Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ? for duplex shaft shooters  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Jason Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
? for duplex shaft shooters
« on: January 29, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »
Ok, I'm making up some duplex shafts.  I've got a 2020 Easton Legacy and have the new 340 Axis carbon shaft inside.  

I want to make sure I've been doing this right.  I've been cutting the inner (carbon) shaft the same length as the 2020 minus the insert and glueing it in.  

I can't think of any other way to do it but I thought I'd check with everyone else.

Jason

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for duplex shaft shooters
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »
I put a 380 beman inside of a 5575 goldtip and just cut them perfect so that the push in nock held the arrow tight and never glued them. They didn't rattle but I don't how tight your set up fits.I am curious how they spine out.Let me know what you end up with.Good luck ,Randy

Offline CAHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »
I put Cabellas SST shafts inside Vapor Carbon.  I fwd weight the inner shaft with #9 Shot and then used thinned epoxy (laminating epoxy) to keep the shot together, to get the weight up.  

Then I cut to length so that the inside shaft fits so it doesn't rattle back and forth.  I then remove the shaft and tape the ends, and middle with masking tape adjusting it so it goes in with just a little resistance.  That keeps it from rattling.

They shoot great and are within 3 grains each other.

Hope this helps

Offline Jason Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 10:44:00 AM »
Well the project arrow turned out great!

I tapered the leading edge of the Axis carbon arrow so that the shouldered insert would fit in, nice and tight.  

I used epoxy to glue the two shafts together.  I havent spined them since I made them up.  Beginning readings were over 130lbs.  The arrows are maxing out 1,000 grain scales.

Only problem is I need a bigger bow.  They are bare shafteing way stiff, unless I anchor past my ear.

Jason

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 07:03:00 PM »
You will probably need alot of point weight.I needed a 295 gr. point to bare shaft correctly.For hunting I used a 160gr. grizzly,125gr. converta insert and two 5gr. brass washers.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »
I realize this is the dangerous game forum, but I was wondering what you guys are hunting or preparing to hunt. Just interested. I liked the water buff. article in the new TBM. I also wondered through reading about the duplex shafts, at what point a fiberglass type arrow would be applicable?
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »
I was water buffalo hunting last august.Now I want to start planning a cape buffalo hunt.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 02:47:00 PM »
I use a 35-55 GT inside of a 2219. I wrap the GT with a spiral of cotton sewing thread, it isn't necessary, but it keeps the arrow from "buzzing" in flight. You do need to add a lot of weight to the front to balance out a heavy arrow, my point and adaptor combo comes out to 300 grains, total arrow weight is 970 grains. Rick

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 03:52:00 PM »
Jason , Just was wondering what your bow set up is for arrows like that ...# draw type of bow?? thanks,   :thumbsup:   mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 06:36:00 PM »
Rick, Do you think putting the 5575 Gt in the 2219 is a stronger arrow than the 380 beman inside of the 5575 Gt that I used? Thanks, Randy

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2004, 11:32:00 PM »
Rick,

Not trying to turn this into a different thread but, did you ever finish out those Ipe shafts I sent you???

Just wondered what kind of final weight you managed to get....

The barrel tapered Hickory arrows I'm using with my 60# bow average 910gr with 160 heads.

I'd think taking some of these low spine, heavy weight 5/16" hickorys and putting them inside the 2219 would give you more weight without upping the spine so much.

I often get 5/16" shafts that want make 30# spine but tip the scales over 500grs.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »
Troy, oops I thought I told you, they are beautiful! Shoot great with my 79# BW. They finished out at about 910 grains with a 160 head.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 11:26:00 AM »
Rick,

Hot Dang!!!!  That sounds just about right!  :thumbsup:
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »
Randy, sorry I missed your post somehow. I really have no way to tell. I just about went nuts 6-7 years ago trying to come up with an arrow that would work for buffalo and nearly canceled my trip before I came up with those shafts. They are a big pain and expensive to make, but I have never had and arrow fly better. The other drawback is that I wish they were smaller in diameter like yours are or the ipe shafts. Smaller diameter= better penetration everything else being equal. I have played around with combos like yours, but the small diameter carbons are getting hard to find and I didn't want to spend a lot of time on something that I may not be able to get. Rick

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »
The small diameter shafts are hard to find.I could only find them at FS Discount Arrows in california.Heavy shafts seem to be getting more popular. I hope someone comes out with a shaft that I can get 900 to a 1000grs. and that is the same dia as a GT.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2004, 05:30:00 PM »
Rick, we have a great supplier of small dia. carbon shafts in solid and tube.  I can get anything from .180 all the way up to .315.  Those are really stiff, I have some .265 that are spining close to the standard .254, or the old AFC 2540.  Spines for each dia: .240-300 deflection and 10.6gpi,  .254-265 deflection and 11.9gpi,  .265-215 deflection and 11.8gpi,  .315-135 deflection and 13.0gpi.  The solid .240 shafts I sent you spine at 260 deflection and 17.1gpi.  Spines were measured on 26in. centers.  Overall shaft weight takes alot of the spine out of the arrow when you actually shoot it.  Let me know if you are interested in something specific.    Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
Randy, that where I got them too. Mark, one of these days when I get a bit of time, I'll put some thought in it. The solid ones inside of a 35-55 GT worked fine out of my bow, they were just a bit heavier than I like and its impossible to get them to balance right. A small diameter with a thick wall or a combination of two shafts that fit together well and are going to be available for the forseeable future is the thing. Rick

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »
Rick, when I get some time I will play with some different shafts and find something that will go inside another and keep the OD down and give enough spine.  I will let you know.  I assume you are looking for something in the 800gr. range.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »
For heavy arrows try gold tips with soldering wire inside. This is Monty Browning's idea from his cape buffallo hunt.You 're going to have to play around with the shaft size but soldering wire is cheap and it comes in diffrent gauges that will fit perfectly inside the gold tip. I believe he said it comes out to about a 1200 grain arrow that he shot out of a 90lb. longbow. It is simple and cheap except for the shaft cost.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©