Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Broadhead choices for hogs?  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead choices for hogs?
« on: December 14, 2003, 08:42:00 AM »
I don't want to start a "war" with this, just a common sense approach for the best combination of good blood trails and penetration.  :D

It's difficult to beat a 2 blade cut-on-contact broadhead for penetration. I prefer 4 blade broadheads, in a cut-on-contact design for better blood trails.  :help:

What would you suggest for wild hogs?
Thank you, Bowhunter57
George Washington didn't defeat the British with his freedom of speech....he shot them.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead choices for hogs?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 03:27:00 PM »
Well, I've killed them with both 2 blade and three blade BH's.  My favorite have been Magnus 2 blades weighted up to 260 grains.  I shoot 47# and get great results with this set-up.  I've found that the 2 blade will go around ribs and is more likely to generate an exit hole.  The results for me have been good penetration, good blood, and dead pigs!
Good luck!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 11:44:00 AM »
I'm a firm beliver in matching the type broadhead to the weight bow. If your shooting lower weight bows then by all means stick to a good made two blade. If your pulling anything above 55# them your in good shape for whatever style head you want to shoot.

I've shot just about every head made and I keep going back to the snuffer for hogs.

Now, when I manage to get enough $$$$ for heading down under I'll most likely switch to a good two blade. Sounds like those Buffs have pretty thick skin and for that I'll switch.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »
Ditto on what Troy said, shoot the biggest head that you can be reasonably sure will get complete penetration on the biggest animal you are likely to encounter. Rick

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 01:52:00 PM »
I shoot 64 lbs at my draw..I've shot two blade heads forever...Zwickey Delta, Magnus One, then Simmons Safari's (200 Grain)  I have recently started shooting Wensel Woodsmans...they only come in 125 gr..and you weight them up with inserts, lead, whatever you like..bottom line, I dub the tip to make a chisel instead of a needle..and I file sharpen them...I am very, very impressed with the blood trails, and pass through shots I am getting on hogs up to 250 lbs couple weekends ago.

Going again this coming weekend..hope to get a real monster I saw last time that was too far away..if I do..I will take some post mortem shots of kill so you can see the effects of the b'head.

I like these three blade heads!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 04:12:00 PM »
Thank you for the informative replies, gentlemen!

I'm shooting a 64" custom recurve that's 56# at my draw length. My hunting arrow weight is over 480 grains.

As for Snuffers...about the time I consider using them, I'll have someone tell me about a broadside shot at 14 yards (on a whitetail), with a 55# recurve that didn't pass through.  :rolleyes:  No thank you, I'll pass.

I also believe that sharp broadheads and shot placement is the only way to go.  :cool:  However, my main concern with a 2 blade is getting a good blood trail. I shot a nice 10 pointer that weighed 240, broadside, through both lungs, at 12 yards that never left a drop of blood (2 blade Wolverine). The good news is that I witnessed him falling....at 103 paces. Yuck! I've never had a deer travel more than 60 yard with a multi-blade broadhead, prior to this.

How about a wider cut 2 blade? A Simmons Shark, perhaps?

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
George Washington didn't defeat the British with his freedom of speech....he shot them.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 08:45:00 PM »

Just what is "your draw"?

Big diff in 25 and 30.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 10:42:00 PM »
Terry Green,
My draw length is 28" and my bow is exactly 56# at that draw length on a bow scale.  :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 08:41:00 AM »
If I could shoot only one head for that weight and draw, and not be afraid to shoot a #300 boar....I's shoot a Wensel Woodsman.

Slight Chisled tip, and dangerously sharp.

Second choice would be a Zwickey Eskimo.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »
I have shot alot of hogs with my recurve and all, except for 2 were with a Muzzy 125gr. or 115gr. 4bl. head.  The other 2 were with the Phantom 125gr.  I cannot say all were pass-thrus, but most of them were, on hogs from 50-250lbs.  Shot placement is the most important thing next to a sharp broadhead.  A little arrow weight does not hurt either.  I normally shoot arrows around 500grs. out of 56# bows.  Tight and low behind the shoulder will put them down very quickly.  I have never liked 2 bl. heads due to the slit they cut and the less visible blood trails, but then agian I do not have alot of experience shooting them, but I do know what a 4bl. heads does to them and it leaves very nice, large holes.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Traveling Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »
I am a new member and find all of this very interesting. I have shot several large 200# plus Texas bush hogs and I find it is more important to have great shot placement than size, type or configuration of your broadhead. If you stick the arrow in the right place any good combination of broadhead/bow will do the trick. Before the current proliferation of broadheads some of our hunting forfathers did a lot of hunting with what they had. They just learned to shoot better, shoot at the right time and not to shoot when the shot was nor right. I shoot a 62#, 60" Heritage Archery Mountain Bow. It will take any game in North America if I just do my part. Concentrate on finding what works well for you then pick a spot and hit it.
William A. Aiken II
8639 Cantua Creek
Helotes, Texas 78023

Offline trad kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
i saw a guy use muzzy phantoms on a wild boar and the phantoms are four pblade cut on contact

Offline TradAlaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »
Taken hogs with 2 bladed Magnus, SilverFlame, Montec G5, RazorCaps, Snuffers, and Wensel Woodsmans.  Until this year, I shot a Black Widow recurve 68#@28", drawing 29".  I am now (at age 66) shooting BW recurve 62#@28", drawing 29".  I am a big fan of any of the 3 bladed heads mentioned above.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
I have hunted hogs only once.I can only say that I was well pleased with the modoc two blade heads and cedar arrows out of my 55# recurve.Troy  expressed  my feelings on "2 blades heads in light bows". I am relatively sure any head would have taken my hog with the bow I used.

Offline DELTA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
HOGS DONT BLEED MUCH ANYWAYS.TAKE THE PENETRATION. (2-BLADE)
JIM BELLEVILLE

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
I believe Jim    :goldtooth:

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
What? They bleed ... like a stuck pig!  :biglaugh:  

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
On the ranch I hunt in South Texas, the brush can be very thick and difficult to even crawl through (everything with thorns, of course) and you want all the blood you can get. Even a hard-hit mortally wounded hog can go 80-100 yards in that stuff and you will have a very difficult time finding them without a blood trail (and you'll loose some blood of your own in the process). That being said, use a 3-bladed head (I use Snuffers and Woodsman BHs). The outfitter that runs the hunting operation on this ranch tells me every year that they loose more hogs with 2-bladed BHs, because they just do not bleed as much.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
I have never had a problem with MAGNUS STINGERS 4 BLADE 150 GN.
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
I have killed a lot of hogs,  I have used MA3& MA2 heads, Magnus 2 blades, Zwickey 2 blades, and now Wensel Woodsman heads.

It has been stated earlier in this thread, if you are shooting low poundage, which to me is 55 pounds to 40 pounds, on hogs get a two blade head, razor sharp, in any configuration I have listed.  

If shooting higher poundage,  I have a hard time grabbing anything other than a Woodsman.  I shot through the spine of a pig season before last at 18 yards.  The head came out the chest of the pig, and there was plenty of blood.  

Only broadheads of solid construction should be used, leave your replacement blade heads at home.  Hog hunting requires the very best, and the toughest.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©