Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Has Dr. Ed Ashby named names yet?  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has Dr. Ed Ashby named names yet?
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
I think Dr. Ashby's info is invaluable. There are pro's and con's for each B-head depending on the animal and situation. I use 2, 3, and 4 blades depending on the situation. Sometimes I want lots of blood ie. a bear in thick forest. (last year) Sometimes I want better penetration and don't need as much blood. ie A buffalo in the open sage.(year before) You HAVE to tailor your head choice to the hunt.  Nothing really to argue about.When a man shoots HUNDREDS and hundreds of animals you have to pay attention to his results.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2006, 02:03:00 AM »
Yes and I have. I was not saying his info is is bad. Its the BEST info I have found in a long time. The only thing that could be better is experience. And I have that.. But I will let you guys have your victory. I have been close minded and probably rood. But hopefully I got my point across.

Thanks
Frank
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »
It doesn't necessarily matter what broadhead you are shooting if your arrow isn't properly tuned. An arrow that is flopping around in flight will loose a ton of energy when penetrating an animal. Also arrow diameter, arrow  finish, occillation, etc plays a role as well. Let's not forget the arrow when talking about penetration of a broadhead.

Ron

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »
Hmmmm! here I thought the good Dr. was trying to make penetration tests using different broadheads. His experiments were designed, so I thought, to aid the archer in choosing a broadhead that had desirable penetration on a varity of game animals and yet retained its physical properties. A universal assumption could be made that better penetration equals better killing capacity but thats all it is, an assumption. What a way to use hunting as a tax write-off.  :)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
Doc Ed's work is of value to all of us. When it's all done we'll know much more about penetration, broadhead strength and the part the arrow plays in equation.

There's much more to it than meets the eye. How we use the information is up to each of us.  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2006, 09:08:00 PM »
Well said Charlie.  :thumbsup:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »
I always enjoy reading Doc's findings, and believe his findings to be true.

I've killed over 50 whitetails with 4 blade Zwickey Deltas, and that's what I'm still using.  It works for me, ....I can't argue with a recovery rate of less than 32 yards.

But I know that's not the head for everything.

And I wouldn't go dissrespecting my elders.   :saywhat:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 10:02:00 AM »
I got an email from Oz way back while we were on page two of this thread. Ed says it gives him great pleasure to see guys "thinking" about all this. Ed never expected anyone to arrive at absolutes through his testing. It's only a guide bringing us all closer to the age old questions. If you aren't thinking for yourself, you are only "following" someone elses lead. There is a great deal of testing continuing to be undertaken. These tests are slowly filling in all the gaps previously left untouched. We'll have to be patient and prepare ourselves to test these upcomming findings "ourselves".   :thumbsup:  Thanks Doc!

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
"And I wouldn't go dissrespecting my elders."

I hope the stuff I said above doesn't come across as disrespectful to anyone, elder or not.

Things of this nature have long been an intrest of mine. I very much enjoy Dr. Ashby's work. My problem is that I know there are other things Dr. Ashby surely is going to want to test and find answer to and I know how long it takes. I don't want to wait that long!  :)

I wish he had the money and manpower to answer all of his and our questions as soon as we want them. That'll never happen and I guess it does us good to have to wait of stuff now and again.

Dr. Ashby, Sir, keep up the good work!!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
No worries Darke.  :)

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »
I Don't know fellas !!?? But I have a p[roblem with a pic of a Zebra that may wiegh 700-800 lbs shot with a 94# Bow and the feathered end of the shaft is still visible. I like to draw my own conclusions on everything.After several years of Bear guiding, I see no merit in a Single Blade Head. and I saw no benefit in a single blade head on a scapula hit!! Both single and multiple blade heads penetrated about 1/2 an inch and the bears were not recovered , but lived to be shot another day!Also bow wieght made NO difference on a Scapula hit!!! 40-80 lbs, results were the same!But on a soft tissue hit the multiple blade head insured a good blood trailand a recovered Bear.Just my humble opinion.

Sergio

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by SERGIO VENNERI:
[QB] I Don't know fellas !!?? But I have a p[roblem with a pic of a Zebra that may wiegh 700-800 lbs shot with a 94# Bow and the feathered end of the shaft is still visible.
Where is this pic? I would like to see what you are talking about so I can see for myself if it has anything to do with the topic  :)

Mick

Offline Donavan Daniel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »
That pic of the zebra was in Traditional Bowhunter. I can't remember which issue but could look it up.

