Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bear with Deer Elk question  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear with Deer Elk question
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
Couple of questions here. I have plans on hunting all three at the same time as thats the way it is in Colorado. I would really love to shoot a Bear, so do you forgo the Deer and Elk and just hope to see a Bear and put on a stalk for the bear or try calling a Bear in and messing up the Deer and Elk or will it mess up the Deer and Elk hunting.
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear with Deer Elk question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »
The last two times I shot elk in Colorado I had bears get to the meat before I could get it hauled off the Mountain. On one of those trips my buddy was hunting alone and had a bear come charging in after he gave a cow call. He waved his arms and yelled and it ran off. I think I would concentrate on hunting elk and deer then worry about the bears after you got something down.
Jack Shanks

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
In MT, fall bears are pretty much targets of opportunity but I run into them often enough while elk hunting so that I can say I'm bear hunting too. But, I do make a point of looking for bear sign whenever I'm around berry patches. If I find it, I slow down and hunt very carefully, and will glass the area from a distance next time I go through. Don

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »
I take advantage at what presents itself at the time.If you happen on a good elk or deer oppurtunity take it.The results may lead to shot at a bear.As stated by Jack above.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »
I'd go for an elk or deer first and use the gut pile to draw in a bear.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
thanks for the tips fellows but I guess I am going to have to make a choice. I called an outfitter in the area I plan to hunt just in case I drop an Elk about 8 miles back where I had planned to hunt, I could need help pronto. Told him I was hoping to shoot a Bear also and he told me where there were "berries" and bear 4 miles back before I got to where I had planned to go. So I am going to try there first with some scouting etc. Also, was advised to try calling w/ Carleton call & watch a video
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©