Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hog advice  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Celtic Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog advice
« on: September 16, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »
OK, you guys are killing me. I'm brand new to bowhunting and pretty much new to hunting in general. I just ordered my first longbow and hope to be up to speed well enough to start hunting real soon.

The only thing that really has perked my interest is hogs. (maybe africa someday)I'm rareing to get after them.

I was just fishing for any sage advice or words of wisdom I could pry out of you guys.

I'm in Jacksonville, Fl and would like to hunt in this area (IE: NE Florida / SE Ga.)
Time and tide waits for no man!

Offline Islandlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog advice
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »
Celtic hunting hogs are a blast...if fact alot of people believe they are the perfect bow hunting animal especially when you hunt them on the ground. Try this site, some good info.
 http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Good luck and have fun.

Jerry
Procrastination is the thief of time.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 07:58:00 PM »
Use heavy arrows and a 2 blade broadhead.
If you are quiet you can usually hear them before they see you. Play the wind, and you might smell them before they smell you.
Not an easy animal to kill. They are smart and cagey as heck! Contrary to stories they don't attack--thank Heaven for that!
Bjorn

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »
Not to argue but the hogs I hunt will run you up a tree first thing in TN.  Was charged by a 300# this past march with 4" teeth, we were dressing a hog I killed when we heard popping and looked up to see this hog coming at us, we jumped and it ran between us over my downed hog.  Most they do is maybe cut you a little with a tusk, fun though, now feral hogs are like Bjorn said just plain cagy, more than deer, I took mine stalking two years ago and loved it, so much fun and good meat.  Good way to get into it, a good arrow, sharp head and put it tight behind the shoulder and you will have meat.  You are in a great place there in Florida for hog hunting.  Godd Luck

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »
Ditto on hog hunting for fun and excitement, but boy they eat good too. Keep your arrow low behind the shoulder and they will go down quick. Middle of the body on up will result in many lost hogs. Put a magnus two blade head just behind the shoulder in middle of body last year on a 125 class hog. Broad side shot. Arrow past through like it was in hot butter. Hog squealed and ran off. Just new I had double lunged that porker. When I recovered my arrow it had been wiped clean by the fat on the opposite side. No blood trail at all. Never did find that hog or any sign of him. Quartering away and low behind the shoulder is the way to go. Good luck and have fun.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 03:50:00 AM »
G'day Celtic wild hogs are the main game animal bowhunters hunt down here in Australia. I don't know a lot about bowhunting many animals but I've been bowhunting and guiding bowhunters on wild hogs for over thirty years down here and I guess our hogs are similar to yours. Anyway that anatomy info Jerry put you onto looks exactly the same as for our hogs. If I'm going to shoot a hog that's standing broadside I pick a spot 1/3 of the way up it's chest, inline with the centre of the front leg. The Scapula has a "Paddle Bone" that comes out at about 60 degrees and curls around which you don't want to hit so you don't want that arrow to go above centre with this type of shot. I agree with Bill the quartering away shot I have found to be the most effective on even the biggest boars. I like to imagine the arrow entering the back of the chest just below centre and exiting into the off-side shoulder. I agree with Bjorn I use strong two blade [which I take to be single blade] razor sharp broadheads and 600+gn arrows. But mate don't be so sure they don't attack when wounded or cornered as myself and my client have the scars to show otherwise and his took two months to heal.Our website is  www.bowhuntsafaris.com

Offline Family Tradition

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 11:43:00 PM »
Bill you tagged it!

A hog is not a buck anyway you cut it.
What would be a great shot on a deer could end in a lost hog. Keep your shots LOW and forward and you will be golden. Try for the quatering away shot on top of that.

From midline of the body up they are very muscular along with having some very heavy bone.

I would rather miss low than have a high pass through and lose an animal.

"Hit em low they dont have far to go, Hit em high and say goodby"

Just my experience and .02

Mark

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 03:43:00 AM »
Good site Jerry,
that anatomy section is spot on.

M
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Dane Clements

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 03:59:00 AM »
I live and hunt hogs in south Ga.I like a fixed blade. I like a 2 or 3 blade.A well stuck pig, sprays blood everywhere.i tried a mechanical head one time on a 250# boar last year.I shot him, kicked him, and hit him with my bow before he ran off.I went back to the fixed blade.I have killed a number of pigs.I have stalked almost all of them, that is more fun to me.The best day to stalk pigs is when it mists rain slow all day.The pigs will feed most of the day, and you can be quiet on the leaves.I agree, a low shot is definitely better than a high one.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 10:17:00 AM »
Celtic,

What weight bow you shooting?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 12:23:00 PM »
I have to disagree on the hog attacks myself. Sorry Bjorn, no disrespect. I've been workin hogs here in Texas since i was able to follow my dad and my uncle. I've been run up a tree countless times and once got 27 stiches on the side of my calf from a 200 ponder and he just barely got me. I agree with the 2 blade but the Wensel Woodsman 3 blade works great also. Like the others have said. Low, ultra low, and stay outta that shoulder. Of course were talkin most boars. Small hogs are easier to penatrate but just shoot em all the same and you should not have a problem. Whack em up in that shield and it'll look like you shot your arrow into a Hickory stump. Texasboars.com like mentioned above will help you out alot.
Bob Lee Heavy Weight. Burled Bubinga/Black Micarta 55# @ 28". 58"

Offline Celtic Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Celtic,

What weight bow you shooting?
Right now I've been shooting a 45# just to get accuracy built up and get some experience (I'm brand new to hunting). I've been having a blast chasing around squirrels, rabbits, birds and even the occasional rat.

