Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: # for hunting brown bears  (Read 4667 times)

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: # for hunting brown bears
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
Please, those who shouldn't hunt bears should refrain, and leave bear-hunting to those who should.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline EDW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »
Art Young took a brown bear in Alaska in the 1920's. So hunting them with archery tackle goes back a ways.
EDW

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »
Fred Eichler shot his with a 54# bow I believe. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »
I'm not sure if Fred Eichler has gotten a Brown bear or not yet? He and I hunted with the same outfitter for Brown bears in Alaska last year and he didn't take one then. He did take a grizzly and a Polar bear last year though.
Jack Shanks

Offline D Harris

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »
Jack,

Palmer is making the Eichler bow now honoring the fact that he has taken all 28 big game species with his recurve. That is the only bow he is making and it sells for the small price of $1200.00. With that being said I would imagine that he did get one along the line somewhere. Shawn the Grizzly he shot in Trad Harvest IV was a 57# he stepped up 3 pounds in weight according to what I remember him stating during the video.

Dave

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »
Thanks Dave.

I only know that he told me he didn't get a bear on his spring hunt and I didn't get one on my fall hunt either, for that matter. It has been awhile since I last spoke with him though. It is possible he may have taken one prior to last year or he may have gotten one this year for all I know.
Jack Shanks

Offline D Harris

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
Jack,

For the time being I have to dream of hunting dangerous bears with my Silvertip. Maybe someday in the future.

Dave

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »
Dave,

It doesn't hurt to dream. Up until last year going on a brown bear hunt was only a dream for me too. Although my trip didn't turn out quite the way my dream did, it was an adventure I will never forget. I hope to return again someday for another try.

Gary,

Although I never actually took a shot I carried a 58# Black Widow recurve on my brown bear hunt. It has already been mentioned here but the outfitter told me that the bears are thin skinned and what will work on black bears will work on brown bears. Like most animals, shot placement has more to do with it than poundage. That said, he was guiding another hunter while I was there that shot one with a compound. It seems to me that his compound was in the sixty some pound range. He hit the bear too far back. The arrow went completly through the bear and kept going out the other side after the shot. The bear made it a short ways to the river that they were hunting by and died while trying to swim across. They recovered it on a sand-bar quite a ways downstream from where it entered the river.
Jack Shanks

Offline clone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
I just returned from Baranof Island in Southeast Alaska where I hunted Brown Bear for 17 days straight.  I had opportunites at average brown bears early (7.5ft), but had seen a 9.5ft bear and hunted him hard most of the time.  The closest I could get was 80 yards.  I saw 110 bears, and was less than 20 yards from 20 different bears (great video).  I carried an ACS Adcock CX 63# at my draw with 650gr beeman carbon classics which were 21% f.o.c.  My self imposed limit on distance was 25 yards.  A hunt like this is like going into battle, and if your an atheist, I don't recommend it.  I found a  peace while hunting, even with the incredible intensity.  The only arrow I let go was when a thumped a 7footer in the rump at 17 yards (on video) I declined the use of the rifle on the big bear, which was the right decision for me, even on this once in a lifetime hunt.
Clone

Martin Family Ranch (Website Coming)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »
Someday
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline nock hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 11:30:00 PM »
Hope your going with backup!!I just finished hunting for one here.I had a draw for an area where bears on the average are 7-8.5 foot.I used a 64# long bow even though I didn't get a shot I felt comfortable.I think that is what counts.Hope your hunt goes well.
62" 61@27" Bighorn T/D Recurve
    50@27" Bighorn Limbs
62" 59@27" Algoma Packbow Longbow
62" 60@27" Algoma Packer 2pcLongbow
62" 60@27" ACS-CX 3pc Longbow
64" 49@27" ACS-CX Limbs

Offline Alaska Jim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »
I would not hesitate to use 60 lbs. Biggest job is getting close and staying cool so you can make a good shot when it presents its self. This is not easy to do as most of us are not accustomed to being that close to a big animal like a brown bear. Good luck to you . Alaska Jim

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
make sure you are backed up all bears are vey fast way faster than you and there have been charges that were not stopped by guns so be mentally prepared for what ever woodbender

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
when Fred killed his grizzly isn't that the only bear he needs  grizzly/Brown.. same bear diffrent locations??

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
sticbow,

If you are talking about Fred Eickler he did take a Brown bear last spring in Alaska. He took a grizzly,  black bear and Polar Bear all in the same year, 2005.

P&Y and B&C recognize Grizzly bears and Brown bears as being seperate species in their record books.
Jack Shanks

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
Jack
     did not know that..learn something everyday on this great site...so you do need the griz and brown bear both for the slam..plus others..
                     Scott

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
sticbow,

Yup, and at last count I only need twenty-five more to complete mine.
Jack Shanks

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
G'day guys, I don't get much of a chance to get on here often but whenever I do I always find some good info.
I'm a "bowhunting only" outfitter here in Australia for Water Buffalo, Axis deer and hogs.
This year I'm taking time off from guiding in October and have booked a hunt on the Alaskan Penninsula for Brown Bear.
Last year some of the Trad guys helped me with some questions on bow weight, arrow weight and broadhead preference. I've taken that all on board and believe I'm on track there.
Now I'm hopeing that some of you fellows that have hunted Brown Bear, might be able to give me a little insight on what to expect in the way of actually hunting these big bears?
I believe we will be spoting and stalking bears on or along spawning creeks or along the coastline.
Could anyone give me some idea on just how sharp are these bears on movement and detail?
How does there hearing rate?
I imagine the noise of a river or beach could have a bearing on the noise factor?
Is their nose as good as a hog's say or better?
Did anybody take a Brown Bear on the Penninsula with Trad gear last Fall?
I know that if a shot opportunity presents itself it won't be the equipment in check but the guy behind it.
I'd appreciate any advise.
Bill.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
Basalt, sorry I can't help you as far as experience on a spot and stalk. The hunt I did was from tree stands set near where bears were known to fish.I can tell you they have a super scense of smell though. We tried to keep our scent to a minumum and approached and left our stand sites by walking in the streams we were hunting over. You might want to read the book Bear Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ.
Jack Shanks

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
Yes, phenomenal noses and hearing and will pick up any movement but stationary objects they may overlook.  When a bear is on fish they can really get distracted so your odds of getting close will go up if they get distracted by fishies.

It's difficult to find anyone to fly residents onto the penninsula for bears as the outfitters seems to have the flight service kinda locked up from what I understand.  

You won't need as much bow for these bears as you do for your buffs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©