Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: More Heavy Arrow Stuff  (Read 1619 times)

Offline CAHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
More Heavy Arrow Stuff
« on: December 06, 2003, 03:58:00 PM »
Hey Guys,
It seems that I blast through my nocks pretty quickly these days.  Over the last month or so I have had 5 nocks from various sources break during the release.  Scares the $#%@ out of me  "[laffsmyl]"  .  Right now I am shooting my BW 73# bow and using hickory shafts (They are about 800gr. with broadhead). Does anyone have a good source of strong nocks for these arrows.  

Gary

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: More Heavy Arrow Stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 08:05:00 PM »
I use the Bohning Classics and the only time they break is when they get hit by another arrow. Rick

Offline CAHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 12:31:00 AM »
Rick, those are the ones that are breaking the most.  I am using Duco to put them on. Wonder if that is the problem, or if I just need a different lot of nocks

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 10:34:00 AM »
Thats very strange, is your taper right on? If the taper is set to wide it can force the nocks to split. I would try a different batch. Don't think the Duco would be a problem, I use Fletchtite though, but it depends on what finish you are gluing them to. Rick

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 12:13:00 PM »
I use the Bohnning Classics myself--my main bow is [email protected], but I also have them on arrows that are (occassionally) shot from a flatbow I have that is 98@28--never had one break from just being shot.  I was told by a guy that shoots really heavy bows that he won't use the Classics though--think he uses Marco.

Chad

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 11:26:00 AM »
Gary,

Every once in a while I hear of shooters having this problem. Normally there are three things can cause this.

1.) Wrong angle on the nock taper

2.) Arrow slightly moving forward or being pushed forward by the thumb during draw.

3.) Nocks fitting too tight.

Nock taper being the wrong angle will force major pressure on the thin leading edge of the nock causing the nock to split. I find this to be the most common problem with splitting nocks. Also when the angle is wrong the nock often doesn't seat all the way down to the tip of the taper. Make sure that the nock seats solid with full wall and valley contact. One way to tell this is to cut off one of your nocks. If the nock pops off after only cutting away the thin edge you will know the angle is wrong.

Sence you have already tried different nocks with the same results I think we can rules this part out.

If your arrows are moving forward or being pushed forward during draw all I can say is try a different style of release. Just about everyone that has told me of having this problem shoots three under. If you shoot three under try switching to split fingers. If you already shoot split finger then try gripping the string alittle different.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline CAHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »
Troy, you might have just hit the nail on the head.  :bigsmyl:    I do shoot three fingers under.  I will watch and see if the nock is moving fwd.  

Thanks

Offline Chuck Nesset

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »
Gary, I experienced the same thing you are a couple of years ago. I made up some 2020 classics and was shooting them out of a bow around 55# as I recall and had four out of the dozen nocks break while shooting. I normally shoot between 20 and 25 yds so I wasn't hitting my nocks, they just broke. I was really pi$$ed off and  a little gun shy after number four. Like you I thought it must have been a bad batch so I changed them all and haven't had a problem since. Just thought you would like to know that you are not the only one to experience this problem. Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©