Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Booked for Water Buff  (Read 9328 times)

Offline Thunderbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Booked for Water Buff
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2005, 06:40:00 AM »

Offline leftbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »
Read an article this past year in some publication where the hunter or guide shot a buff in the forehead with a .416 and the rounds flattened on impact and the buff kept coming. Bet he had more than stripes in his drawers. As I recall, the article discussed using harder lead or bullet alloys on dangerous game. Made me think of maybe setting up claymores around the shooter.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2005, 01:19:00 PM »
Its hard to convince some guys that you can't kill a buffalo by shooting it in the head. We have had the shot at point blank range, with .375's and .416's in the head and none of them had any effect. Last year a compound shooter decide to aim for the "notch" on a head on buff. The whole thing was video'ed and you can see the buff dip his head and take the arrow on the top of his skull, with no apparent damage. Don't forget that bull buffalo, fight just like bighorn sheep, except with about two more tons of impact!

Offline Extremist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2005, 06:23:00 AM »
That's rich; wish I could have seen that.  Just out of morbid curiosity, what is the "Notch" you speak of?  I'm guessing with the rifle round that flattened on impact that he wasn't using the right bullet.  I would not recommend shooting 'em in the head, like Rick said, but you should not use soft bullets on any Bovine species.  I did know one guy that had me build a custom rifle for him that might have allowed head shots.  It was a bolt action, 19lb 28" barreled .50 BMG with hand loaded ammunition.  I could have gave him some AP rounds I had around the shop, that might have done the trick...
-Extremist
Victory in life is to die for what you were born to do.
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" - an Instructor
"I hope you live forever" - 300

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2005, 09:41:00 AM »
The "notch" is the one at the base of the neck, right where the collar bones join. I think that it is a low percntage shot on anything and almost a zero percent on a buff.

Offline knapper53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
You guys are sowing the seeds of a sleepless night!!  New respect for anyone who takes on the buff without rifle or MG backup....
---> shoot straight!!

Offline Mooseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
Well now I am worried !  I should have known better then to read this thread.

I wish all of you an unforgettable hunt with fantastic adventures to tell us about. Just reading about your prep work gets one excited.

Stay save and don't forget that putting your head in the sand will not make that buff go away. It didn't work on bears either.

Darryl - They have a remote control for them cameras nowadays.

Michael
Smile when hunting !

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »
from my limited reading on shooting charging Cape Buff with a rifle don't you shoot for upper lip or nose . they lift their head up to charge and this shot will allow a bullet to get to the brain with out so much bone to travel through . now if you can just hit a thing the size of your palm when you only have a couple of seconds and your spintker muscle is either real tight or real loose .----- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »
I've NEVER seen a bullet penetrate the brain cavity of a water buffalo and I have seen quite a few bullets from .375's and .416's fail. The nose thing sounds logical, but don't forget buffalo fight with each other like bighorn sheep and the skulls are thick and tough.

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2005, 01:27:00 AM »
G'day guys, I've been away again for awhile. Sounds like we're all getting ready for a big year on the Asian Buff.Rick I'd be keen to compare notes on equipment used and the results of each, at the end of the season if that suited you. I met with Dr.Ed Ashby at the Brisbane Airport for a coffee. Great man with a wealth of knowledge. We're going to compare notes as well so maybe between us all there will be a good cross section of bow/arrow combos and hunt situations.
Some of my guys are starting to have Buff nightmares but I keep telling them that we have lots of trees. Out of interest what ammo were you guys running through the .416 & .375 was it a H&H Rick? My first guys come in at the end of June. The father's shooting a compound and the son's shooting a 80lb "Checkmate" longbow. He's been keeping an eye on here for good arrow info which there is plenty of. I think he's going to shoot the heavy "Grizzlystiks" tipped with Grizzly broadheads. Ed from "Grizzlystik" is booked in August and will no doubt give 'em a workout then. They have not had a lot of rain so far up in the Territory from all reports so I would think we might be in for a good year hunting wise. [but it's still early I guess.] Anyway Rick he's to a good hunting season and lets hope all the Buff play fair!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2005, 01:46:00 AM »
Bill, I for sure want to hear how the the Chek-Mate performs.  I have an 85@30 Crusader on order for the hunt I am working on--I feel like it will be more than enough, but I'd still like to hear about the results.

