Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Dances with bulls  (Read 1389 times)

Offline pucci

• Trad Bowhunter
Dances with bulls
« on: March 29, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »
Interesting article I just found about hunting australian bovines...

http://www.aushunt.com.au/main/mainarticle2.php?articleid=13efadac29

I wonder how common are these kind of things bowhunting water buffs, scrub bulls, etc.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dances with bulls
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
Wow! Now thats a hunting story. But, I don't understand the rationale of immediately following up dangerous game with no firearms backup, knowing you put a killing shot on the animal, knowing their propensity for stopping and looking down their backtrail to kill whatever is after them, in order to put a second killing shot in the bull...then doing it from 15 yards!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure he was making really sharp decisions in the heat of the moment.Can't say I would do better, but I hope I would be more prudent than he seemed to be in his story. Maybe familiarity caused him to be less careful than he should have been??
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »
one thing that story fails to mention is that he was in an area he shouldnt have been - he was poaching. after getting the all clear from the hospital he was charged with poaching i beleive, along with some other things - and found guilty.

there has been a fair bit of controversy over this story as it was published in an australian bowhunting magazine, and the poaching/illegal activities were never mentioned there either. I'm dissapointed that the story was published as it made him out to be a hero/survivour rather than a criminal.  :mad:    "[dntthnk]"

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 03:53:00 AM »
Pedro Lever has been dragged over the coals many times over this incident, and it beggars belief that he would then write a story for BHDU (and the aushunt website) and think that it wouldn't stir the whole thing up again.

Mick

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 09:09:00 AM »
yikes!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline alimoche

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »
It makes you think in the risk you take while hunting, and with the adrenaline, dont play with nature.. Very interesting article

Pedro

Offline pucci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
Wait...alimoche, are you the Pedro of the story?...

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »
No, Alimoche is from Spain...an engineering student, Pucci. His last name is Ampuero, not Lever.

Offline alimoche

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
Thanks Ray Hammond, I am not the Pedro of the history, thanks god, because i wouldnt like to have been in such situation..

Pedro AMPUERO hahaha

Offline DSARGE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 09:08:00 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but I take it wild cattle are a game animal down under? Are they like feral pigs here in the states?

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 12:49:00 AM »
yes, they are known as scrub bulls or scrubbers in oz mate. they are mostly found in more northern areas and sometimes have been wild for quite a few generations, as they are the more whiley animals which could not be mustered by helicopter due to their taking refuge in thick scrub. they are considered "poor mans buffalo" given their aggressive nature. i look forward to dropping the string on one sometime in the future.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©