Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Dangerous Game 2006!  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Dangerous Game 2006!
« on: January 01, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
A whole new year and a time to reavaluate priorities. What do you have panned for this year?
Me, at present I'll be going back to Australia to help a few guys get water buffalo, scrub bulls, pigs and maybe a banteng. I am going to get serious about finding a good CAPE BUFFALO hunt for me, maybe I can find someone to trade me one for a water buff hunt!

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dangerous Game 2006!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
Oddly enough, a couple friends of mine are going back to OZ this year for buff and hogs, and I got invited to go along.  Won't be until August, so I have some time to work into a heavy bow and get some arrows set up.  The downside is that I will probably have to cancel a spring hog hunt in Texas.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Aussie Stickbow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »
I hope to be going back to the Northern Territory in June to hunt a water buff and some pigs.

Jeff

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
Mark U.

What you said made me laugh.  I'll put what I heard you say in food terms equivalents cause I know that best.

"Someone invited me to eat a 2# medium rare prime rib with them but that means I can't eat the kernal of popcorn that I was going to eat.....LMAO."

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 01:01:00 PM »
I will probably hunt Alaska brown bear again this year.  This will be my fourth attempt.  It will just as likley be solo as with anyone along.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
Stevo, I was thinking along the same lines, but I was polite enough not to type it!
Good luck on the bears, don't forget to put me in your will!

Offline Larry Yien

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
Hey Rick, let me know if  you get wind of any special fares to Oz, I am heading over there in June and the $1,400 tickets off expedia is looking like a tough swallow.  Thanks.

Larry
PBS Regular Member Life
TGMM

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »
Yeah, I know it sounds dumb, but you have to realize that I have one full time college student to support, a wife who is also going to OZ to sightsee while I hunt, a PBS convention in March at the time we usually hunt pigs, and I have to see if my 75# longbow will be the bow I can use, or if I need to get something else.

This kind of stuff adds up, and besides, we will be hunting hogs in OZ.  And I have one other  out of state hunt scheduled in Nov., plus all the Idaho hunts.  

Anyway, I'll see you guys in March in SLC.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 07:05:00 PM »
Larry, this is the peak season right now, our winter and their summer, so fares are as about as high as they get. The deals usually start around the end of March. I follow it fairly close so remind me from time to time. I just try to get mine no less than 60 days advance. It could be worse, since I stay for three months I get NO cheap flights, plus I have to fly the eastern US. Where are you going in OZ?    
Mark look on the bright side, as the 8th Dwarf said "don't worry about the money, maybe you'll get lucky and die before you have to pay the bills!"

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »
Steve, sometimes I feel like an ijit.  I should have added that I REALLY LIKE killing pigs in the spring, and it's a hard choice to not do the hunt, plus not going up to AK for spring bears.

And in the long run, my kids can look forward to a bunch of antlers and hides for their inheritance, but probably not much else.  So sad.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Larry Yien

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »
Rick, thanks for the travel information, I will keep in touch with you and also watch the link you sent me.  I will be in the Queensland area, Hervey Bay for about a week shooting a bow and arrow for recreation.  

After that I hope to do some hunting and fishing but haven't put that together yet.  I was hoping to talk with you and Don in SLC and see if I can get things brewing.
PBS Regular Member Life
TGMM

Offline Aussie Stickbow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 01:46:00 AM »
Larry,

I guess you will be shooting the IFAA shoot? It is only about 15 minutes drive from my door step here in Maryborough. I won't be shooting in the comp though.

It is a nice part of the world even if I say so myself. There is plenty of fishing in the area but there is no hunting.

All the best with your plans.

Jeff

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »
Larry, you should be able to get some great prices on flights, I have seen them as low as $800 for flights from LA to Sidney. I know for sure you could get into some hunting if you get up into central Queensland.

I'm still looking for a cape buff hunt if anyone comes across a good one!

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 03:43:00 AM »
Still planing to hunt 2 possible heards of wild cattle in the mountains behind my house  :banghead:    :banghead:  if I ever find the time  :rolleyes:  

don't belive my trip to OZ is gonna happen !!!

Manny
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
Manny, I'd still like to hunt them also, let me know how its going!

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »
When are you going to OZ Rick ?

I just started a new job that will give me more time to hunt, within the next 2 weeks I'll get back after them !!!

Manny
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »
Manny, it is usually May before it is dry enough to hunt easily in the Northern Territory, so thats when I will PROBABLY be going.
Rick

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
I'm gonna go after them in the next few weeks,

I'll let you know what happens.

So if you like to drop by before you go to OZ, you're welcome (kind of training for those buffs)  :bigsmyl:  

Manny

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline bear74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »
Gday Manny,
           If you come to the territory in the next few weeks you will be greeted by our monsoon season which basically means the best thing you will get is a wet ass  :(   unless of coarse you like fishing and a barramundi would the a good fish to chase. Access to most area's is totally cut during our wet season so like ricks says May onwards would be your best bet, though I would reccomend from late August to early December which is our prime hunting time in the territory.  ;)  

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Offline Aaron Proffitt 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »
Didn't know you guys have huntable pop.'s of feral cattle in  Hi.. ! Your holding out on us, Manny !!  :)    :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©