Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What can this Take  (Read 1995 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
What can this Take
« on: March 12, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »
I just want to know what Dangerous Game My setup would be able to take.

I have a 54" shrew long bow
51# @ my draw 26"
26.5" XX75 2018's 383gr's
145 gr 2-blade Razorheads
total weight 528gr
speed around 160 - 165 fps

I'm hitting 8 out of 12 in a 2" target 15 -20 yards away

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What can this Take
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »
I'd wait for an expert.I'm not one either. I do know that big, dangerous game takes alot more penetration than a whitetail. Might want heavier arrows. Should be enough for rabid squirrels though, they're dangerous!
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »
so far the only one is a Black Bear not know if everyone would say thats a Dangerous game or not. Don't have the money to go to Africa or go for Grizzly yet. By then I should have a bigger and bader bow

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »
Ken Beck shot about 50# I think in africa...didnt he?
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 08:10:00 PM »
Black bear is plenty dangerous for me.
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »
You wouldn't catch me after any dangerous game with that setup! Work up to a heavier weight and put some weight on those arrows  :)

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »
I'd use that setup for dangerous game.....  as a monopod for my .600 Nitro double rifle!    :bigsmyl:  

I would venture to guess most everyone would tell you the same thing.  Your setup needs more "beef" before heading after dangerous critters like Buff, Big Bears, and the like.  A lot more arrow weight, and enough horsepower to get it going a sufficient speed to do the job.  Every animal has got bones that will stop most arrows, but animals like the Buff have them covering their vitals.  Their ribs are substantial and have to be broken by the arrow for it to do its job.

I'm not going to venture to guess what it takes to do this, but a good "test" would be to shoot your setup into a 1" x 4" wood board.  When you can pass through that board you are getting in the neighborhood of where you need to be.  I've got a bow that has shot an arrow through my pretty well shot up bag target and two 1" x 4" wooden boards (I.E., my doubled fence), and then skipped 35 yards out into the adjacent field.  And I wouldn't carry this setup, as is, after a buff!  78# @ 29", 800 grain carbon arrow.  I'd up the weight of the arrow to 1000 - 1100 grains and depending on what the speed was of that arrow I may go to a different heavier bow.

They are big and dangerous critters, and would be a dream come true to take with a bow.  To me it would be a nightmare to stick an arrow in the near side rib and have the PH shoot the PO'ed bull with his rifle before he stomps you or him into the ground.  But, that is me.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 05:22:00 PM »
Two of the most dangerous(seemed like it at the time) animals I have ever dealt with were a wounded groundhog and racoon. I can still picture the teeth on both of them!

Offline devildog66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »
I would use that set-up on all but the rabbit of Caerbannog!  "Well, that's no ordinary rabbit! That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!"  Sorry, it was too good to pass up on a Monty Python scene.
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »
well all jokes aside thanks I knew my set-up wasn't for the that type of game just would've liked to know what it could have taken.. Like a bear, lion, kangeroo, wambat and stuff like that

Offline Mooseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »
mysticguido - you could perhaps take a black bear with that. They could get dangerous. A lot of people get charged per year within N. America.

Everything else would possibly be a stretch?

But I am no expert.....

Best regards,
Mooseman
Smile when hunting !

Offline devildog66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
Many hunters take all North American game but grizzlies with that set-up.  The key is going to be shot placement (big news, right?).  That bow weight wouldn't seem to leave any room for error on larger boned animals, e.g., moose and elk.  So go get at it and keep the broadheads sharp!

DD66
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »
Mystic, you can take lots of game with that set-up, but you did ask what "dangerous game" and then it not becomes, "can I", but "should I"? The traditional "dangerous game" is the big 5 or 6 of Africa and I doubt your setup would be legal, ethical or practical for any of them, except the leopard. They really aren't big animals, but if it was me, I would still want as much overkill as I could get as a wounded leopard is very likely to be very dangerous game. To me that would mean using a heavier bow, heavier arrows and a big head like a snuffer to cut as much as possible. With your set-up you could certainly take black bear and although not as dangerous as many thing they do manage to kill and eat people from time to time. Its also big enough for mountain lion and they are in the same class as the black bear.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »
Thanks .. I think I should have posted it beeten then I did, I guess and was looking to see how or if it would take  that kinda game..

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
I would not hesitate to go after black bear with that setup... if the shot is good  :)  I might add a bit more weight to the arrows though.

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline willie1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 06:49:00 AM »
I personally know two people who have taken elk with your kind of set up, one was with a 45# longbow, the other was with a 50# recurve. Both shots were close, 10-15 yards. Shot placement was the key to their good fortune!

DW
When people ask me what I'm so happy about, I tell them life is what you choose to make it. You can choose to praise God and be happy or you can choose to ignore God and be miserable. I choose to be happy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©