Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: hunting fort stewart hogs  (Read 6215 times)

Offline BillyBobHowdieVern

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting fort stewart hogs
« on: February 27, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
any georgia people hunt ft. stewart for hogs

john

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting fort stewart hogs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
I don't know about hunting them because I didn't get to when I was stationed there but there was certainly no shortage of them and several that we saw were big!!!  We were coming back from partying in Savanah one night and the car in front of us was a VW bug.  We saw a huge hog run out into the road, the bug hit it and came to a dead stop!  When we got up there the bug was totaled and the pig was laying in the ditch but not for long.  He started squealing and thrashing around and before you know it he was on his feet and into the swamp!  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 10:14:00 PM »
I was there for a bit as well. About a month and was going to hunt it but things fell through. I scouted down by a river or large creek and it was torn up in there. Good luck, you'll do well on them.
How I love Colorado!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »
i read you can hunt them purdy much year round there is only a short time they dont let you. i am going to try this spring

john

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
Plenty of hogs, BUT, very tough hunting. Mostly nocturnal .
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
I`ve hunted Stewart for years . There are a lot of hogs in every area I`ve been in and if you go deep enough you can get on`em any time of the day. Ive seen as many as thirty in a group.
    you can`t hunt hogs in the spring during Turkey season but they are fair game the rest of the year. I suggest snake boots because you will encounter cotten mouths and rattlesnakes if you hunt much. Gators are in every hole that has five gallens of water and they ain`t pets.But its worth it when you run an arrow through a fort stewart porker.Fishing is really good also.RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »
sounds good to me

john

Offline Titanbow_SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
I went down a couple of years ago, for the first time since I got out of the army.  When I was there I saw quite a few hogs, but didnt get a shot.  Also, with units coming and going from Iraq, it seems that they dont open as many areas, and the best areas didnt seem to be open.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
John,

I hunted there twice last year lots of hogs, and even killed few here and there.

Right now I am in Fort Benning and we are covered up with hogs.

There is not many areas and too many times that I do not get on to hogs. During the last week I have been going out in the evenings after work. Have been seeing between 15 to 60 in a three hour hunt. I have averaged about two to five shots and about double that in stalks.

A week ago I killed a sow that bottomed out a 200lb scale. Most range int the 75 to 100lbs range with quite a few 200+ boars running around.

If you get over this way to hunt hogs you will not be disappointed. Just stick near the creeks and swamps and you will find them. They really like the thick stuff around these areas.

Chris

Offline Titanbow_SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
I was stationed at Fort Benning for 3 years, from 98 to 2001.  Man, what I'de give to hunt that place again!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
Stewart is loaded with pigs, as RC says...and if you will walk more than 100 feet off the roads you can locate pigs during the day....not a problem.

40 bucks a year gets you a pass....I think. At least thats what it was the last time I went a couple years ago.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
Yeah we have pretty good on Benning. Year round hunting, and plenty of bow only areas.

Matter of fact we just proposed a new regulation that will allow year round bowhunting in all areas, similar to Braggs bowhunting policy, that are not affected by live munitions.

Chris

Offline Titanbow_SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »
Chris,
 Have you hunted along the Chattahoochie on Sunshine road? I think its area AA1? It was probably 3 or more miles west of where Sightseeing Road meets Sunshine road.  I hunted a near 300lbs boar in there all summer, and never got him.  I missed him at 25 yards once, and saw him several times but could never get a shot.  This was in 2000.  Like you said in your earlier post, I had stalks and shot opportunities almost every time out.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 07:46:00 PM »
guys your making me drool im gonna have to hunt stewart now thanks alot

john

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 10:41:00 AM »
John, sent you an e-mail but my computer is about dead. Give me a call at 912-367-1347 if you did not get it. RC
   Ray Hammond, It would be an honor to run the swamp with you one day.RC

Offline carterT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
RC,I live in Baxley maybe we can get together sometime and go over there. I finally got a pass.It'll be fun,I'll miss a few and you will hit a few.But no hard feelings I'll even clean them for ya.GOD BLESS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
RC i didnt get your e-mail i will try to call sat guys i would be honored if we could plan a hunt (even though i now reside in ala.) i am from athens ga.. i would love to hunt with some of ya'll

john

Offline mikeschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »
John

I was at Stewart from 98-99 and was on the hunting and fishing advisory council. Great hunting during that time. I have gone back at least once a year since.  In 2000 the base opened to year around rifle, combined with shoot to kill by the wardens and the fire crews.  Hunting is now much tougher, and the hogs have been mostly nocturnal.  Population is much lower now.  I have heard Benning was on the upswing. Hogs will really populate when they are not hunted with high powered rifles 24/7 - 365.

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
I was there in late may last year. I missed one and had a 200+er smell me. I only had 3 days or I might have connected. I plan to go back in early June for a week. I'll be at the campgrounds.

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »
Mike, you are dead on correct. Alot of this "easy hog killin" hype on FT. STEWART is old info.. Yes there are still plenty there but they are darn tough to to get a shot at with trad bows. I hunted 3 days the first week of Feb. with 11 fellows from TBSWV, all VERY experianced bowhunters. We all saw hogs but getting a shot was a whole 'nother matter. I'm no expert at hogs but when they stay holed up in such thick stuff that you can hear them 20 ft away but can't see them that should tell ya' something. Hence my original post on page 1. I did manage to kill 2 deer , 1 a fine 8 point, off the ground earlier in 2005 on Ft Stewart.The hogs are mostly nocturnal no matter how far you go in.Good luck to all.....Chuck Sinclair
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©