Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Buff bow  (Read 3820 times)

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buff bow
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »
anyone with anymore experince with the das kinetic bow? i am thinking of buying one soon. thanks
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2006, 02:00:00 PM »
The DAS Kinetic did very well in Australia!  :)
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »
Kelly, you are a master of understatement. My Wesley Special did "very well." What the DAS did was nothing short of amazing.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 08:33:00 AM »
Why haven't we heard the story about the DAS bow shooting Buffalo yet?

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »
I hate to be redundant, but, I have been shooting bows for 54 years  and have never shot a better hunting bow than the DAS bow. Pound for pound, the best performing bow I have ever shot.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline DAS Kinetic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »
CCH,
   Because the guy that did it doesn't post on the websites.  He is a writer for Bowhunter and other magazines though, so the story may show up in print.  That may also be why no one has said much.  He took a 66# DAS and shot 2 buffs.  One with an 850gr arrow and the other with a 935 gr arrow, both with STOS heads.  Both arrows broke a rib going in and stopped with the broadhead protruding out the far side 6 to 8 inches.  He also shot a large hog and a scrub bull that were clean passthroughs.  His arrows were clocking about 186fps average.  Those are the facts as I know them.  Rik was there and saw what happened so he would be a better source, but if Doug is writing an article, I'm not sure how much they want to say.  I think the performance of that "light weight" tackle opened a few eyes.  I've got pictures on my website in the gallery, under "safari room".

Offline Mud Lake Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 06:38:00 PM »
I just returned from Melville with three friends. We shot 7 buff. I have quite a bit of information about our bows, arrows, broadheads, penetration, etc.

I shot my first bull at 11 yards. About 5 degrees quartering away. Near front leg forward. Head down, feeding. 70 pound DAS Recurve bow at my 31 inch draw. 850 grain arrow. Arrow is a Cabelas SST 240 with 9.5 inches of all thread bolt glued in the front. This is the exact same arrow as the old Easton PC. Finished arrow 31 inches to back of broadhead. Steel 125 grain broadhead adapter. 160 grain STOS broadhead, single bevel for left fletched arrows with tanto tip. Tire gel applied to entire length of shaft night before hunt (makes it very slick) Vaseline applied to broadhead and end 12 inches of shaft. Arrow speed 170 fps for momentum of 0.65. FOC 25.
Arrow went thru rib on entry, vertically, about half way from the center of the rib and the back of the rib. Large fracture of rib at this location. Never even looked to see if the arrow hit a rib on exit.
Approximately 12 inches of shaft protruding out the off side.
Shot location was about 5 inches straight above the elbow joint and it came out on the opposite side about 2 inches forward of this location. I was purposefully shooting for the V, and this exact location. After observing several necropsies, I concluded this to be the ideal shot for this situation. The ribs appeared to be smaller here than back at the crease or farther back.
Bull ran/trotted/stumbled in a semi-circle for a measured distance of 60 yards, and fell 45 yards from my location. Fletch end of shaft was found 30 yards from shot location. Broadhead end of shaft was found 50 yards from shot location.

Second bull was shot at 9 yards. Perfectly broadside. Almost exact same shot location and nearly exact hit thru entry rib. 935 grain arrow at 164 FPS for momentum of 0.68. Same shaft, broadhead, all thread in front (just a little longer) FOC about 24.5. Bull stumbled 25 yards straight away, turned and came straight back and fell at 18 yards from shot location. About 10 inches of fletch end fell out at 25 yards, 10 inches of broadhead end fell out at 22 yards and middle 10 inches remained lodged in the center of the heart.

Both buffalo were old, mature bulls.

I have email photos available of the bow, broadhead, all thread insert, dead buff, etc, if anyone is interested.

I studied the Dr. Ed information religiously for scores of hours. I then spent months experimenting and testing and shooting. A huge thanks goes to Dr. Ed and everyone who provided information or advice that helped make this adventure so successful.

I also shot a large scrub bull, with 920 grain arrow and boar with 850 grain arrow.

I own a whole basement full of Groves Recurve bows, and consider them to be some of the finest hunting weapons ever made. However, the DAS bow I got just before we departed for Oz is beyond description. I was able to drop 9 pounds of draw weight and gain arrow speed, if you can imagine such a thing. The heavy arrows with high FOC are almost unstoppable. David, at DAS, gets a huge credit for making such an outstanding bow and Kelly Peterson for making a couple special strings, which included my “no gloves.”

I don't spend much time at these web sites, so don't know much about them and have no idea how to attach photos.

