Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Oz Buff '07  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
Oz Buff '07
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
Okay, gang. We've been talking about it... who's ready to do it? I'll be taking two groups of 3-4 experienced hunters back to Melville Island in late June-early July 2007 for more buffalo adventures with my old friend Bill Baker. In my opinion, this is one of the premier dangerous game bowhunts in the world. I will be happy to provide all details including photos, references etc. I am not a booking agent -- just going back because I love the area. Drop me a line and let me know who is ready, or at least interested. Cheers, Don

Offline hood_lum

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oz Buff '07
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 03:04:00 AM »
I would be interested in some info. I'm looking for a great hunt for 2007. I already have an idea of what it will cost and that is not an issue. I'm more interested in making sure this would be the right hunt for me. If it works out and sounds like a go then I would hope that we could get together and meet sometime when I'm back home. My mom and dad live around the Billings area and my aunt lives south of Missoula on the river near Clinton. I grew up around the Red Lodge area and now live in Nebraska.(Long Story) My grandmother used to live in Lewistown and I have spent many a summer around that area. It would truly be an honor to share a camp with you.

Adam Ott
Lincoln NE
NATURE GIVES AND NATURE TAKES AWAY, AND IT IS NOT ALWAYS EASY FOR FOOLS LIKE US TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.(E. DONNALL THOMAS, JR. "LONGBOWS IN THE FAR NORTH"

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 11:25:00 AM »
Adam -- I returned some info by private message. I'll be over there late June -- mid-July next year. Wish I was going sooner, but I have committments in Africa and Alaska this year. Melville is an incredible experience in one of the most remote wilderness areas I've found... and it's full of buffalo. At this point, 11 bowhunters have hunted there and all have killed bulls, some with more drama than others. Feel free to get back to me after you review the info I sent you. Don

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »
Ok, Don, you can e-mail me the info too.  I may have an "on my own" or "with an Ozzie friend" thing in the works but it is just a possibility at this point.

Know anyone that needs my second kidney (O+) and will you take it out so I can pay for the trip?

Also, the ipe shafts you used, what is your source?

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »
Steve -- I'll e-mail you the info. Is the FS email address corect? The kidney won't be neccessary, but if you aren't doing anything with your left (small) testicle we could put it in hock. Don

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 11:53:00 PM »
Don,

I'm a no-body (in comparison to the big names around this forum), fairly new to the Trad Gang but been hunting for 35 years.  I'd like to see what the details amount to in this hunt you're proposing....Buff is on my short list....anything is possible at this point.

Mike Orton
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 01:41:00 AM »
That one will work Don.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »
I'm interested in getting information on the trip. My dad & I have been wanting to go on a trip like this and would like to get some more details.

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »
Jesse and Mike -- Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] (I am a sponsor so I can do this.) I can send you a whole lot of nuts and bolts info. Don

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »
Don, I know we talked about it last year but I had a couple of other hunts scheduled already. Now that I've been bitten by the sheep bug everything else seems to be put on the back burner for me. Maybe in a couple of years and a few more Mountains climbed I'll come to my senses.
Jack Shanks

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
Dang.  Is the price of these hunts getting so bad we have to barter off the family jewels???

Steverino, remember that your margin of error is greatly reduced when the only survivor is the last grape on the family tree.  You could suddenly find yourself the bald Avon lady, or even selling cookies as a tall girl scout.  

Both of wich, by the way, would be more profitable in the long run.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »
Undeerstood, Jack. Physically, the Melville hunt is intermediate. I have put in some long days hiking under tropical conditions, but you don't have to if you don't want to. It's certainly no sheep hunt. Get that one out of the way while you're young (like me)... Don

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 12:41:00 AM »
I love to read these threads, and at the same time it's killing me.  I'd planned on already having my cape tanned by now, but due to an accident (put me out of work) I don't know when I'll get to go for my buff.  I do still fully intend to go though!  At least it gives me more time to research and practice........

Chad

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 01:46:00 AM »
Hey Don..
Just wondering if you could send me some of the info re the buff with bill.
I wouldn't have as far to travel [ i'm in melbourne] but am seriously keen if all planned out o.k.
thanks for any assistance
cheers
ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »
Don,

I just got off from the phone with Dale Karch a few hours ago and he couldn't stop talking about what a great hunt he and Denny Sturgis had with Bill on this hunt.  They just got back a couple of days ago and both of them took two great bulls each.  The conversation got me pumped and I would appreciate some info if it's convenient for you to pass it along.  I will be going to Australia a couple of times next year on business so I might be able to make it work.

Thanks,

Bryan
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
Still trying to get caught up on things since our return. I've been on some great hunts over the years, but this one is my all time favorite! We hiked for miles and miles, saw tons of game and had many, many stalks. Bill is truly the "Fred Bear" of Austrailia and his wife, Linda, is a peach. I learned more about stalking from Bill than I thought possible. Every aspect of the trip went smoothly. I have to return soon. I'll start another thread with some pics with help from my son.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »
Please send me the info

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
Folks -- Lori and I just got back from a month in Africa, which is why I am way behind on my correspondence. Any of you who wanted info on the Melville hunt can drop me a PM or just email me at [email protected]. I was delighted -- but hardly surprised -- that Denny and Dale had a great time. I'm sure they will agree with me that there is no hunt quite like this one. And to be honest, I'm looking forward to working out with my camera and fly rod as much with my bow when I return next year. Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©