Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hog hunting in TX, how do I prepare?  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog hunting in TX, how do I prepare?
« on: October 12, 2003, 11:53:00 AM »
I am going hog and javvie hunting after the PBS 2004 next year with some friends and wanted some suggestions on what I would need and how to best prepare for a successful hunt.

I will be shooting a 55# t/d recurve with 2018 shafts tipped with a 125gr Snuffer.  Optics are 8x42 binos.  I use a bow quiver, although I could take a back quiver if it made more sense.

My back east rubber boots might not be the best choice for Texas desert and prickly stuff, so what do you suggest for footwear as well.

My main concern is how to practice.  What types of shots should I expect to be making?

Thanks to all who have the experience and can share it.

Snakeeater
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog hunting in TX, how do I prepare?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 09:06:00 PM »
Come on now guys, someone must have some advice for me!

Terry, would this be better in the Pow Wow instead of here?

Snakeeater

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 08:59:00 PM »
Hi Snakeeater,

Your rig should work fine on hogs.  I would use whatever quiver you feel comfortable with.  I would also bring the rubber boots.  Hogs have a way better nose than whitetail in my opinion.  I don't know if I'm quite into double digits on hog kills, but I'm pretty close if not, and every one of them was great table fare.  It's also been my experience hogs normally travel in groups, or sounders, except for the bigger dominant males that travel alone and are much more wary than most hogs.  Everytime I shoot a hog it runs until it dies and then keeps running with the pack another 100 yards!  Shot a 40 to 50 pounder a couple of years ago dead nut center through the heart and he still ran 250-300 yards.

Have a blast.

Scott G

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 10:54:00 PM »
Snake, See if you can get Rick Welsh s tape bow set up but the one with the hog hunts thats the way we do our hog hunting, just like was on that tape and there are lots good squealin calls you can get now that help also.Sharp broadheads and comfortable boots sometimes you have to move quick...play the wind and dont miss..lol...mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline FLHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 10:49:00 AM »
Personally I would not use the Snuffers, but a two blade broadhead close to 3 to 1 to get better penetration.  IMHO the Snuffer with the 3 blade configuration has too much drag which may limit penetration.  That coupled with an arrow of 10-11 grains per pound of draw should perform fine.
Aim Hard!

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 11:28:00 AM »
I went in march of 2002, I was told to wear leather boots cause the rocks will rip up others! I believe it (at least in the area I was at) I am not sure when you are going but when I went it was in the 70's the first to days and then the last three we had a high of 30! Bring warm cloths if you are going in the early spring.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 01:28:00 PM »
Im not sure where you will be hunting but the terrain can vary greatly in this huge state. Im assuming you will be in the South. 55# bow will be pleny. I have found the best head for the job is a very heavy, durable, two blade. Let me suggest the Grizzly 190 gr. "el grande". They have proven to be the best head for "my" pig hunting. 1/4ing shots are a must on the bruiser hogs. Also, its been said that a hog can produce blood faster than he can loose it. lol! I think I believe that. I've seen perfectly hit hogs run a mile. Also seen hogs roll over and die from hits that wouldn't have dropped a squirrel, although its very rare. Footwear is an absolute must! I live here in s texas and wouldn't leave the house without my Redwing steeltoe boots. Im sure you can find somthing a little more comfortable for yourself if you try. I might also suggest long sleaves even if its warm. Everything sticks and scratches. You will want to take a needle and tweezers, along with antiseptic(JUST IN CASE). I seem to always have thorns in my knees from kneeling down. Last but not least I carry a six battery maglight for protection when tracking. Serves as a good light and even the biggest hog can have his attitude adjusted if need be. A word of advice on injured hogs "dont shine a light in their eyes if injured and not dead" They WILL ATTACK the light!  Now, with all the sales pitch complete Id like to say good luck, have fun, kill lots of hogs. They will make more. Curtis

Offline Dante

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 03:00:00 PM »
Don't forget the tweezers!!! They are imperative that you have because you will get stuck some....

