Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 60# Longbow vs Scrub Bull  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Bowhunting_Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
60# Longbow vs Scrub Bull
« on: November 01, 2003, 11:21:00 PM »
I'm going up to the Top End of Australia next year, hunting hogs, I'm considering trying to take a Scrub Bull with my 60# longbow.
I've got mates that have shot Wild Scrubbers with compound bows, say they go down easy enough with good arrow placement. They reckon they're pretty soft skinned compared to Buff and the like.
My real question is....
 Will a 60# longbow spitting a heavy arrow get good enough penetration?  
I'll prolly be shooting powder filled (Gold Tip)Big Game 100+ tipped with Grizzly 190grn heads.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 60# Longbow vs Scrub Bull
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »
BA, scrubbers are not nearly as arrow resistant as buff, but they're not soft either. We got one this year that would most likely be a new world record and it was big bodied as well, I guessed 1900#'s, but that is very exceptional. This bull was shot several times with poor placement, but the penetration was nothing to brag about either. the bow were in the mid 60's to mid 70's range. Scrub bulls are very wary, so tough to get a shot with trad gear. The on this year was the first where I hunt and only the second with a bow. I've wanted a nice one myself, but hard to come by when looking for them! Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©