Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hogs on the Ground  (Read 5581 times)

Offline wakemstakemdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Hogs on the Ground
« on: July 04, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »
Please give sound experienced advice on what you've experienced and not heard on shooting hogs with traditional equipment on the ground. I want to do it in Pine Log WMA in Georgia and I have heard so much nonsense and "spooky Legends" about this. What should I expect? How do I do it safe?
If I don't show my kids Christ I have completely blown it as a Father

Offline DSARGE.308

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs on the Ground
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »
I have been hunting hogs on the ground for a while. They are more scared of you then you are of them. The only hogs I have had turn were ones that were wounded and cornered, with the exception of the sow that almost ate me up as a kid (I was asking for that one). I shoot them all the time from the ground. Your biggest problem is going to be getting in range, not being attacked. Just make sure they are dead before you approach!
I found the Lord again--although he never lost me!

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
I PREFER to hunt them from the ground, if you are in a treestand and they aren't close enough, you are out of luck, if you are on the ground, just sneak a bit closer. Its VERY rare to have a hog attack. I've only ever seen one full blown charge and that was on wounded and cornered boar. I did THINK I might get charged by a big boar in north GA, it was my own fault, I was calling to him and he thought another pig was challenging him.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »
DO IT ALL THE TIME. WHAT DESARGE SAID GETTING CLOSE ENUFF IS THE PROBLEM.

Offline liteandsirens

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »
I went hunting this morning for hogs. I walked through some really thick brush for about 20 minutes. When I found a nice clear spot, with a few game trails intersecting, I sat down. About 2 minutes later, out of the corner of my eye, I saw  the face and side of a hog, through the brush. I sat still hoping he would take a path near me. He didnt, he must have turned and walked away from the clearing. It was the first time I had ever seen a hog since I started trad bowhunting, 3 weeks ago. It was awesome. He was silent. He was close enough for my trad abilities. Unfortunately, he was behind some brush and dissapeard as quickly as I saw him. I wouldnt be afraid or worried about hunting wild hogs. Ive hunted them with dogs and a knife in the past. You will be much safer with a bow, IMO, because you dont have to grab the animal while hes alive. He doesnt even need to know your there. Draw, release, listen, wait a little, go get your bacon.  justin

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »
Its very intense and dangerous, much too dangerous for the likes of you!!!  :eek:    :scared:

Call me  :knothead:
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline wakemstakemdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »
If I don't show my kids Christ I have completely blown it as a Father

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »
I've killed a heck of a lot of hogs from the ground over the years. There is some Urban Legend mixed with real danger in taking big dominant boars and Sows with young. I'd say 90% of all hogs I've shot reacted no different than a deer when hit. The other 10% have knocked me down, run over me, and made me kick and swing to get away from them. Don't get all ate up with the danger issue. It is there but it's not such an issue that you should be concentrating on which way to run when you should be concerned with making a really good shot. Almost all the hogs that I've experienced that got aggressive were that way because they were shot and I trailed them too soon. Give em time to die then go recover them. CK

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 11:31:00 AM »
Been close to hogs many times with gun and bow only one time did I feel in some danger and that time nothing happened.I would not consider them dangerous game.Kip

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »
Don't corner a wounded hog, if another hog is hanging around your dead or wonded hog (mate or a piglet's mama) shoot the hagner too. Finally, don't make hog calls with your pant's down, that's when they charge.

Say- where is the best shot placement? Hogs vitals are kind of forward, aren't they?
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »
Groundhunter- I'm not flaming, just interested why you are asking about shot placement if you have already been hunting them?

I don't consider hogs in GA dangerous game. Australia probably and when you chase them with dogs, yes...but not under spot/stalk conditions are they often a problem. Just don't pick up piglets or get between mama and baby and you will usually be just fine.

As stated above, they're going to run from YOU in most instances.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »
Ray- great picture,where did you get it?I printed a copy,because it's always easier to show someone than to try and explain.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
i actually got it from here, Leland....someone posted it on another thread and I thought so much of it I captured it- I guess it was over a year ago.

It looks a lot like the stuff the NBEF uses..but I have no clue where it came from. I show this to every new hog hunter and it really seems to help with shot placement.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »
OK, so How 'bout finding hogs on the ground? Any advice? Are hog calls usefull? bWhen do they go to water? I like hunting hogs, but most have been hogs I walked up, or at feeders moring and evening. I need a bit more hog knowledge to find 'em.
GroundHunter

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »
Hogs here, GH, are a good bit different than they are where you live. I would correspond with CK - Littlefeather- because he is the TX expert at it.

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
Yeah, that vitals picture explians why so many hogd run off after what looks like a good hit, even with a rifle. Looks like it's righ above the leg, rather than back of the shoulder.

I find practicing for hogs is an adjustment on the instictive sight picture, as I have to overcome shying away from the ground. Especially on the little good-eating pigs (30-50#). Texas hill-country feral hogs are pretty tough chewing for the bigger ones.

Humting those little eaters is a challenge 'cause they move around so much.
GroundHunter

Offline bear74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
Gday all,
         I have been huntin hogs for many years now in australia's northern territory where I live. I would have to agree with ray that the most likely hog that will charge is a wounded boar but is rare, with a sow that has young being the most likely to stand their ground or charge. in my experience I am more worried about a water buff or croc than a hog charge  :scared:  The swamps that we hunt often hold large numbers of hogs often seeing 100+ pigs for a day in the field and I havn't been charged for a few years now  :)  but that could change when I go huntin tomorrow  :D  

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
I like that tag line, Bear. " If its Feral, It's in Peril!!!!!

I have to go to Australia - sounds like a blast.

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
Hog vitals are indeed forward and the best way to address that problem is to hold out for a shot that's slightly quartering away. nothing goes down faaster than a double-lunged hog but anything less can be a disaster. I've killed hogs in Australia, HI, CA, GA and FL and the only one that ever charged was a Hawaiian boar that wasn't quite dead yet. (He was soon thereafter.) Like bears, their danger is over-rated. Get in as close as you can, but treat them with respect. Don

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »
There is more room forward than you might think....this hog I shot was just a few degrees off broadside, and if it would have been broadside it still would have died in the same 30 yards....

This shot took out the top of the heart and both lungs.....quatering is great, but don't pass up broadside...

Look how forward the exit wound is.....

This might be a great opportunity to show some shot placement photos.  Ray and I discussed this on the way back, and by showing these pics someone may save themselves some grief.  It shows just how forward you can shoot a hog because of the front end bone structure.

Remember, this 300#er only ran 30 yards, and this shot did get both lungs and the heart......

This pic reveals that 'Bride of Horse Tail' was slightly quartering away. It also shows how far forward it exited without hitting any bone. This picture however is deceiving on how low on the body the shot placement was.

This pic shows the true elevation on the body...and makes the shot 'low and tight'.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©