Cheers,
Donavan

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »
That is one of the examples I was trying to make a point about. When you read Dr. Ashby's reports it is important to understand what he is saying. The issues come about when you try to apply the data incorrectly.

One cannot assume because a combonation works well on one animal it will be the best for all. I also don't recall reading anything about time to incapacitation. Another point that needs made can given by the following example: This type of work was done for handgun ammunition. The goal was to determine what worked best/quickest more times than not. The group selected 500 animals based on size, weight, and bone structure/content to best match humans. At the end of the study there were clear winners when the caliber and ammo was used correctly under the right conditions. Law enforcement conditions were not "the right conditions" and the data had to be masaged to find the "right" answer for that application.

Issues? You bet ya!

First people didn't understand what was being said and thought because there was a clear winner under the right conditions the "winner" was best used for all applications and failures became apparent quickly.

Second folks who had Docterate degrees in Math and statistics jumped in and said 500 animals wasn't enough data points to draw conclusions from. Medical doctors concluded to many other factors also applied in real world shootings, such as mental condition, drug use, barriers, shot angle, etc. I won't bore you with all the other details and 15 years worth of data from both sides of the what worked best coin. Today there is a clear winners and indrustry trend have been set and are working very well. I also forgot to mention the fact that all 500 animals where shot in a calm state unaware of what was happening while they were connected to equipment that monitored brain activity, blood pressure, heart rate, etc.

I saod all of that to bring home this point. Dr. Ashby is breaking new ground but is only touching one very limmited area of the subject at hand. In no way can this data be used as reported on all maner of creature if one expects valid results under all conditions, for all sizes, shapes, and make up of game. All we can conclude at this point is if a combination penetrated  beter in his reports most of the time it will on lesser animals. That does not mean it will kill quicker, but it probably means it is more likely to kill the animal at some time by reaching vitals.

As to the bow weight doesn't matter. I'm sure that is also true under certian conditions because today modern 50 lb bows on one model can shoot as fast as some 70 lb bows of another model. Again we must consider all factor and the speed of the bow is one one of many.

Another example to note ot Terry's Buffalo shot in Montana (I think). When one arrow fail to penetrate he used a back up arrow of a different type and it worked successfully. He could conclude the second arrow should always be used because it worked better than the first. When I review the data I see about 20 possible items that could have been different from the first shot to the last and conclude I learned almost nothing. The next go around the results could be totally different.

I just want to ask everyone to understand if anything is changed in the form of arrow size, weight, speed, type of bow, animal shot, angle of the shot, and on and on...don't be surprised if your results are different. If Dr. Ashby at some point created a list of 50 broadhead and ranked them from best to worse you would still need to take 5 from the top, middle, and low end and try them for your application(s). You would then be able to draw conclusions by reviewing your results and his and if you and I are smart enough figure out why the results are differnt and fine tune our choice. (in simple terms).

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by DarkeGreen:

Another example to note ot Terry's Buffalo shot in Montana (I think). When one arrow fail to penetrate he used a back up arrow of a different type and it worked successfully. He could conclude the second arrow should always be used because it worked better than the first. When I review the data I see about 20 possible items that could have been different from the first shot to the last and conclude I learned almost nothing. The next go around the results could be totally different.

Yep, at 15 yards the 2 blade glanced and deflected ....sending the arrow under the skin only 5 inches outside the rib cage.....and the Wensel Woodsman from 35 yards, on a 50 grain less arrow, burried to the fletch.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »
Terry, Was the shot angle the same for both shots? Also, did the second broadhead hit the exact spot at the same angle as the first? Just trying to gather "all" the data........ I've had both type heads do strange and unexplainable things. Although I have the utmost respect and fondness for the Wensels and those other fella's who helped design the WW, I've counted multiple failures in my own field testing of these heads. I certainly know deep down that the failures were chalked up to more than the broadhead choice. EVERY situation is individually different. The broadhead is only one part of a larger equasion. I shoot everything from Big ol' Snuffers to tiny 100 grain Grizzlies. The determining factors are the animals I will pursuit with any given set-up, bow type and draw weight, arrow type and grain weight. Without determining "all" of the criteria, I feel that I cannot come closer than a simple guess as to how my choice will perform. Even after applying all the knowledge and math, there is still a tiny margin of fait floating in a sea of hope that "any" chosen combination will perform to exacting results.

