3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: eTrex and eTrex H comparisons?  (Read 675 times)

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
eTrex and eTrex H comparisons?
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
I own a Garmin eTrex--the little simple yellow one.  I like the simplicity and fast signal pick-up, but the thing is next to useless in the woods where I need it if there is any leaf cover, and it does not take much before I lose signal.  Now they have come out with the "H" models in the eTrex line with what they call a patch antenna and high sensitivity receiver.  I'm looking for anybody who may have one of the new H series units and can give me a report on its performance.  Especially if you have the earlier model to compare to.  Thanks a bunch......Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: eTrex and eTrex H comparisons?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
TTT

I'm interested as well Dave. I have the etrex summit and am considering upgrading for the same reason as well as the newer map features. Lets hope someone has a new one and can give us their evaluation.
hunt it

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
I asked about this on another forum awhile back and a guy said he had the new version and his friend had the old version like we do.  They were hunting and he turned his on and put it in his backpack pocket and went hinting.  At the end of the day, he said that it never lost signal in the pack and in the timber.  Said he could do a tracback function and it was intact.  His buddies lost signal quite a few times.  Sounds like they are better than the older ones but I would have to try one to really be a believer.

Rob

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
I have an etrex vista and am not real happy with the reception in the woods.  Hopefully the technology is getting better.

Offline Climber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »
The HC technology is leaps and bounds above the old etrex capabilities. In a thick overhead canopy you still have no problem picking up a signal. I'm selling my old Etrex Summit for cheap if anyone wants it. Got some good honey holes marked and routes up Rainier and Denali.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »
Climber,

Overhead canopy does not appear to be an issue were your heading! Did you buy another Summit? If not, can you tell us which model you chose and why. My old Summit has served me well and is still going strong. I have been looking at all the new models,the new Bushnell technology looks good but I don't need the radio crap for $15.00 a month and the weather and dopplar features don't work without the $15.00 month. Must be AA capable for me as at -50 I go through two sometimes three sets of batteries a day in my summit. They say newer models are much more battery efficient.
hunt it

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Hunt it:  I have a buddy who is an engineer and gets absolutely picky over tech stuff.  He tried the Bushnell Onix 400 side by side with the Garmin Map60CSx.  Took them outside the Bass Pro shop and turned them on--acquisition time was about the same, but then he walked back into the store with them and the Bushnell immediately lost signal at the door but the Map 60CSx kept right on tracking.  He also checked with XM radio people and they said they are nowhere near ready to support that system which Bushnell is already advertising and won't be until at least next year. He bought the Garmin.  The one he has is a bit more than I want though so that is why I asked about performance of the new H series eTrex units.  So far the feed back I have gotten is very positive......Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Jeff Mccarthy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
The new H series are incredible. The old model was practically useless to me, many times even when out in the open. The new one nevers loses signal whether in the mountains, a deep ravine, or heavy leaf cover. I'd highy recommend it.
Black Widow PCHV 55#@28" 58",  Robertson Fatal Styk 50#@28" 60", Blacktail Elite 55#@28" 60"

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Jeff, do you have a unit you would recommend.  I am trying to decide between the Venture HC, Legend HCx, and Vista HCx.  What do you have?.....Dave

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for the input on the Onyx. All good info, the satelite pic and mapping looks handy but thats the only positive side I see with the Bushnell. My Etrex Summit has been great and once you know all the features and what buttons do what it would be alot easier just to stay with  an Etrex. Like you I am not sure what model to go with.
hunt it

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Personally, I bought the Venture HC and love it. Tracks indoors, in the truck, in the deep woods, you name it.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
There is no comparison between the new and old units.  I have my Venture HC next to me right now; I am on the first floor of a two story office building.  My desk is about 40 feet from a window and I am getting a signal - weak, but it is there.  I got a deal at dicks sporting goods last week, venture hc plus the topo maps for $159 after a #30 rebate.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
I have the etrex Vista HCx.   Two words:  Buy it.  

It does everything folks are saying.    I like compact, simple  units that work in various conditions.  This one has it all.

