Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Booked for Water Buff  (Read 9333 times)

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Booked for Water Buff
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »
Bill,

Nice Bull!!!!!!!!

What was your setup for this hunt???
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »
Are there any kangaroos in this area?  For some reason I'd just love to shoot a "roo".

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »
Troy, basicly the bow was 69lb @28" which I know most people think is a bit light for our Buff. I know a lot of bowhunters think this is a bit on the light side for Buff but I have mates that have killed Buff cleanly with single arrows from 60lb recurves. BUT that said, If you can shoot heavier bow weight consistantly well, I'd be shooting around 80lb. The arrow was a Easton 2020 with a 3mm "Tig welding wire" up the middle and spaced with tape. A Grizzly 160gr dyr shaving sharp with No burr on the nose total weight 825gr.I kept notes and photos of the break down after the kill and put them here on Dr Ed's notes on our Buff last year if you want to have a look.Where I hunt on Melville Is. the buff may differ a bit from the mainland buff in bone construction. I been bowhunting our buff since 1981 and have always had a few basic rules with them. Get in close, shoot a heavy RAZOR sharp arrow lubricated well, broadside or VERY slightly quartering away shoots ONLY, put the arrow in the money. OH yeh one other thing have a big tree close by if possible.
Darryl,I can see some in my front yard now. Oz is full of Roos mate once you get in the bush a bit. Most property owners are only to happy to let you cull a few BUT you need to have tags.

Offline Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 09:17:00 PM »
Basalt, Sounds like a great hunt, and what a rush! You are getting me pumped up. Your Melville Island hunt sounds like an adventure. Talked to Don about it. Timing was bad for me this year, but hope we can hook-up down the trail. Thanks for sharing. Any other tips for a new buff hunter?

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »
Darryl,yup you will see some roos, we should have some tags.

Offline Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005, 10:54:00 PM »
Are you home now Rick?

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »
Basalt,

I've felt for a long time that with the right type bow and a good heavy arrow a buff could be taken with alittle less poundage. I feel confident enough to say that one of my bows built in the mid 70's will do the job very well. If not I'm dang sure confident that one of O.L. Adcocks ACS or CX bows in the mid 70's will do the job.

If you get a chance talk to Dr. Ed about his findings after shooting one of O.L.'s bows before returning to OZ. If I understand it right he tested something like a 53# bow at his draw that almost produced the same speeds he is getting out of his 82# bow. Not sure on the exact arrow weight but if memory serves right it was something over 800gr.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Offline Aussie Stickbow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2005, 07:01:00 AM »
For those of you who want to shoot kangaroos. It is illegal to shoot them in Australia with a bow and arrow.

Doesn't matter if you have tags or not!

By law they must be 'head shot' and then only with a centre fire rifle!!!

Jeff

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
Jeff,

I had an incling that this might be the case, anywhere I have been in Queensland and New South Wales it is taboo even to mention hunting "Roos", suggested it once in a pub in Goondawindi and nearly started a riot  :scared:  cost me a round of drinks to settle the place down again  "[laffsmyl]"

Offline Extremist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2005, 08:19:00 AM »
Troy, could you tell us a little more about the O.L. bows.  I would love to find a bow like that around 90lbs.  What makes one trad bow shoot faster or stronger then the next?  Thanks.
-Extremist
Victory in life is to die for what you were born to do.
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" - an Instructor
"I hope you live forever" - 300

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
Extremist,

It all has to do with the limb design. The limbs on O.L.'s bow are concave/convex from about mid limb to the tips. It stiffens the limb tips and allowing for less weight on the tips. End results, faster recovery of the limbs thus more speed. Doubt you will be able to get one that heavy. If I remember right he has something like a 65# limit. At times he does have one that turns out above weight. That would most likely be the only way you could get one much above that.

I'm going on bad memory here but, if I remember right the 52# bow Dr. Ed shot pushed something like a 850gr arrow at 132 FPS. O.L. told me about it but, I was having one of those pain days and had taken some of my pain meds. "[dead]"  I may not have the exact story quite up to par but, I think I'm pretty close.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »
Denny, no I'm still on the road. Not sure yet when I will get back.

Offline Extremist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
Troy,

Would that put it over the Black Widow's?  I was under the impression that they were one of the fastest bows produced, and I believe they also posses the Reflex/Deflex design engineering.  The weight limit thing kinda sucks as I like to shoot some heavy equipment, hence the handle.  Would love to give one a try someday.  Thanks.
-Extremist

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
Extremist,

O.L.s ACS bows have been shot several times against BW bows. The BW has yet to beat the ACS. The CX is even faster than the ACS.

Year before last Norb Malany (hope I spelled his name right)tested one of O.L.s ACS bow and it topped everything he had ever tested in Traditional gear.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »
Black Widow bows have good speed, but aren't the fastest by any means.  Of course speed doesn't mean everything, especially if you can't controll it.

As far as I know, O.L.'s bows are among the fastest longbows, if not the fastest, all else being equal.  In my opinion, any longbow that shoots 10 grains per lb. at 180 fps or more is fast.

