try one of those.  I like the Simmons tube quiver, but I thought it was a little pricey for what it is also.  Maybe I will trade one up before long.  

Thanks again for the input--man, I as anxious as I am now, by the time I get to go I will be a nervous wreck!

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2003, 11:47:00 AM »
Here's my suggestion. Everything in the outback really takes a beating, so if you have something that you want to keep in mint condition, leave it home! I would get a good lightweight bowquiver like the Great Northern and make up a tube of backup arrows. I used a section of 3" pvc DVS(drain, vent and sewer) pipe and two end caps. Glue one end on and cut a piece of foam for the inside at each end. Make a carrying strap from nylon web. Either paint it camo or use camo tape. This will hold and protect about 5-6 arrows in the back of the 4X4 and can be carried along on stalks. Personally I don't care for the Catquivers, they seem to squeek whenever they get dusty and there is a LOT of dust in OZ. Cory was fortunate he didn't have to crawl much on stalks, but almost bowhunters can count on it. This year I crawled on my belly about 20 yards, after a huge old bull. A back quiver would have stuck up way to high. Crawling with a bow is tough enough, carrying anything else makes it nearly impossible. Sometimes no matter how many arrows you have with you, you will wish you had more. Cory asked me why I brought so many arrows, a few days later he said,"oh, I see"! Rick

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2003, 02:31:00 PM »
Rick, what do you think about this one?  Numbers 5 & 6 on this page.
  http://www.stickbow.com/lonewolf/quivers.html

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2003, 02:28:00 PM »
Hey Chad, I use to use a hip quiver, but gave it up because everytime a bent over to go through some brush it would catch up the fletchings on anything higher than my back. Also we had one buff hunter that used one and he blew one stalk when an old cow keyed right in on the fletchings sticking up over his back as he crawled. Also I don't think that this one holds enough arrows(4) for Australia. As Andrew says for buffalo, 6 is minimum 8 is better! Rick

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2003, 04:00:00 PM »
I have been hunting with a CatQuiver 'Mini' by Rancho Safari and have really come to like it. It is a small St Charles type quiver of metal/plastic with fleece fabric covering it completely, and it can attach to the daypack or fanny pack they sell...you can view it at  http://www.ranchosafari.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RS&Category_Code=CQ  

It will hold six arrows with big feathers and broadheads on it..the thing that I like about it is this-

I use it for hogs in South Carolina where we stalk them in clearcuts that have had pines planted in them..so you hunt it a lot like a corn field...crossing rows, look both ways...you know...when you get on them in there...its sometimes as many as 20 to 30 of them and the landowner wants them OUT..so we try to take as many as we can...and the 5 arrows I put in my bowquiver could turn into not enough in those situations.

The mini, when hooked to my day pack, stays low and out of the way if i am sliding through brush, but handy right behind my rear end to pull the broadhead end of the shaft out with my right hand-it keeps the fletch dry, which in South Carolina its usually raining or just stopped, or in the mornings its dew-y as all get out..98% humidity and all..

Or I can use it without the day pack..I put it over my left shoulder, so the bottom is sticking right by my right butt cheek slanted up toward my left shoulder..its not in the way if i have to belly crawl becuase i worked ont he strap and made it so I can tighten it up till it stays EXACTLY where I want it, low so it doesn't grab brush when i duck down,and it works like a champ.

At 46 bucks its not a pocket book killer either, if you bang it up, tear it up...and have to replace it.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2003, 11:56:00 PM »
I'm having a blast reading all this good info! Chad, I can't wait to read about your hunt. You're taking a video camera right? How about writing it up and sending it to Traditional Bowhunter magazine!
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2003, 12:33:00 PM »
Man, the anticipation is killing me--I got to settle down some, or I'll have an ulcer before I get to go.  Gonna' be quite a while yet, but at least I get some condolance by looking into gear, buying a new bow, etc.  I hope to take a camera with me, for sure.  Dunno about an article--besides being a nobody, I'm not too big on stuff like that.

You might want to look into going too--it's gonna' take me quite a while to get the cash and gear together--start saving your pennies now!

Chad

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2003, 10:29:00 PM »
What outfitter you going with? Do they have a web site? I'm just wondering what the cost would be. Thanks
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2003, 03:46:00 AM »
www.australianoutfitters.com.au

Not "cheap", but I think it's a lot better deal than Africa if you want to chase really big game.  After the initial cost, you can go for scrub bull at a reasonable price, or minor species (dingo, donkey, and hogs) for free.

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2003, 05:00:00 PM »
One of the best parts of the Aussie prices is that you bring your capes, horns etc. home with you as checked baggage. That can easily save you a $1,000 as compared to Africa and you have a much better chance of getting the right stuff, in good condition. It can take well over a year to get stuff back from Africa. Also none of the animals were "free" over there. Also a lot of addons to the prices in Africa that you don't find out about until the add every thing up at the end. Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©