Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Asiatic vs. Cape?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Asiatic vs. Cape?
« on: December 19, 2003, 10:01:00 PM »
Talked with a PH in Africa the other day,and we were discussing Cape Buffalo vs. Asiatic Water Buffalo.  Anyone here able to give a comparison?  I know the water buffs are a little bigger on average, and seem to have a very similar bone stucture.  How about temper?  endurance?  toughness?  Just wanting to compare notes.

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asiatic vs. Cape?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 12:30:00 PM »
Hey Chad, you just knew I would reply didn't you?
I have studied them both quite a lot, they are closely related being true buffalo. The Australian water buff are more correctly called swamp buffalo, there is another variety called the riverine buffalo which is a bit smaller and has horns that curve more like a cape buffs. The aussie buff are on average 350#'s heavier than cape buff, but aside from being more stocky they are nearly identical to capes, from behind the head back. While I was in Africa we compared photos of both animals and with the heads covered it was hard to tell them apart. The photos in the "Perfect Shot" book of anatomy could be used for either animal. By all accounts the senses of both animals are the same and that is excellent. It used to be, when there wasn't much info available that the water buffalo was looked upon as an easy warmup for a cape buff hunt, now that there is more experience, most folks are saying it should be the other way around. One advantage of the water buff is that they are mostly active in the day time, the problem with cape buff is that in a lot of areas, they are almost entirely nocturnal. Rick

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 03:02:00 PM »
Kinda thought you would have some info. Rick--lol.  The PH felt the Cape were much tougher (of course), but going by the information he gave me on what it would take to bring one down, compared to what you have told me about the Asiatic, I don't think so.  Of course I have to rely on what I'm told for now.......

One more thing, while I'm thinking of it.  Have you ever tried lubricating your shafts? (man, that just don't sound right at all!  :smileystooges:  )  Some of the buffalo hunters in Oz I've conversed with use Vaseline, and say it really helps with penetration.

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 06:29:00 PM »
Yeah that did sound a little personal.
ALL of the guys who have only had experience with the cape buffalo will tell you they are tougher, meaner, faster smarter blah, blah, blah. Sir Samual Baker hunted both of them extensively in Africa and India. He rated them dead even. Everyone else I know who has had experience with both also rates them dead even.
I thought about um, er "lubricating my shafts", but you can't use anything greasy, I suspect if guys are recommending it, they don't know waht they are talking about. The dust in Australia is unbelievable during the dry season, it gets into and onto everything. Vaseline would end up with enough topsoil on it to plant a garden. I have used paste wax, but it makes the shafts as shiney as a new car. I suspect with most animals the arrow gets a layer of grease on it as soon as it gets through the skin. Rick

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »
Over on AR forums there is a post going about cape vs waterbuff. An aussie and american who have hunted both have responded and compared them in all ares. Rick is right they do rate them even in all areas. but in unprovoked meaness. The general thought is capes are harrassed by lions and such most of their lives giving them a shorter fuse.
  http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=510036&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1  
 I would think both are huge animals and if not killed right you could get stomped. The cape was my first because of the mystic of Africa. I hope to get to waterbuff soon then I will know for sure.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 06:48:00 PM »
I think a lot depends on your personal experience. The guys that have hunted an animal with no problems, think that they are creampuffs and the ones that came close to being killed have a different view. I met a doctor who had killed 35 cape buffalo and only the last one had charged, he thought they were death on four legs, he had never even seen a water buff, but was convinced they were similar to milk cows. I didn't make him a friend when I said it sounds like less than 3% of cape buffalo are dangerous. I have noticed that in Australia the more experience one has with buffalo the more caution and respect one has for them. Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©