Troy is that shoulder healed up yet?

Chad

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2005, 06:57:00 PM »
Yep, Troy has it 'bout right.  Cher has one of O.L.'s CX bows.  I'm doing some 'playing' with it at the moment, and will have a lot to say about it pretty soon ... when I know all I want to about it.

Have checked the draw weight several times.  I'm pulling only 55# on it and Cher is pulling about 52.5# to 52.75#.

I'm not much of a 'bow freak'.  Bows just launch the arrow.  If it's silent enough, easy for me to shoot well under hunting conditions, and tosses the arrows out well enough to give me the impact force I want, I'm pretty satisfied.  That said, all I'll say at the moment about O.L.'s CX is that it has been a long, long time since I lusted for a bow ... but the CX ... it is incredable!  Having to keep repeating my test because I'm finding it hard to believe what I'm seeing!  Pretty sure that a 65#-70# CX would equal the performance of my 82# bows I usually hunt with.

Ed
uumm i just saw that the boy was telln ya he's been playing wiid MY bow....yep, i'll hav ta lock it up be4 he leaves    :mad:

Offline C. Lacey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
I'm baaaaack!
Ah, I see dis is a SERIOUS thread about buff etc...
sorry for the intruption then - I just leaned over Ed's shoulder for a read and had to stick my noseypoke in.  He DID try to stop me from getting to the keys though - hence my bad spelling above.

Ed is rather taken by this OL bow (so am I for that matter).
You should realize though that there are some disadvantages to such a bow....  :)  

1.  The tredjectory is tooooo flat!  This means ya have to learn to just POINT AND SHOOT...don't go thinking that you'll have to lift your arm to get the arrow 'way down there'...you'll just lose that arrow.  Have just set up a few arrows suitable for target, spined 'just right' at my draw for that dang bow.  Well, after having a long history of 'never quite making it' to the 50 metre targets....now I'm shooting over them!!!!
Still have one arrow hiding in the scrub behind the far target on our local range!
Since I only started with 6 arrows (got some lil 2112's to play with till I've set up some LIGHT woodies) this can be somewhat of a pain.

2.  The other 'problem' I've encountered...is that my grouping has improved!!!  Tut tut!  Killed one of my arrows the other day 'cause that dang bow made me group too close!

So you see boys, you really should be careful what you wish for - not that I'm complaining....but we girls are a different matter...
One can never have too many shoes....or bows   :cool:   especially pretty ones like those that O.L. makes!   "[laffsmyl]"  

Cher
p.s. for the 'serious' stuff....well, I'm going to go 'help' Ed (hehehe) with the buff this year - can't let him just take the bow and not me!! - so guess we'll have some of that yabber to tell ya'all later on.
"Don't tell God how big the storm is...
Tell the storm how big God is."

Offline Extremist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2005, 03:17:00 AM »
You have a website for 'em or a phone number?  Do they just make long bows or are you talking about recurves as well.  You mention that Black widow's bows are not as fast but is that just with the longbow configuration or with their Bamboo limbed recurve?  Reason I'm asking is that I spoke with them a little while ago about their longbow and I was instructed that it didn't hold up compared to the PMA series of recurves that they called "one of the fastest bows built".  They also mentioned the benefit of adding Bamboo to the limbs in the PMA-V "Ironwood" bows.  On a different note, Howard Hill Longbow "Tembo" has five layers of Bamboo and is supposed to shoot right along with any recurve bow.  I love the advice you all give so this is much appreciated, especially coming from those that use them everyday.  Thanks.
-Extremist

Offline donb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »
I have a question gentlemen. Does anyone know what the comparison would be with traditional vs modern compound in terms of K.E. with heavy arrows? The reason I'm asking is because I'm curious as to how much wt a modern compound would have to be to equal the heavy pull trad bow in energy. I find performance info facinating, partially because Saxton Pope and Art Young used heavy self bows for dangerous game, with good results even though they probably did not have much K.E. Of course, modern trad. bows are much more efficient, so their results could be duplicated with many lbs less draw wt. I am very priviledged to own an Adcock CX longbow,(hi O.L) and it certainly represents the pinnacle of performance in a Trad. bow. I also own a modern compound bow that produces large K.E. numbers. Does anyone  have any hard numbers to compare the two? Let me add the question "Am I they only one that gets annoyed when bow weight is the main thing that is discussed when discussing large animals? Isn't momentum and K.E. the bottom line? What I want to know is how much momentum or K.E. is considered bottom line or top line, and how those numbers can be acheived with various equipment. Thank you in advance, you guys are the greatest!
"Lead on!"

Offline Extremist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2005, 08:26:00 PM »
I guess this would be a good time to add that I currently have a bow that generates over 130lbs KE, and am working on one that should top 140 if all goes well.  The first one is a custom built Sampson compound with special 50% let-off cams that are the fastest made to date, pulling around 110lbs.  The new one is an Oneida 120lbs+ with special mods that could take a while to explain.  Those are for the heavy work.
-Extremist

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©