Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: From Out of the Yukon...  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
From Out of the Yukon...
« on: December 02, 2003, 04:19:00 AM »
While sorting out the house of a recently deceased relative, some friends of the family found a book they thought I might be interested in. It was written by James H. Bond (copyright 1948), and Titled "From Out of the Yukon". It's about a trip taken by the author to hunt a part of Alaska no man had ever hunted before. He takes many game animals (with a rifle), but the adventure contained in the pages is something none of us will probably ever get to experience as he did.

Two of the paragraphs that really stood out in the book, relate to an incident with a moose one of the guides had before the Author's trip. I thought I'd share it with all of you!!! I hope he wouldn't mind...

[At breakfast Norman told us about an experience he had with a bull while hunting on the Stewart River near Lansing. He needed meat so badly that if he didn't get a moose or some other animal his dogs were going to die from starvation. For a trapper to lose his dogs back in a wilderness would be nothing short of a catastrophe. Norman had "grunted" a number of times in what he said was the most perfect imitation of a bull he had ever made. He received an answer finally from a point far away in back of him. At the time he was facing a big open basin. He replied after waiting a short time. No answer came. He grunted again. Still no answer. He took the dry shoulder blade of a cow moose that he had carried in his pack sack on many a hunt and rubbed it up a dry small spruce. Then in the same slow motion he firmly rubbed it down the tree, then up, and down again. No answer came and Norman turned to watch the basin in front of him. Fifteen minutes passed and Norman said that as he sat there he had the "feeling of death" in him even though he had not been alarmed in any way. He turned slowly and fifteen feet behind him and slightly above was a giant of a moose. His nose bore a five inch gash and his hair was standing on end from the middle of his back to the base of his horns. On his chest was a mass of blood that would turn the stomach of any man.
   The moose lowered his head to charge as Norman raised his rifle to fire. The bullet entered the head near the eye and the moose crumpled to the ground and slid almost to Norman, stone dead. Norman told us he was sick with fear. Knowing Norman as I do, I knew it would take a mighty ferocious animal to even frighten him at all. He said that for two hours he walked along the mountainside and could not bring himself back to the moose although all the time he knew it was dead. One cannot help but marvel at the ability of large four hoofed animals to go noiselessly through the brush and trees when we small two legged people cannot go anywhere without making some noise that the animals can hear.]  

I've never hunted moose before, but if it's anything like the above incident, I think I'd have no problem classifying the event as a close encounter with a "Dangerous Game" animal!!! And.....

...I'd probably need a new pair of shorts!  :scared:  

Take care,

Stump

P.S.: The book is an autographed copy by the Author to the original owner dated "October 30, 1948". Man, What a treasure of a book to have landed in my hands. I don't know how it happened. If anyone would like to borrow it, send me an e-mail!!! I'd be happy to share it!!!
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: From Out of the Yukon...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »
I've heard people say that moose are just big dumb "swamp donkeys", when they say that, I know they have no experience hunting bulls in the rut.
I've never had a close call like the one above, but I have had bulls sneak up behind me, through stuff so thick, you wouldn't think a chipmunk could sneak through it and I never knew that they were 5 yards away until they go my wind and exploded out of there. Very unnerving. Rick

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 10:04:00 PM »
Stump Buster

Thanks for the story. Most moose are not too threatening but called (bull calls) moose can be something else!! They can come charging in destroying everything in front of them looking for that interloper. Man a climbable tree isn't always there either!! Their eyes are abulging and noserils just a flaring. It IS scarey! Now a days if there is an antler restriction like 50 inches you can have a real problem if the bull isn't legal and comes charging in to do harm! Tough to explain why you shot an illegal bull after calling it in. The old self defense argument doesn't sell.

Thanks for putting me on to that book!

Rick - You are right! Them big ugly clumsy looking animals are very good at sneaking in. Usually they do that sneak on a cow. So if your cow calling you had better cover the old hine!
John/AK

Offline lcoast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 12:23:00 PM »
From my experience in Moose country the scariest animal out there is a cow moose protecting her calf.

Stump Buster, don't know if it still holds true but for years here in BC the train that ran to Prince George killed more moose every year than hunters. Rutting bulls attacking the train.  :)

=keith=
=keith=

Busted chairs and broken dreams.

Offline Armand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »
we had a guy up here in maine this year that got hit by a moose after looking for a place to let his bear dogs out they see the moose standing in the alders and all of a sudden it cgarged Jim and hooked him with his horns and threw him twenty yards thru the air Jim landed and the other guys tried to get the Moose away from Jim and it put one gy under thepick up and tried to root him out with his horns finally he got sick of playing with them and slowly walked away i was working at my hospital project when they brought him in

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »
John/Alaska,

If ya have trouble finding the book, let me know and I'll send ya my copy!

Take Care,

Stump
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 08:12:00 PM »
In my 28 years in Alaska, the only critter I have had to kill in self defense was a young bull that charged me in a willow swamp. The snow was up to my thighs and the largest tree was only up to my eyes. I was packing a Win 9422Mag that day. Had I of not been armed, there is every chance I would have been reduced to a bloody hole in the snow. Please note that I now pack something with much more punch than a .22Mag!

I cannot think of a time when I have been more frightened than trying REPEATEDLY to drop that critter before contact was made. I never underestimate them.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©