Chad

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »
Bill, that will be great. The .375 is an H&H, perhaps a bit light for backup on buff, but in our experience the higher velocity versions don't do any better, much the same as bows! Its been impossible to convince the wheelie bow guys that a fast, light arrow is not going to impress a buff as much as a slow heavy one. The same with bullets, main advantage of the .416 over the .375 is the 400 grain over a 300.

Offline Extremist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2005, 05:12:00 AM »
Rick, just a thought.  I have been working on this special project rifle for a guy, but he backed out because he was "Too busy" and had to move.  Anyways, it's a lever action Browning BLR I'm customizing to shoot the .458 Winchester Mag.  Nothing like it exists so far, and will provide more then enough stopping power as a back-up rifle.  Not to mention the benifits of a lever action over a bolt gun, and magazine fed to boot.  I designed it around the Hornady 500 grain FMJ RN-ENC round, as it is the most powerful factory round ever made, within pressure limits, and the bullet is right on the money with the dangerous game needs (you might want to check it out:   Hornady Rifle ammo   and select .458 WIN in the box.  Above the "Buy" link is a balistic info link.  I can get it for about $45 though, so just ask me if you would like some)  I'm also working on some very special handloads that use a Tungsten bullet in a Sabot, 500 grains but is only as long as a 350-400 grain bullet.  I can get more powder behind it and it will penetrate most anything I can imagine, even 1/4" steel plate like you drilled the hole out.  Nevertheless, if you would like to check out this little beast of mine, let me know and I'll forward you some information.

P.S. it will shoot any .458 Win Mag round, I just used the Hornady round to provide the needed adjustment data.
-Extremist
Victory in life is to die for what you were born to do.
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" - an Instructor
"I hope you live forever" - 300

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »
Wow!  Good reading, congrats Denny, can't wait to see the video!  Be careful fellas, I'd hate to here you all needed to be picked out from between the toes of some Dugga (sp?) Bull over there!

I've got a one-piece, 62", 78# @ 29" ACS.  I'm shooting 31" Goldtip Big Game 100+ shafts weighted to 800 grains.  175 grain tip, and 280 grains of Goldtip weights behind the point.  It is a tack driver!  I haven't ran it though a chrono, but at a little over 10 grains per pound I would say it is in the mid 190's.  It is faster than my "eye" is used to seeing with most of my bows.  Mid 170's is where my eye is really calibrated to, I.E., I shoot high at longer distances until I adjust to the speed.  

They are awesome bows, and I'm on the list for a 3-piece ACS-CX.  Hoping to get two sets of limbs for it, one 65# @ 29", and the other 80# @ 29".  But I know for a fact that O.L. doesn't like to make the heavier draw weights.  Hurt his shoulder making the one I've got now.

I'm planning on going after Brown Bear in AK after I graduate from Vet School in '08.  That is why I bought and shoot the bow I have now, and am looking to get the extra set of CX limbs.  But, a Buff hunt would be a thrill too!  I'm jealous and happy for your opportunity to have this adventure.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2005, 01:15:00 AM »
G'day guys,back from the bush again.
Chad, no worries mate I'll let you know how the Checkmate goes.
Rick,that sounds the same as what Dr.Ed and all the other experienced Cape/Water Buff guys say. WE've got both .375 H&H and .458 in camp. The wheelie bow boys are hard to convince that it's not just speed that kills, in our camp as well.Anyway Rick, good hunting and Denny, bust a big fella mate.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2005, 10:23:00 AM »
Bill

I checked out your website--nice buff pics!!  Good reference pics of water buffalo are hard to come by.  How are things looking for the fall hunt?  You mentioned earlier it was pretty dry.  Last I heard I will be the first one in camp with Rick, so maybe they'll still be fat, dumb, and dopey from the big feed!  Only 50 days 'till I'll be in the bush-cant wait.

Ryan

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »
They will be fat. Dumb and dopey, not so much!

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2005, 07:56:00 AM »
I should not have said it was a bit dry up that way 'cause the next thing this bloody cyclone when straight over Melville Island. No damage to people, camp or Buffalo. Should have some easier trees to climb because some of them will now be on an angle!
Ryan have a great hunt mate!! I must tell you though I haven't seen too many Dumb and Dopey Buffalo in my travels, hey Rick.

Offline hunt4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »
is denny back yet? its been almost a month if he was booked for early to mid june. did something happen?

Offline hunt4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »
ttt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©