Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: # for hunting brown bears  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
# for hunting brown bears
« on: September 12, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
I am planing on taking a tip to alaska to hunt brown bears and would like to know your opions on what poundage you would shoot I know that acurecy is the most important factor. I shoot a 64# longbow now and think that I could go up some. so what would you shoot, recomed?
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: # for hunting brown bears
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »
Shoot the heaviest bow you can handle accurately. That varies among individuals. Many can handle 70# and others only 40-50#. I believe the late Charlie Kroll used 50# and Fred Bear used 70#.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »
I don't have first hand experience with Brownies, but I spent several hours with a guide in BC that has shot a few of them that claimed that you didn't need anymore bow for Grizzly than for Blackies.  If your longbow is a modern R/D design and average to good performance, I would think that would be a perfect choice.  You might bump up arrow weight to 750grians or so and have a bow that would stop a freight train.  I don't care how heavy a bow you have, you are not going to stop a charging Brownie with an arrow.  You simply need enough bow to puncture both lungs and let the air out of one.  I think that bow would be more than adequate.  

Disclaimer:

have never hunted brownies, but I did shoot a black bear this year with a 51#@29" recurve and 630 grain arrows.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:35:00 AM »
Just make sure you can out run your guide.LOL. Ya gotta be nuts to hunt something that can eat you, with a bow,IMHO.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
people shoot them every year with a rifle, when they were way close enough to do so with a bow. Be it that they shoot it while standing in a pool of there own urine. But with that said, if I had the money to do it, I would do it. I do not know if I would consider shooting one with out a guide that was not armed with an adequate firearm that could put a stop or slow the animal down just enough that you could put a foot in front of your guide, hey it is survival of the fittest, if you are missing a leg, you are not the fittest!(just kind of joking)

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »
thx guys I got charged by a black bear this last spring that we had cornerd beteewn to litel creeks gess he just did not want to get wet. lol it was kinda cool after he charged the frist time and we realized that he was bluffing ran at us with his eyes closed and head truned stop at about ten feet opened his eyes realized we dint move an inch ran back down to the creek then turnd and did it two more times we finley let him run out after that he was only about 180# but a nice blond,cinamon and cocolet.only one that I have erver seen, to bad he was not 100 # haevyer but maybe we'll see him agine in afew years.
Gary Gentry

Offline Charlie - SA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 12:40:00 PM »
Beware, in a few more years he probably will not be bluffing  :scared:    :scared:  
Charlie - SA

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »
Didn't Papa Bear use a 65 pounder on all his Alaskan game?

Offline Sage Custom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 12:57:00 AM »
I used to fly bush planes in Kodiak. Have a backup! Met a guide that got mauled about 10 years before I met him. Half his face was gone.
Dad was one of the founding fathers of P&Y Club.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »
I haven't shot one but have carried 66# selfbow and #66 laminated longbows on my trips.  I have zero concern about that (or 64#) being enough bow.  A friend killed one with mid fifties.  A heavier arrow would be where you should be more concerned with.  Just go for at least 650 grains plus.  Remember, most brownies are way smaller than many elk and most moose and they are routinely killed with under 64#.

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »
thx steve I shoot a 650 grain arrow know so I think that I well keep my same set up thx
Gary Gentry

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 03:14:00 AM »
My tag is in my pocket... 55# Robertson Stykbow.

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
tag in my pocket 57lb
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »
Alaskan hunters, I envy you!

Good luck all,
F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
Just curious: when did Brown/Grizzly bear bowhunting started? ( besides the rifle-toting Yeehah crowd, of course) Was it the Fred Bear video? and, isn't the animal sacred to Indians, and thus, shouldn't it be sacred to at least the traditional archery part of the hunting community, who is trying so hard to identify itself with Indian Heritage, and not be hunted at all? Or, if one must have a brown bear, shouldn't it be on a one on one knife fight/kill(maybe), like Indians used to do?
your thoughts.....
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 12:44:00 AM »
Alex,

Have you taken your medicine today?

Offline High Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »
Alaska Dept of Fish and Game sets minimum weight at 50#, I killed an interior grizzly with my 300 Win mag, after that I experience I would definitely set my minimum higher than 50#, they are a tough critter to put down. Heavier arrows would also be in the equation.

Offline justin snyder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »
Alex you have been in the peyote. BTW Im not trying to align myself with native american heritage, I shoot an english longbow. LOL Justin

Offline BowFire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »
i'd like to see the native american that takes on a full-grown alaskan brown with a knife and wins....!! not I, said the cat...

Offline The BushMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
I don't try to identify with Indian heritage, but I sure enjoy hunting with traditional gear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©