Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hogs on the Ground  (Read 5579 times)

Offline leewillis92

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs on the Ground
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Always keep a back up gun.  I keep a 9mm holstered on my leg and never go without it.  It might sound like cheating or wimpy to do that but after you have been cut by one of those teeth you will know what I mean.  Good luck this season!
Hunt Hard. Stay Safe. God Bless.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
Guns of any kind are illegal while bowhunting during archery deer season in MS. You can only "carry" while hunting hogs on private land while deer season is out, or while a modern gun deer season is open.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
I love hunting hogs on the ground, either from a blind or spot and stalk.I've shot several from tree stands as well.
I've been able to get follow up shots on hogs I shot from the ground(just be careful).
They are tough animals!They also may be the perfect animal to hunt with trad. archery gear.

Offline laughing turtle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
I have taken numerous hogs on the ground in Australia and the US.  I have found that if you are still and camoflauged there really is no worry, barring a wounded cornered hog.  Hunting them from the ground is bar none my favorite way to pursue a pig.

Offline dirtdober

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
The reason hogs usually charge after a shot is because they don't know where they are going.  They are a compact ball of muscle with very thick skin and are use to running thru the tightest brush.  I've shot a boar one time and he took off right thru a large prickley pear cactus.  Even though he ripped the cactus to pieces he didn't have a single cactus spine in him when I found him.  
What you need to watch out for after arrowing a hog that runs your direction is not the tusk.  You need to watch for your own broadhead that might still be sticking out the other side of the hog.  The same reason I would never hunt with dogs and bows together.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©