Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: arrows  (Read 1536 times)

Offline dirtyleg

• Trad Bowhunter
arrows
« on: April 16, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »
hey guys i am developing heavy arrows for african plains(zebra, kudu, gemsbock, and maybe eland) am looking at 3 good shooting arrow 685gn- 160 grizz, 50 gn brass insert, 100 gn steel adapter, 27 in beman ics 300 with gold tip nock adapter and 20gn weight, 3 feathers/ 655gn- alum insert, 160 grizz with 100gn steel adapter same arrow and nock wt/640gn 145 grizz with 100gn steel adapter otherwise same.   all three shoot good pattern thru paper. was only able to bare shaft tune to 240 gn head wt due to lack of field tips but had perfect tuning with that set up. all three shoot low 150s at 27 in draw..recs?

Offline dirtyleg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »
one other thing how are you guys setting up yuo arrow rest with respect to fletching clearance and nock orientation. one problem with my set up is i need to glue nocks. thanks for any input....tom

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »
Tom, you didn't say what poundage you are shooting, but if as you say all three arrows are shooting near the same speed and they all fly equally well, I'd go with the heaviest one. It's not going to be much difference in trajectory and it should be a bit quieter and penetrate better. I usually use four fletch on my arrows, but either way, I adjust the bottom hen feather to line up with the groove between the arrow plate and rest or the inside corner. Rick

Offline dirtyleg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 03:41:00 PM »
im shooting 62 lb at 27. essentially cock feather up or out then. what adhesive do you use on your steel broadhead adapters?  i appreciate the help. i'm shooting well but chicken of watching my trophy fees run off with poor penetration. would you stick with the 160 head over the 145 if only the 15 gn difference. i probably know the answer, thanks rick....t

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »
I still use Bohning Ferreltite on most of my heads, since I change stuff a lot. If I KNOW I'm ot going to change them I use 2-ton epoxy. Either way make sure to clean the inserts and inside of heads to get all the oil off. Absolutely use the 160 Grizzly, I don't know of a head with the combination of strength AND penetration. Rick

Offline Brandy Bryan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 10:38:00 PM »
I just fill the arrows with caulk. It does not change the spine just the weight

Offline The Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »
Hi Tom for any of the game you mentioned you will be safe useing the same rig as you would for moose. The heaviest arrow you can shoot well, with a two bladed broad-head and a shaft that tappers to-warts the fletching should surfice. Happy hunting "The Duchman"
Today is for ever tomorrow is just one of yesterday's dreams

Offline Donald Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »
Brandy,

I have thought of the caulk idea. How much weight does caulk add?  Does it change the shooting characteristics at all? (other than trajectory, of course).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©