3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Indian Archery Longbow  (Read 439 times)

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
Indian Archery Longbow
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me anything about an Indian Archery strait limb longbow I have?  I was interested in finding out when it was built and what it is worth.  It is 66" and marked 40#.  It has a laminated riser with a leather wrap, and the limbs are made from a pale yellow wood.  There is some slight string follow with the limbs unstrung.  It has some marks from use, but is in overall good condition.

Any information you could provide would be helpful.
Thanks.
Bones

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Indian Archery Longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
Hi Bones,

I have one I bought at an antique shop for $15
Did some research and found out it was made around mid 1920's.  I is 66" 30#'s.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Bill, type in "escalade incorporated" on the computer.  They own Indian as well as many other sporting good manufacturers.  I believe they bought Bear Archery.  They were founded in 1927. I also have a couple of Indian Bows.  I called and spoke with a  representative but he couldn't tell me anything about the bows.  There claim right now is that they are the worlds largest manufacturer of pool tables and table tennis tables  in the world.
Jon Stewart

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
Juan and Jon,
Thanks for the reply.  I will check on Escalade Inc.
Thanks.
PA Bones

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
The bow is most likely made from lemonwood that was imported from Cuba. The company made a lot of these bows in 1930-1950 and they were common in schools for gym class and at summer camps. Many of them were in the 25# range. Most had some string follow from being left strung.

They sell on the auction site for $15-50 depending on draw wt and condition.

First bow many of us geezers ever shot.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
I still have mine from 1959. It is lemonwood with a laminated riser and leather grip. It also has a plastic arrow rest that slips into the leather that can be used for right or left hand shooters. I bought mine with my saved up allowance money. It was a part of a set that had the bow , 6 arrows, armguard, and tab. I think it cost abiut $12.00. The bows could be had for about $6 or $7 dollars.
My bow always had some string follow that I think may have come with the bow, to many years ago. I would not string it. That wood could be very dry and brittle.

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I actually shot the bow and it shot very well, but I will take your advice and not shoot it anymore.  It makes a nice collectors item for the bow rack.  Appreciate the information.
PA Bones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©