Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Broadheads for Black Bear?  (Read 5278 times)

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads for Black Bear?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
I've had less than stellar results with Snuffers and they are hard to sharpen (for me). I need more practice with three blades before I could get comfortable. Hearing about passthrus with multi-blade heads is comforting. I hunt hogs mostly, and you hardly ever see a passthru, even with wheelie-launched arrows.

I rummaged through my stuff and found some Magnus II 4 blade 125 grain heads. New in the pack. Forgot I had them. What do you guys think of these? I love the 2 blade version.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »
Don't try to corralate what you see the wheelie folks do with good trad gear, they make a lot of poor choices. I second, third, and fourth using 3-4 blade heads. WW's are an excellent choice (bob the tips however) as are Snuffers. Work with the Snuffers, once you figure out the sharpening tricks, they are very easy to get a shaving edge. Most bears I've shot with Snuffers, blood trail and tracking is a moot point, they go down in sight.......O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline robk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »
i would suggest either the american broadhead liberty or the sonic if you want a 3 blade or if you want a 4 blade then the magnus stingers both will work. but i don't know what your shooting yourself but i am sure if you have broadheads already they will work for you
rob k
acf
uffda
zona bow staff
magnus broadheads

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »
Hi Norbert,
I am a guide for a few different outfitters here in Manitoba, and the bear population in the areas I guide in are realy high. I just want to recomend you do your homework in looking for an outfitter, I hate to say it but there are some bad outfitters out there.And my broadhead of choice is a bear broadhead with bleeder blades.If you need any information or have any questions feel free to e-mail or call.You can visit my web site at  

Take care   Darren

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
What O.L. said.

3 blades minimum for good blood trails and maximum cutting.
Bears have thick hair but thin skin. The only thing I've found easier to penetrate is a caribou..
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »
thanks Biggie, et. al., I'm definitely on the multi blade bandwagon on this one. Now I need to choose! I'm going to get some WW/Snuffer sharpening lessons from Mr. Lamb in a couple of months. If I dont fail the final, I might pick one of them...

Offline albertan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
My son and I have used the Magnus 2 blade 125 gr on bears (I took a 18 6/16 and david a 21 9/16) -- both used Chekmate recurves(mine at 51# and david at 49 #) We recently switched to the 145 gr 4 blade Magnus on the recommendations of a couple of friends who have hunted extensively and use the argument "would you rather have a deeper slit or a slightly shallower hole" for penetration.  Bears are notorious for their ability to take a good shot and leave no blood for tracking.I shot a 20 10/16 with the set up this spring and it worked GREAT.  Heavy arrow (585 gr @ 31" and 51#)
Brent
2015 Alberta Bowhunters Assoc. President

Offline albertan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
By the way, you'll have a GREAT time hunting with Ryk.  Known him for years and is heavily involved with the bowhunting "scene".  His stories and personality are worth the trip alone!!!
Brent
2015 Alberta Bowhunters Assoc. President

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 11:22:00 AM »
Albertan,
Thanks for the info and vote of confidence in Ryk. He came recommened by a fellow TradGanger and I've really enjoyed talking to him. He gave me the name of a retired friend of his who often helps in camp who is a "trad bowhunting nut" according to Ryk. I havent called him yet but I will. Cant wait!

I've picked up some 4-blade Stingers that I will be using in March for Javalina. They are supposed to have similar traits when it comes to blood. Not as big or tough of course, but with luck I'll get some experience with a 4-blade.   Is it May yet!!!!!????

Really looking forward to the visit to Alberta. Never been there. Ryk also does moose and deer. This could be just the beginning...

thanks

Offline daveinthebush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 02:22:00 AM »
I would opt for a 2-blade head. Jumper drove a 2-blade completely through a 350 pound blackie last year and except for a 8" spruce on the opposite side, would have had a pass through. I have shot a few animals with Magnus Stingers, great head. For the stick bow this year I am using 145 grain, 2-blade Bears. I have never experienced a non-pass through shot with a compound except....for a guy using a Rocket expandable. Then he hit the opposite shoulder square on the T part of the scapula. A bad hit no matter what you use. Bears are easy to kill, a good quality 2-blade head should do you well.
Ok, so my first bear was with a bow with cables! It was still over 7'.

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2006, 02:37:00 AM »
Use a three blade. Try montecs if your using a carbon shaft. You will love the reslts.
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »
Just got back from the Texas Sweat and I was very happy with the performance of the Stinger 4 blade. Of course a javalina is not a bear, but a complete passthrough - the long way - and another broadside in the blink of an eye has me really impressed with the Stinger. Even Charlie Lamb was surprised. I put a two blade through a big sow hog last December. I think what I like best about these so far is the flight. They fly better than any broadhead that I've tried so far. Might give the 150 grain version a try.

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
I am suprised by the replies. To clarify, I have never shot a black bear so I can offer no practical input but the Dr. Ashby reports and most of the other posts on this site about broadhead preference seem to favor 2 blade heads for many reasons. So, why the difference in response in terms of black bears?
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 02:58:00 PM »
Northwoods, the testing Dr. Ashby has done is very good and relavent when absolute penetration is the goal.  On black bears and deer, which I am guessing, amount to probably 95% of what people hunt, penetration is not really an issue.  A lot of bear hunting is done in very thick cover and you would be better served with a bigger hole leaveing a better blood trail.  Fall bears also have a layer of fat which causes sparse bloodtrails without big holes.  If you are planning on hunting real big critters 2 blade heads are the way to go.  With bears and deer there is a lot of leeway in trading off holesize compared to penetration.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 06:39:00 PM »
Thanks Joseph. Yes, if I were shooting a lighter bow/arrow and was worried about penetration I would probably stick with a 2blade and hope for a short trail. I will always use 2blades on hogs regardless of the weight of bow/arrow I shoot.

I just picked up some Razorcaps for my bear hunt. I got lots of feedback from 3-blade proponents and I will take their advice. Being sharpening challenged on 3 blades, I chose the Razorcaps!

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »
Good choice!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
Frank,

Yes it was. They worked great. I got a complete pass through, going through ribs and the sternum and the blade was perfect. A few swipes with my crock stick and it was back in my quiver. I am very impressed with Razorcaps.

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2006, 02:08:00 AM »
Yeah,

wasnt the blood trail excelent? Good three blades make a surprizingly good hole.

NICE BEAR MAN!

it gets exciting when you see that guy coming into your stand. Or in your case... up it lol.

Enjoy that bear meat. Its excelent.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
Thanks Frank! I see you and your Dad had some fun this spring. Congrats! Way to go! Someday I will get up to AK for some REAL bowhunting LOL!

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
If you mean real as in spending more money and getting bit by more bugs I guess so lol.

I love Alaska and could never leave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©