I bought it this year and this is my fourth GPS.  So I am not an expert but have used other models, all on multiple trips where canopes, clouds, and sides of mountains can give you fits.  This one performed great.  My buddy also borrowed it for trip to ID - same response.  He went out and bought one.

Don't get me wrong - nothing is perfect.  But this one is leaps and bounds ahead of everything in its class -- meaning -- small, simple, fast acquisition, not too many bells and whistles that you won't use, light, fits in any pocket so you don't have to dig it out, not $500 so if you lose it or just want a new... etc.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
All great input guys.  You have answered any concerns I had about improved performance.  Found some great prices out there on these units while doing some more Google searches today as well.....Dave

Offline DAGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
I have owned a Garmin Etrex for many years now. I have always been able to get a signal even in deep woods. I might be off about 60 feet but I would always get a signal when I lifted it to the sky.

I just bought another Garmin Etrex Legend. It has the patch antenna so I assumed it would be better in the deep woods. NO SIGNAL at all in the woods! It is going back to the store.

I can't believe my old outdated GPS is better that the new version.
Clay

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
Dont waste money on one without electronic compass. This means you will need and HCx. Without the electronic compass you must be moving for it to track a course or hold a heading. How fast must you move? Way too fast!!
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »
I have owned an Etrex Vista for  about 6 years. I also use a mapping grade gps as part of my job (forestry, real estate and GIS consultant). For everyday use you can't beat a Garmin gps. One thing to remember is that all gps have an onboard computer and as with computers, you have to update the software occasionally. The main reason for this affecting the accuracy of your unit is that on the satellite screen you will notice that each one has a number. The computer in the gps tells the receiver where to look for each satellite. if a satellite is moved or replaced with another one, your gps cannot track it without a patch update. This will really affect the accuracy of your unit if the satellite that was moved/replaced happens to be a WAAS satellite. My garmin gps has had over 50 updates (garmin's website is where you get them). It is more accurate today than when I first bought it. That being said the new units seem to be really neat (HCx. The H is for the new antenna...The C is for color screen which believeit or not will give you better battery life... the x is for Micro SD card storage. I would also recommend the electronic compass for the reasons stated earlier. Also remember to have some spare batteries. I also always carry a mirror type compass(Sylva Ranger).

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 01:55:00 AM »
I have the Rhino 520Hcx and it locks fast almost everywhere. I did multiple side by side tests against my buddies one year old Rhino 120 on an elk hunt in Co. There were times in canyons and dark timber his wouldn't get a lock and mine would lock in 14 seconds. No contest.

As an aside,the communication between these Rhinos is amazing. I can plot my buddies location on the topo in my unit.

I had a bull down in a nasty canyon on a steep side slope. The location was cliffed in from the top. With the Rhino, I guided my buddy on mules down a long ridge and back along the contour I was on to my exact location. That danged Rhino saved me two days of packing.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 05:48:00 AM »
Getting signal isn’t what its cracked up to be! With GPS, two things have a major influence on accuracy. SNR (Signal to noise ratio) and PDOP (positional dilution of precision). That’s fancy talk for signal interference and satellite locations in the sky.
PDOP looks at the southern horizon. For the best accuracy, and survey grade positions, 13 degrees above the horizon is the target. (if the satellite gets closer to the horizon than that the gps throws it out of the equation. The hand held GPS folks dilute this setting to almost 3 degrees above the horizon.  That’s pretty close to a parallel line between you and the satellite. SNR is caused by everything between you and that satellite.
The GPS companies compensate for that with a correction process. Basically, the GPS looks at the time it takes to complete a cycle (how long the signal takes to get to it) and adjusts that time based on radio frequencies that are a little closer to home. WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation Systems) is an example of that.

During survey operations, we get accuracy of 2/10 of a foot! We just supply our own local radio correction frequency.

Sorry, got a little long winded there, but I can say that the unit doesn’t really matter. WAAS helps a bit, but in the woods, the accuracy is going to be off, no matter what unit you have. Pine trees really reek havoc on GPS!

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
OK, I have an ole etrex and it is about worthless in any kind of woods. If I got lost with it I would have to go back to the road to get a location with it. So the new etrex H that looks just like the old yellow etrex is much better at picking up a signal in the woods??
 I mostly use it to mark stands and such.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©