Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Grizzlystik  (Read 3445 times)

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzlystik
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »
I'm trying to set up some arrows for an upcomming trip to Africa.  My main bow will be a Schafer 62# @29".  If anyone has suggestions regarding Grizzlystik 15gr./Inch shafts I would be appreciative.  I am thinking about a 30-31" length,300gr broadhead and 5" shield feathers.  Should give me a 765-775 gr. finished arrow.  I'm concerned that the arrow might still be a bit over spined for my bow.  Anyone with experience with a set up that is similiar???
"Live Like You Are Going To Die"

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzlystik
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 12:05:00 PM »
just curious. what is your broadhead with a weight of 300gr? is that with or without the insert? i have a dozen "medium" grizzlysticks, with 135gr broadheads, 5 3/4 feathers, weight about 720 grs. i shoot them out of a 67# sleybow recurve. they are extremely tough and durable arrows. the only practical experience i have with them, is on two medium size hogs. they performed very well. i have two with judos and they are tough, well worth the cost. happy new year and the best of luck on your hunt.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Aaron Proffitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
Turkey,
  from what i understand stiks have a huge spine range so I think you'll be ok.
    Aaron
"First thing we do,let's kill all the lawyers".
Shakespeare Henry VI, Part 2

Does an agnostic,dyslexic,insomniac lie awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog ?

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »
The 300 grain weight is a combination of insert 75 gr.+ broadhead weight 125gr+ steel glue in adaptor 100gr. I hope the spine range is broad enough if not I'll probably have to go with the lighter weight shafts.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »
Love them Griz Sticks! Go with the Alaskans or Safari's, you should be able to get either one to tune in with point weight only. You'll wind up with more up front with the Safari's and they'll wind up closer to 800 grains then 700. 800 grains is 13gr/lb so not unreasonable....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »
I shoot the Alaskans with 150gr heads out of a 60# bow and four 3" feathers,love them. I agree, well worth the money.

Offline laurenttahiti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »
I shoot alaskan 30" with 250 gr field point(145 gr broadhead+ 100gr steel adapter+ glue)with wrap and 3 5"5 feathers out of my PSA V 60#@29"
weight=700 gr  
Love them   :thumbsup:    ;)  

If they are too stiff ,turn the spine parallel to the string ,it works very well !
Bowhunter from New Caledonia(south pacific)

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »
I've read the instructions regarding determining the spine side of the arrow but thus far I am uncertain what I am doing.  My problem!! I'm waiting for some 250gr field points before starting the tuning process in earnest and fletching some shafts but I have set up one arrow at full length with 300 gr up front and I've been plesantly suprised.  Thanks to all for the comments.

Offline laurenttahiti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »
determining the spine is essential if you have a bad arrow flight!
For me,for a good arrow flight(tested by bare shaft and paper tunig methods )I had to put the spine "on top" parrallel to the string (not perpendicular to the string like written in ED's instructions)
For me it was a surprise to read that there was a spine on carbone shaft,and there is !!!   :eek:
Bowhunter from New Caledonia(south pacific)

Offline dhanson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »
You can for sure feel the spine just by rolling them per the instructions.  I do my golf club shafts the same way, heh heh.

Offline Ken999

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by dhanson:
You can for sure feel the spine just by rolling them per the instructions.  I do my golf club shafts the same way, heh heh.
Just curiuos....for those of us who do not have the instructions, what's the procedure? Will this work for all carbons?

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »
My only suggestion would be to use some bigger feathers.  Your shots are more than likely going to be close.  Having a well tuned arrow is very important.  Some 5.5 highcut feathers will help straigten things out a little quicker.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Vance in AK.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »
I'm curious as to finding spine also.  I've had someone else describe the procedure, but wouldn't mind hearing it in someone elses words.
I bought two seperate 1/2 dozen sets used from different people.  Both were supposed to be the Alaskans, but one set weighs 60gr per arrow heavier than the other even though they are only 1.25" longer, so I assume one set is really Sitkas & the other Alaskans.  The heavier ones have more of a carbonfiber look showing, while the lighter ones have a more amber appearance with the carbon showing through less brialantly.

With the light ones assembled 28.5" bop, with the standard insert, a 125gr glue-on adapter & a 140 gr point, wraps & 3 5.5" feathers I get 700gr.
The heavier ones are 29.75 bop, & 3 5.0" feathers, otherwise the same.  They weigh 760gr.
Jesus said "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.
“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."
John 15:4&5

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
finding the spine is the same as when you wrap a fishing rod the spine has to be verticle with the guides.  using a bare shaft put a strip of masking tape around the knock end so you can mark the spine put the point end on a table and the knock end in the palm of your hand, using your other hand press the center of the shaft twards the tabe a little then start rolling it while flexed. you should feel a sudden jolt when you roll over the spine do it back and forth till you pin point the spine and mark it on the tape.

Offline LITTLE DOOGLES

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »
There isn't a better  carbon Hunting shaft available to Traditional hunters today, FACT !
DOOGS

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 04:52:00 AM »
I guided Ed Schlief on Water Buffalo last year and watched Ed put one of his Safari's through the center of the big buff's shoulder and clean out the far side of it's neck.
The buff trotted a short distance staggered around in a circle and fell over dead.
Ed recovered the arrow and it was in perfect condition. I shot a good buff the year before with a 2020 legacy that I put a 1/8th welding wire up the center. My arrow pulled up on the off-side leg but the buff covered about the same distance before going down. You sure wouldn't want to try and shoot that arrow again.

Offline Avalanche123

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Good Topic! I shoot a 61lb recuve and my Grizzly Alaskans fly poorly. I have tried using different head weights to no avail. My arrows are 30.5 inches long. When I shoot, they very quickly kick left mid flight before hitting the target straight.
(Note: I also shoot left handed)
From the previous replies, I am wondering if the spine is not aligned properly?
PS I really want to get this arrow working for me as I quite like it!

Offline Avalanche123

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
Further to my previous reply: I just checked my arrows and it appears that My "stiks" are aligned perpendicular to the string. My arrows came with feathers on already so I am wondering if I am screwed? I can't just turn the arrow 90 degrees without re-fletching my arrows. Any suggestions?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 01:34:00 AM »
The last set of Grizzly sticks I bought, a couple months ago, three of us could not find a "spine" by rolling them as described.  We then put them on a spine tester snd spined them, then twisted them just a tad and spined again... all the way around the shaft.  We found only a few pounds difference all the way around.

I like them.  I get good flight, but they are heavy..like 725 to 750 the way I set them up, and these are the Alaskans.

ChuckC

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
In the event that anybody is not satisfied with their Grizzly stiks, please let me know.  I will be happy to take them off you hands as long as they are 29 inches or longer in lenght.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©