Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hogs and K.E  (Read 1529 times)

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Hogs and K.E
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:54:00 AM »
Im heading to Georgia for my first hog hunt in February with my longbow, and I just wanted to be sure I can get into a hog with it.
I calculated the K.E on it to be around 28 FtLbs (160 FPS/ 500 Grain Arrow)with a scary sharp Magnus II 2-Blade.

Aside from boar, what are other general KE minimum recomendations just out of curiosity...

Thanks Gang
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs and K.E
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
All those formulas make my head spin.
  "[dead]"    "[dead]"    "[dead]"    "[dead]"  

Manny
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »
Matt... your set up will work just fine.  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »
Sure will, just let the one that looks like a VW bus keep on walking, it wont taste that great either   :scared:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:21:00 AM »
You can hit a 400 pounder just above the elbow slightly 1/4 away and he's dead, dead, dead. You can hit a 200 pound mature boar in the shield with 70 foot pounds then you better be near a tree. Sweet spot   :thumbsup:
Bob Lee Heavy Weight. Burled Bubinga/Black Micarta 55# @ 28". 58"

Offline Aaron Proffitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 02:37:00 AM »
I forget, and I hear it mentioned all the time;
where is the shield at again ?
"First thing we do,let's kill all the lawyers".
Shakespeare Henry VI, Part 2

Does an agnostic,dyslexic,insomniac lie awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog ?

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »
Roughly were the center of the lungs will be on a whitetail. Age has alot more to do with shield thickness than size...Male hogs do have a thicker tougher shoulder blade than a sow but boars fight by crossing their heads about the neck or so and they gouge and cut the hell out of each other in the shoulder area 'till one of em says uncle. This causes scar tissue. Over the years the scar tissue will get thicker and thicker and cover more and more of the shoulder. They don't call em North American Rhino's and the Poor Man's Grizzly for nuthin...

www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

This ain't no monster old boar but it'll show you how small the kill zone is to begin with. Notice how low the boiler room is...Bacote      :thumbsup:

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 10:31:00 AM »
I shot some big hogs with about the same amount of KE just hit them low and tight to the shoulder and they go down fast.  A nice 1/4ing away shot is prime     :thumbsup:

Offline Aaron Proffitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »
Thanks , Bacote !! Interesting lesson there; not where I would've figured the vitals to be ,almost like on african game. Very low & very far forward.

Aaron
"First thing we do,let's kill all the lawyers".
Shakespeare Henry VI, Part 2

Does an agnostic,dyslexic,insomniac lie awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog ?

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 12:44:00 AM »
And very African Tough. I've screwed up a few times and hit an old boar right were ya ain't supposed to. Looked like the arrow hit a Hickory Stump. Then I just did my best Road Runner imatation...BK...   :eek:

And just to let you know how little KE you need if you hit the spot like wifishkiller is talkin about. I've killed several boars over 300lbs in that spot with dogs and a pocket knife. Learned that from my ol uncle who is no longer with us when I was a grass hopper...  :rolleyes:

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »
In contrast to Bacote's experiences, I've shot scores of big boars broadside and never had any penetration problems. I mean, I don't get passthrus but 14" of penetration gets the job done nicely. Mostly with 65# and 550 grain threeblade heads. Woodsmans, Snuffers and Razorcaps.

I think the hogs in Texas fight more and probably have thicker shields on average. I hear lots more fighting when I'm down there than in Florida or Georgia.  
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 07:23:00 AM »
Sorry about the size of the photo. I thought I had it sized down. I'm really not trying to make him look bigger...honest!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 11:43:00 PM »
That makes alot of sense Biggie. I never thought of that. I think alot of people don't understand that a great protion of the "SHIELD" is in fact scare tissue from fighting, along with a heavier set of shoulders than a farm hog or woods sow...Bacote...  :thumbsup:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »
Biggie that is a handsome piggie!
Congrats,
Bjorn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©