Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: elephants with a bow?  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: elephants with a bow?
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »
Hawken,

If you go to the regular Bowsite forums, you can get all the Tink you want.  He has a very interesting writing style  :D  .  From what I can tell, he is the "original" Chuck Adams.

Offline Brass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2005, 01:57:00 AM »

Offline Brass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2005, 02:03:00 AM »
Something I wanted to say should not go left undsaid.  There may be a unique opportunity toward the common good if one is doing a service to feed the hungry.  That deserves honorable mention.  It is a dignified reason for a hunt.  But mostly, I see lots of trophy hunting as nothing more than big buisness.

Offline Longbow1415

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »
Here's one of the Howard Hill Elephant Heads that came from Howard Hill Archery. The second photo is one of Howard's actual Elephant Arrows!

68" 65@28 John Schulz American Longbow - "Tidy"
68" 60@28 John Schulz American Longbow Trophy Hunter
68" 59@28 John Schulz American Longbow - "The Favourite"
66" [email protected] John Schulz American Longbow - "The Short String"

Offline Extremist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »
Nice!  Sign me up for one (the arrow).  Where did you get the pictures?  Thanks man.
-Extremist
Victory in life is to die for what you were born to do.
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" - an Instructor
"I hope you live forever" - 300

Offline Longbow1415

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »
Spent 4 days with Craig at Howard Hill Archery in Hamilton, Montana last September. I purchased the Elephant Head broadhead, and Craig was kind enough to show me a load of Howard's personal items! I even got to hold one of Howard's bows!
68" 65@28 John Schulz American Longbow - "Tidy"
68" 60@28 John Schulz American Longbow Trophy Hunter
68" 59@28 John Schulz American Longbow - "The Favourite"
66" [email protected] John Schulz American Longbow - "The Short String"

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2005, 05:54:00 PM »
Verlyn P. Owens killed a bull elephant with a 100# recurve and 1000 grain arrows in 1967.

Frank J. Liska shot an elephant in the late 1950's, but left Africa before finding it.  It's likely the elephant died, was recovered for its ivory, but not returned to Liska.

I suspect there may be another or so taken with traditional bows.

One reason for Negley's claim, that Hill and Swinehart had their "filmed" elephants shot in the knee prior to bow shooting them, was to be able to film them, as elephants are notorious for leaving the scene of the crime after being hit.  This is a notion I've found repeated several times in material devoted to bow hunting elephants.

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2005, 07:20:00 PM »
I had a chance to read Negley's book this winter. It was a borrowed copy, signed and numbered by Mr. Negley.

Simply fascintating to read and I stand in awe of anyone who enters the African bush with intentions of poking huge, thick critters with a stick.

The guy has gotta be wearing a XXXXL jock strap!

My best,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2005, 03:04:00 PM »
Howard Hill did it with one arrow. check out the video tembo great work on that old footage

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »
Someone, tell me if I am wrong, but I have heard Howard Hill shot an elephant that was actually chained with a ring around its foot. Iwas told youcan see it in the video if ya look real close. Shawn
Shawn

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »
I didn't know that or see it

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »
G'day guys, I asked the question about Howard Hill's elephant a while back and thanks for the replies. I have a signed copy of " Howard Hill The Man and the Legend" by Craig Ekin,it's more then 20 years old. I've read the start of that book where Mr Hill stalks and kills a rogue Elephant with a single arrow to my son [ hopefully he will get to read it to his son one day too] and a bunch of other kids countless times.It's an inspiring story that never fails to have the kids full attention.When they look me in the eye and ask did Mr Hill really kill that Elephant with one arrow and no big gun,I'd just like to know that I was telling them the facts. I haven't had the pleasure of reading " Sagitarius" but I'll endevour to get a hold of a copy soon. I have a copy of Mr Negley's video where to shoots the Elephant with a single arrow, excellent stuff. Down here in Australia info like this is hard to get a hold of, you guys at "Trad Gang" fill a huge void. Thanks and good hunting.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »
hey, guys. i read an article once about guys who wanted small shaft diam. to cut down on friction but still wanted a heavy arrow. they ended up cutting a piece of steel cable the exact length of the CARBON arrows they were using and slid it inside of the shaft before they added the nocks and inserts. they claimed 1000 grns and a complete passthrough. ( dont know how much of this was fabricated)
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©