Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hogs on the Ground  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs on the Ground
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
Hope to hunt hogs myself in 2007.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
Hogs are a blast on the ground......once you experience it.....you'll be hooked.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
I have hunted them at night on a full moon. What a blast. Corn a road or trail and sit down an wait. You will hear them coming.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Mr Hammond's picture of a hog is great.  I spot/stalk hogs more so than stand hunt.  I just like to cover allot of ground.  Hit them low and tight behind the front shoulder and they run of squealing like a stuck pig.  Move slow and keep the wind in your face and you'll be fine.  I would not advise shooting any piglets traveling with a big sow.  60-100# are great eating.  If you come across a sounder of hogs pick out the 100-175# boars they taste great when marinated is spicks and seassoning for about two hours.  I'm getting hungry.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Bowdaddy;
I've heard raspberry jello powder in your pockets provides the same protection from exraged, wounded hogs.  And it's easier to run fast than with a bottle in your pocket.
  :biglaugh:  
Also, Nikes are preferred over heavy Vibram soled shoes.

<")))>< Michael >>------->

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Are you talking about ferals or pure Russians? Don't know if rasberry jello powder is strong enough for the Russians.

Offline Txjourneyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
I have hunted hogs on the ground for several years with traditional blackpowder guns and with my compound bow. This is the exact reason I got a recurve. I love spot and stalk hog hunting and can't wait to try it with my recurve. I will have to become a better shot than I am at present. I would have a better chance of wounding a hog than killing one right now but just give me a little more time! In the time I have been hog hunting I have never been charged even when close to piglets and momma or going after a bowshot hog a bit too soon.

Offline rhett134

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
Ray, would really like a copy of pig pic.
Cant make copy from TG. [email protected]
                 Thanks,
                  Rhett

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Rhett;
Try right mouse click and save to my pictures on your computer.

CA; Wow, I guess the hogs I'm around are hunted too hard to want to be in the same county as a hunter.  One wiff and its curly tials flopping in the breeze.  Wind direction is key though to any hog spot-n-stalk.

Bowdaddy;
Raspberry jello on the ground will really get hogs worked up.  I've heard blood dripping on the ground does the same thing for Russians, but don't care to test that out.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Me either Wudstix. Will find out in Oct.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
Never hunted pure Russian boars.  My buddy did and he said the .44 Magnum on his hip made it easier to concentrate on a good shot with his bow.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
My favorite way of hunting hogs is on the ground.  I have been charged twice in about fifteen sucessful hunts.  In each of those cases, the hog was mortally wounded and I was way too close.

Due to the fact that hogs vitals are so far forward, much like game on the "Dark Continent", one of the best arrow angles will be from the ground. Far too many people shoot hogs like they do deer, resulting in long blood trails with no hog at the end.  They are tough as nails, and can take a lot of punishment.  Leave your wimpy broadheads at home.  Cut on contact, large cutting diameters are the wise choices, the fat and that course hair will soak up a lot of blood.  

I have found that the Wensel Woodsman is my choice as big hog medicine.  The two hogs I have shot with them, died within ten yards of being shot.  Prior, I used Zwickey and Magnus, both fine choices.

Hogs in hot weather can be found along creeks and near swamps.  They will also get high on ridges during hot weather to catch the breeze. Moving slowly along these types of cover in the right weather conditions, playing the wind, glassing the hiding spots can pay big dividens.

In extremely cold weather, you will find them on the lee side of bluffs, cut banks, dead falls, and depressions.  I have found them in deep depressions ten to twenty bunched up for heat.  

I love to get on a point, the higher the better, early or late in the day, where I can glass for them.  Hogs when actively feeding, will move in a fairly predictable path, other factors, that determine their feeding and travel paths are the lay of the land.  When I locate them, and determine their path, I  dope out the wind, and run like hell to get to a point in front of the feeding pig , or pigs.  I say run like hell because the darn things cover a lot of ground pretty quickly, use caution, running in the woods can cause falls, no arrow on the string until you have sighted game and in the process of moving in for a shot.

Once they feed into range, I try to shoot as they move past, slightly quartering away shot. On broadside shots, I shoot for the crease just behind the shoulder.

You have to be careful, because you can fool their eyes, if you use cover and don't move, but their hearing is better than any hoofed animal I have ever seen.  Their sense of smell is the best in the animal world, and their intelligence has no equal in the wild.

Hogs are not like deer, if something is not to their liking, they will get the heck out of Dodge, quick and in a hurry.

While I am a northern boy, living in Texas, I hate the Texas heat, but love being able to chase these pigs all year long.  

If you can score on a regular basis on pigs, you should have no trouble with deer or most any other critter.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
I've killed hogs from 60 to 250 pounds from the ground and have never felt threatened. Course I've never cornered a wounded boar or for that matter got between a sow and her piglets. Their nose is second to none but their eyesight is limited. Hog hunting is a great adventure with stick and string. Some good eating too.  :thumbsup:

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
At what size would you recommend not eating them...I have heard many things about the bigger they are the tougher the meat...thoughts?

Also, because of the ticks...worms...and other goodies that can be found in hogs in the Texas heat...would you eat them if you shot them in the summer?  

Are these urban legends or facts?  :knothead:
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
I have enjoyed boars up to 250 pounds.  I like to keep my boar consumption to pigs in the 200 lbs and under.

Sows on the other hand, I will take them as big as I can get them.  If I can haul her, I will shoot her.

However I have taken a nice boar for the wall, so I pefer to pass on anything to take a shoat.
75 pounds down to 18 pounds are the ones that will melt in your mouth.

Last season I shot one and my fiancee' laughed at me.  She really got on my case for shooting such a little pig,  that is until she tasted the it. She is now a believer in shooting smaller, more tender pork.....Ain't love grand!
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Never had a hog run away "squealing like a piglet" after a good hit, they usually make a short grunt and take of, or just don't realise they got hit and die on they feet in a few yards.

The only one that squealed was because I hit it in the spine, and was on the ground with the back legs paralised.

I got charged a couple of times but they couldn't get to me because of the thick bush, I had one big boar circling me for 5 minutes grunting after I show his saw, but stayed out of bow range    :bigsmyl:  

But yeah, they'll run away from you most of the time.

Yesterday I hit one with a 160gr snuffer (1st time) and I was amazed by the blood trail!!!
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
The same goes for hogs here in Oklahoma; hit 'em low & give 'em time to die.  I don't have any "good" hog stories, as all the hogs I have shot have ran off w/ my arrow and didn't want anything to do with me.  A javelina I recently shot in south Texas came after me, but I had broken it's back and I believe that it knew it couldn't get away.  Flight wasn't an option, so fight was the only alternative.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Ive hunted hogs for twenty years and Ive been charged exactly once...by a 40 lb "monster" !!!

Go have some fun...and don't get between a sow and her litter and you should be fine.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Benha,  As long as you can run faster than yer buddy, you don't need vanilla or Jello.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
:campfire:
Hey gents, I love to hunt hawgs from the ground. I love to spot and stalk. Here's a few.

I hunt them any time. I just wish I had the time.
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©