The facts are out there but without applying them to each and every situation there is absolutely no way to say in absolutes that one will out perform the other(2 blade-vs-3 blade). The only thing that can be determined is penetration and speed. Even this criteria has variables. You can't even say in absolutes if one will bleed more than the other because you could never determine if an artery would be hit or not. Sure, more cutting surfaces on a broadhead "should" equate to better odds that an artery will be hit but you or I could never get closer than a guess that it will happen. Lets say a three blade hits muscle and organs and a two blade hits muscle and organs, plus a nice fat artery. Which would then bleed more?????? The only reply to that question would be determined by pure speculation. Sure, one is "more likely" but not "positively" to arrive exacting results.

You or I could never detrmine if a rib will cause a glancing blow or if we will hit the tiny margin between ribs sending the broadhead deep. After saying all this I'll conclude with this, there is no way one man can say that a three blade head is "better" or will bleed "more" than a two blade. The absolutes just don't exist. Only speculation and odds come into play here. Good conversation going on here anyway! Keep shooting critters! It's the only thing that will ever determine anything!  CK

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »
littlefeather,

Your questions and/or doubts also relate directly to studies done in other areas. In the begining those very points were made to show why we can never gain the answers to our questions. However, this is where math (sample size) comes to play. When we shoot a buffalo twice with different results or two buffs with the same result, or differnt results we become confused and say we have no answers. In the handgun world a FBI database with no some 20k shootings was analized and compared to the 500 animals shot. Each shooting was reviewed to determine what applied and what didn't. An example is, any person that was shot twice had the data removed as there is no way to determine which bullet had what effect. The data was sorted by caliber and ammo type too. As the number of shootings grew trends could be found and probabilities defined. With 2 shooting the results could be the same or different. When you have 20,000 shootings and the data shows one broadhead cause a desired effect 90% of the times we can guess 90% of the time it is going to perform better than one that had a 10% rating. Make since?

Now if we have time to deaths or how long after the animal was shot did it fall off it's feets the data becomes more useful... if we care about such things. In hunting, within limits, we may not. In self defence shootings we certianly do. However let's say we do. Now we look at the data and find the 10% broadhead takes 30 minutes, the 90% takes 15 minutes but the 85% effective broadhead gets the job done in 2 minutes. Now we have choices to make depending on what is important to our application. We also need to figure out what's going on in the 5% between the 85 and the 90 effectiveness between the two. Maybe it can be explained by size of animal, what it ate, or purely shot placement. Maybe 5% of the time the shot was placed a little better in one verses the other. Maybe...that's just the way it is and nothing can explain the 5%. Still we have information to use to make informed decisions with.  Maybe the answer is anything rated above 80% is a good choice so long as we do our job. We should know we always need to say away from broadheads in the under 50% range.

Bottom line is we still don't have enough information to make perfect choices based on what I've read so far. I do believe I can make a better decision if I use the data correctly. Only time and a bunch more animals stuck are going to prove if I/we made the right choice.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
BTW, This study is long over due and I again want to say thanks to Dr. Ashby for all your hard work!!!

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
The Doc left yesterday going bush for two months. This will conclude his Buffalo testing from what he told me a couple of nights ago. Then on to smaller game and the questions everyone has been asking..... What broadhead for lil' ol' whitetails, pigs, and elk??? HeeeHeee! Keep up the theories fella's. This thinking stuff sure make it all fun!!! CK

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »
Correct Curtis......I wasn't dissing the 2 blade head...and would certainly use one again on BIG big game...it was just the angle it hit along with hitting that flat spot on the rib just perfect....it would have happened in reverse.

Both shots were quartering away, and no, they didn't hit in the same place.

As I eluded to in another thread directly related...I used a 2 blade on the 1st shot because I felt that was best for that animal, and even the best laid plans can go south on ya.  If I would have used the same head on the 2nd shot, I'm sure the results would have been a dead buff cause the arrow slipped between the ribs.

It was just the way the cookie crumbled this time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©