Doug Chase

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 11:24:00 PM »
Thank's Doug, That is the info I wanted to hear. I saw your pic's over at tradtalk. Congratulations. I hope to read a full story in the magazine.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 04:02:00 AM »
Shoes on or off mate?

:)  

In Oz, alan
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Torben Jensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »
Doug, please check your PM.
Torben

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
I was waiting for Doug to fill in the details above, I didn't want to steal his thunder. As you can see, the DAS performed even beyond expectations. I'm a longbow guy, but man, I have to admit, those DAS bows are something else. Before I switched over to longbows, my recurves were all 85 pounds at 28 inches, and they were fast, very fast. Doug's lightweight DAS makes them look like weak sisters, seriously.

You asked about barefoot action? Well, I think Doug had his boots on, but on my second buffalo, Billy and I dropped packs and boots and went after a herd bull, thinking we would quicky get busted by him or his many cows, so it would be a short stalk. But on a bull that size, a guys gotta try anyway, right?

Two hours and 1.7 tenderfooted miles later, never being more than 70 yards behind the bull and several times being well under 20 yards, I laced him through the heart at 18 yards. He was rutting so hard he never even knew he had been hit. He died about 12 steps from there.  Well, that's when I realized I had to walk back another tenderfooted 1.7 miles to get my boots, and even more importantly---drinking water. Man it gets hot in Australia!

For comparison sake regarding the DAS, I was shooting a 75-pound Howard Hill Wesley special, and Ipe arrows tipped with 160-grain Grizzly broadheads (860 grains total). On my first bull, which was laying down when I shot, the arrow went through the sternum, up through the heart, and lodged up in the spine with the fletching sticking straight down between his two front legs. I hit the second bull right in the crease, slightly quartering away. The broadhead cut a big rib horizontally, centered the heart, and stuck deep in a far rib. Doug's bow, being much lighter in weight, drove the broadheads clear out the other side of his bulls. Think what they will do on elk!

One more thing, everyone seems to be most interested in the penetration performance of the DAS, but they are forgetting its most important feature, and that is AMAZINGLY CONSISTENT ACCURACY. After two arrows, I can shoot the things better than any bow I have ever owned. If you want to consistently shoot knocks off and have ultra-tight arrow groups, get a DAS. You'll see what I mean.

P.S. I think we may have to get Doug back on here, as it seems he skewered a 6x6 bull with his DAS bow Sunday morning. He might have an interesting story to tell there too.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »
Thanks Rik, I'm sure you'll be back here in Oz working under Bill's spells soon.

In Oz, alan
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
G'day guys, Well Rik I'm going to have a go at posting a couple of my photos on here with this but as you would I'm just about computer illiterate.
We are also still on dail-up here in our little village so this whole process is about as slow as as an Idaho mountainman without shoes.LOL.
That's Rik with the fallen Buff after that long barefoot stalk and a Classic 18yard heart shot.
The guy with the handsome PINK pack is our old mate Mr.Doug Chase and as you can see he's hanging onto that recurve fairly tightly, even though we all offered to carry it for him.

Unbelievable after only one hour I've got it there!

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 03:35:00 AM »
Good pics mate. See... you can teach an ol dog new tricks!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 01:31:00 AM »
Great stories and photos, lads! Thank you, and well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
Not trying to knock the DAS because they are fine bows - and I know from having shot one. However, as far as comparing penetration of Riks kills to Doug's, I would lean toward the arrow difference between the two causing the increase  in penetration.
The little skinny carbon SST's loaded heavy up front are the ultimate in penetration and I'm sure if Rik used them with his longbow he would be amazed at how much better they penetrate over his wood arrows.
To think the bow is such a big factor, especially since it was a lot lighter in draw weight, just doesn't compute to me. Of course that 31" draw probably factors in to increase performance also. JMHO
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Torben Jensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »
Anybody know what the spine is on the SST 240 arrows from Cabelas ?
I guess it would be logical to expect a spine of
240 but I don't think there is made arrows that stiff at all ? The stiffest I have yet seen is 300.
Torben

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
Ipe arrows I read about another hunter shooting that type of arrow...where is good source for Ipe shafts???? Awesome story thanks for sharing , that DAS must be the Real Deal!!!  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »
Bob Burton, who i believe is the owner of Whispering Wind Arrows, according to several articles i have read, has the ipe wood arrows. he is located in Montana.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »
Try Allegany for ipe.  I've heard him mention them at a show.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©