Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: bargain airfare to Australia  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
bargain airfare to Australia
« on: March 29, 2004, 10:50:00 AM »
Hey guys, I doubt that anyone is ready to hunt water buffalo on the spur of the moment, but I just got a "web only" airfare deal to OZ of $798! Its only for May of this year and I am sure it will sell out quick and has some restrictions, you can probably find it on the Quantas website. Rick

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bargain airfare to Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »
Dang Rick wish I could go on short notice  :(  

Enjoyed visiting with ya in SA wish we hadn't all been so busy I'd liked to listen to a few Ausie stories!!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 07:49:00 PM »
Yeah Doug, even though I didn't work this time, I still didn't have time to talk to everyone enough. On the bright side, I'll soon be working on more stories! They will have more bargain airfares from time to time I'm sure, but they never work for me! Rick

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 07:58:00 PM »
Story of my life too   :(
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline johnny show

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 09:18:00 PM »
Whats the usual cost for airfare?  john

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »
Rick, you suck!  You went and told me all those buffalo stories and got me all excited, now I gotta wait a whole year to go myself.  This is too much like waiting for Christmas when you're a kid.

Remember, you promised to find a blind, half deaf one that cant run too fast for next year!!

Good luck on you 110 incher, even if it is a dry cow!
Ryan

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 07:38:00 PM »
Ryan, would you like me to tie one to a tree? I will use a fairly long rope to keep it sporting!
If I find a 110 incher, I will have some mixed emotions, I should save it for a paying hunter! I should have a whole new batch of stories by next year.
Airfares vary a lot, especially by season, they normally drop this time of year, since they are going into their winter. I never get the bargain rates, since they all require you to stay less than 30 days. Right now Quantas has the special deal for the month of May for $798 round trip from LA to Sidney, it is a "web only" deal and as good as I have ever seen. Rick

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 02:25:00 PM »
Any word on how it is going this year for Buffalo hunters in Australia??????????????????
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
Yeah, what Cory said!  I've been off work for over 4 months with a bum ankle, but still plan to do my hunt.  Not real sure how I'll come up with the cash just yet, but when there is a will there is a way!

If you find two of them crippled up buff, save the other one for me.  I'm not a speed demon anyhow, even without a sore hoof.

Chad

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »
Heading out in August. Thats a good fare -- international travel is more expensive this year than it's been in ages. Good year to use frequent flier miles. Will give reports on both Namibia and Oz after (and if) I return. Cheers, Don

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 12:15:00 AM »
You just have to out-run Brad!
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline smalson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 11:46:00 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'd love to hear more about buffs down under!  

Steve
2 Corinthians 3:18  ...being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory...that comes from Him.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »
smalson, thanks for bringing it back up, I haven't looked at it since I got back from OZ! WE actually got TWO buffalo that green scored over 110" this year and several more close to that, they all would easily be in the top five with a bow, except all were taken by gun hunters, I also saw a couple more in that same class that no one took. Since the score of a buff is the diameter and the length of each horn added up and the bases usually total about 35" That would make the horns on a 110" about six and half feet from tip to tip around the curve!
Several of these big buff were in perfect opportunities for bow hunters too, just didn't have a bowhunter along when we needed one.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2004, 12:22:00 AM »
Threads like this are killing me.......still off work (almost 11 months now), and still planning to go.  My bow should be here soon.  Told the bowyer to hold off a while due to the finances, but I need to get to shooting it.  Maybe I can get a boat and paddle over?

Chad

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 08:34:00 AM »
Just bought my tickets on Cheapticket.com.  From Cinncinnatti to Darwin via LA, Brisbane got a base price of high $1600's.  Ended up going $1856 with all taxes and fees included (this was 2-300 less than the other web sites).  Was able to choose my seats on the site for the Cin-LA and LA-Brisbane flights to get window seats (exit rows already taken).  Not getting stuck in the middle on the center row is worth a couple hundred bucks to me!  Not really cut rate fares, but I stress out over waiting too long.  

Ryan

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »
Ryan, thats a pretty good fare, I doubt waiting would have saved you any money. A window seat on the flight into Darwin is the BEST, the flight comes in along the coast and the big D A R W I N on terminal is very cool. Make sure you have your camera handy. That flight also makes a stop in Auckland, NZ, I like it because it breaks up the flight and you avoid Sidney airport. What time do you get into Darwin and what day does your flight leave?

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »
Rick

I was planning on dropping you an email with the itinerary.  

Ryan

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »
Ryan, got it. Do you have your arrows ready yet?

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
Rick

I have 1/2 doz I've been shooting, and just had Dad fletch up 3 1/2 dozen more.  I've just got to put the shafts inside get ahold of a few more heads and get everything sharpened/glued up.  I'm planning on 3 doz of the real buff arrows and 1/2 doz practice arrows.  Dont know how in the heck I'm gonna transport that many arrows yet!

Ryan

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
Yeah, that should be enough! I take two of the MTM "compact" arrow cases, if you are carefull you can fit 18 broadhead arrows in each. I put two nylon straps around each one to make sure they don't come open in my bag. You could duct tape them, but the pinheads at TSA are going to open them and they won't put the tape back on. I also take a 3" pvc tube with my practice arrows. Make sure to take judos, we don't have a proper arrow backstop. Bring a small roll of duct tape its handy for the return, they won't rip it all back off when you leave Australia!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©