I like moccasins (I wear Carl Dyers double soled) for south Texas hunting.

Also remember the permanone or at least some Off for ticks and fleas.  Most all the javelinas are covered with fleas on their bellies and when you skin them the fleas will get on you and they bite hard.

I have killed them with snuffers but I prefer good 2 blade heads.

Some kind of a stool or folding seat would be  nice too...as there are no trees to get in that are very large.

thats my initail advice.  Oh one more thing....

A VARMINT CALL.....after you shoot at javelinas....whether you hit it or not...blow like heck on the call and they will more often than not come back and give you another shot.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 03:01:00 PM »
Be prepared to come to anchor up to a dozen times before you get a shot.  Dang things wont be still sometimes.

Don't shoot for the 'deer' kill zone....shoot more forward of the animal.  Right up from the front leg on a broadside.

If there's one hog...you gotta be sneaky and play the wind...when there a bunch of them, you can get away with more noise...as they think you are just another hog.  Don't be afraid to be more aggressive in your stalk...its amaizing what you can get away with with a bunch of them making noise and movement.  But the loners are tricky.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 03:06:00 PM »
I'll be hunting after PBS also.
Since this is the first of April plan on hot weather. I plan to bring a pair of chaps for trailing through the bad stuff. A pair of small pruners may be good for setting up a spot to hide in.
Fleas, fleas and more fleas. If you get a javilina or a hog there will be fleas. I like to carry a small container of 7-7-7 dust to dust down a kill. This is the stuff used in vegtable gardens and is safe. Others sometimes use sprays.

Bring plenty of blunts for chasing rabbit type critters.
Bring a folding stool if you plan on hide in the shade.
Have fun, Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline so tx pighunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 06:52:00 PM »
First off where will you be huntin at? If its deep south leather boots or snake boots are a must at least good hiking boots with snake chaps or leggins. Your setup should do quite nicely but I tend to also lean towards a two blade thats shaving sharp. About three weeks ago I brought down a hog that field dressed 315lbs with my 55lb longbow a dougie fir shaft and a 125 grain magnus. This was done after he false charged turned and I drilled him through his left side right behind the elbow(note: keep the shot as tight as you can) he went fifty yards and piled up. If your heads are razor sharp they will slice right through the shield and do their job. If you have one you can use a pop up blind to hunt trails or over water holes if its really warm. You might want to bring some cool weather gear and maybe some light rain gear. Bring plenty of arrows with bunny heads and maybe even some bowfishing tackle if your into bowfishing. Spring time of the year all the carp, buffalo, and gar are spawning shooting can be fast and furious. If you want email me and I can really give you a good list of what you might or might not need. I do work as a bowhunting guide and I do some taxidermy work also so I get to meet alot of outfitters so if I can't help you I probably know someone who can.
   Keep em sharp and walk the way of the hunter.  :thumbsup:

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 09:46:00 PM »
Having been chased by big female hog over 400 lbs...its nice to have some fire power as back up , but there not going to allow that on public ranch with alot bowhunters probably ....we had 600 plus Russian boar going after hunters and game wardens made us pack a weapon with us on some hunting property once ...I never new I could still move like that when I had too...wow..mark#78