I'm on the lookout for a decent 55# or 60# to try to nail something a bit bigger. I have some property that has some wetlands on it's edge, is across the street from a 1000 acre plot of woods owned by the water management district. 2 days ago I saw what I thought was a calf but through the glasses was a huge (to me anyway  :) ) white hog with around 3 piglets. There is an old guy who raises pigs about 1/2 mile away. I'm sure that this is one of his that escaped and has just gone feral, and has now figured out they can raid our cow and horse feed. I knew there had to be some around!   :bigsmyl:  

So the quest for Moby Pig begins!

Sorry to leave a thread hanging. I've been super super busy and have'nt even been on line.

Offline Roconman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »
Contrary to stories they don't attack--thank Heaven for that!
Bjorn                                                    I'm nursing 10 stitches in my leg right now from going into a brushpile after a hog that I made a bad hit on. I had a pistol but he was on me before I could get it out.Old sows with babies can be especially unfriendly.I'd consider them dangerous game.........Dan

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »
Roconman them old sows i'll bite ya and shake ya like a rag won't they...

It's not always the wounded ones that come see ya either. The one that put the stitches in my leg was crossing about 50 yards downwind of me minding his own buisness and when he winded me it was on like a bowl a neck bone. All I had was a fishin rod. Not the best weapon of choice when a 200 pound pineywood rooter is pissed off at ya. But it did hold the stitches down to 27 and got me up a tree. Needless to say he trashed my $100 All-Star.

Offline so tx pighunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »
Bjorn no disrespect intended but I think maybe the hogs yall have are kind of in the Cali state of mind (laidback) becaues the hogs down this way will wind up in your hip pocket if you arent careful. I know of four different people that have had major cutting action inflicted on em and I have been charged numerous times while hunting with stick and string and with dogs. They didn't get the nickname "Poor mans Grizzly" for nothin. Either way you are right they are cagey and well made for stickbow shooters.
Celtic remember low and tight on the knuckle(elbow)sharp two blades are hard to beat and I prefer a slight quartering away shot to slip in that sharp b.h. Oh so easy..
God bless and Happy New Year.
Eric

Offline Celtic Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replys and advice.

Earlier, I rode out to where I saw the pigs. It looks like it's been randomly plowed!

What I can't figure out is "why that spot?" there's 157 acres here. 40 of it looks exactly like where they were rooting/wallowing around. I can't find anything that looks like its been eaten, and this is really the only spot that looks like they've been. In any case, to make sure the spot will remain interesting to them, and try to get them interested in the side closer to some brush and cat tails.I dropped about 5 gallons of corn in small piles right around where they were at, and filled up a couple of post hole digger holes with corn.

Next weekend I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll just only take a shot if I can get them pretty close and can get a good angle on one other than the big one. As I said I only have the 45# and I don't want to wound one

Offline Celtic Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »
Also, forgot to ask. Let me be overly optimistic for a inute. I've never dressed a pig before (it's been 15 yrs since I did a deer!)

Is there anything special to know or look out for? I don't mind if an alien pops out of it's chest, I just want to know it's coming....  :thumbsup:

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 02:50:00 PM »
Celtic there is something in the ground there they like. In Germany they root up truffles from under the ground. Ain't quite sure what a truffle is. That's the PHD method. (POST HOLE DIGGER). That's one of the best ways to keep your corn around, other wise they'll vacuum it up before you make it back to hunt. Dump a couple boxes of strawberry jello in your holes with your corn, just pour it on top after you put the corn in. They have a killer nose and they really like that berry smell. It may attract a few that are passing thru that have not found your corn yet. As far as skinning. Get a sharp knife buddy. If you kill a mature old grizzled up boar it's like skinnin a glued mud flap off a stump. Go from head to tail and cut the hide in 3 inch strips or so from top to bottom. That makes it alot easier. If it's a young hog you can just skin it like a deer...BK...  "[redneck]"

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »
Some of these "Californy" hogs do drink caffeine, or maybe it's meth----took us 77 subcutaneous and 114 skin stiches to put the last bowhunter  came in from Dye Creek back together---Leroy Brown had nothing on that pig. Now the hunter was no wuss either----heard he was back hunting 2 months later  :D
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Brandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
Hey Celtic how about an update.
Do any good with your Golden M & M's.(corn)

Brandon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©