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2003, 11:16:00 PM »
OK. As far as your boots go, If you can walk any distance in the rubber boots w/o rubbing blisters, wear them. They may very well come in handy, depending on what type of country you'll be in. Not for scent control, but for mud & water. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO WALK, SO WEAR SOMETHING COMFY. I'm like littlefeather and just wear the Redwings. I think you'll have trouble w/ a back quiver, if you're going spot & stalk in the brush (is there any other way to hunt?). Be able to shoot on your knees through small openings in the brush. I just started in trad shooting and haven't hunted with my recurve yet, so I can't make any comments on your weaponry. All of my archery hogs are with a 70lb compound, and the 115 gr 4 blade Muzzy's blast through everything but the gargantuan. Your binocs sound OK and you probably won't use them much. I never use any hunting hogs. If you are going spot & stalk or still hunting around water and lay-up areas, be accutely aware of your surroundings. Hogs will often "burrow" up under low bushes and you can easily walk right past them, not even knowing they're there. They catch your scent and game over. The water holes won't be the concentrator they would be in the hot months. Like Terry said, you can get away with a lot of noise, but don't get careless. Use all of your senses to locate them. They are noisy when in groups and they stink. Be prepared to get scratched up by thorns and remember, those scratches won't be life threatening so don't sweat 'em. I strongly encourage you to stalk those hogs. They were made for this! You may also get more than one shot out of a group of hogs. The most shots I ever got was six, hitting three, at one tank (pond). That's what's great about bows-no BOOM. Unless there's an extended warm spell, snakes shouldn't be a factor (during March), just keep them in the back of you mind. The only thing I can tell you about javies is sometimes they'll freeze and allow you to pass by if they see you. I don't hunt them but I hunt in their realm. Good luck, be safe and have fun. I may see you in S.A.
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 02:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the posts guys. I do hope to see lots of you in SA. Maybe we should all plan to get together for a meal there one evening.  At the last in Baltimore one I coordinated a crab cake dinner that lots of us went to.  I don't know the area well enough to do it for SA though.

Anyway, I will be hunting near Uvalde (sp) which is about halfway between San Antonio and the Mexican border if you head west from SA.  We will be hunting right after the PBS weekend, the last three days in March, Monday through Wednesday.

So, if this changes or adds to any of your comments, let 'er rip...

Snakeeater

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 03:05:00 PM »
Hey Larry , I will try and call you tonight if I make it back to Baton  Rouge not too late ...mark#78

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »
Snakeeater, may I suggest   La Fogata  as a restaurant to check out for a get together? It is about 6 miles from the Adams Mark, just up I-10. Great Mexican food and mariachis. I also suggest that you request that the mariachis play "Charanga"  :thumbsup:
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 10:31:00 PM »
OK Snakeeater,
I have a lease not too far from Uvalde, close to Utopia.  This will get some folk's shorts bunched but I would guess the VAST majority of hogs killed in this country are around feeders.

If this is how you intend to hunt, don't for a second think it will be a cake walk or that it's not sporting.  For the record, I use feeders as do most people in this area.  Since the hogs are coming to you, you can't play the wind.  You will definitely want to wear rubber boots for scent control and I would also recommend washing your cloth's in scent free soap and would shower before you head out with scent free soap.

I think you will have a hard time if you try to spot and staulk.  Hogs here spend the day in the thickest stuff they can find.  When they leave the bedding area they travel at a very good clip, usually because their headed to somebody's feeder(s). If you have an idea where they travel you have a chance of shooting them without hunting around a feeder.

If the area you hunt is like our lease it will be covered up in rock.  It's hard to walk on without making noise.  If you sit in one spot you can use that to your advantage.

Hogs have fleas but I have found they prefer wild animals to people, just don't drag your feet while skinning them.  Also, the snakes pretty much disappeared on our lease after the hogs showed up.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2003, 08:45:00 PM »
Scott,

You mean I will actually have to bring food with me instead of living up to my handle?  Well, darn. Thanks for the info on feeders and such.  I think that we will be hunting sendaros as they said that we would have to get our own corn to lay out or let them know ahead of time.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2003, 08:49:00 PM »
Brute Killer,

I live near where the Baltimore convention was held, that was why I suggested the get together. Maybe a TradGang'er who lives in SA or nearby would like to find a place near the Adams Mark and get everyone hooked up for it.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2003, 02:03:00 PM »
Anyone else have some advice?  So far, it has been great. The tweezers are a really good suggestion, something you never hear about in the articles that are written about hunting hogs or javies.

Keep 'em coming guys,

Snakeeater

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©