Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: # for hunting brown bears  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: # for hunting brown bears
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Jack,
 thanks, I will try and get a copy of that book. Did you encounter many bears during your hunt?
 Thanks Steve,
 that's what I expected and I'm hopeing we can come across them fishing.
From what I can gather the outfitters have certain hunting concessions on the penninsula? I think that's how it works but I'm not sure?

That seems to be the case with the bow weight but I've desided to shoot my 68lb limbs [the sme ones I killed my Buffalo with] just to be sure.

My outfitter tells me that there are some good Black bear up there as well, not a lot but some real big guys. So he has suggested I get a Black bear tag as well ?

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
The latest of Dr. Ashby's reports, on this site, dated 11272007, indicates that the key point in penetration is arrow weight. It also indicates that 650 grains is a key threshold for penetrating large bones.

If I had your opportunity I think I might go up to 700 or 750 grains. And based on his reports I would use a two blade head with a chisel point........Grizzlys most likely. In fact I have a few of those on hand in case of need.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »
if you can, e-mail dr.don thomas. he has written extensively on alaskan bear hunting (brown and black) good luck on your trip
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2007, 04:23:00 AM »
68# would be a good number.  I have carried either a 66# osage selfbow or 66# laminated longbow on my brown bear trips.  I have one friend that shot one with a mere 55# longbow but it was a smaller bear.

I would highly suspect that the amount for a NR Alien black bear tag would just be $$ thrown away but I'd hate to have you find one nose down if you didn't get the opportunity based on what I said!

Most of the larger black bears are in Southeast Alaska but I'm sure they get some decent ones but I bet 300# or a bit more is upper top end where as that is an average adult male in SE AK.  Plenty big however.

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanks Bill,
 I'll be guiding and hunting with Doctor Don again this year in August and no doubt we will be talking Bear hunting over a couple of cold beers. I have read all of Uncle Don's books and they are a great read. Don has taken Russian Grizzly but has yet to take a Alaskan Brown bear I believe. He will be hunting them around the same time as I am this year and we hope to meet up at the end of the hunt.
I like to try and gather as much first hand info on the animals I plan to hunt, especially if I have never encountered them before so I appreciate any imput from the "Tradgang".

Yes Steve, I feel pretty comfortable with the 68lb and it won't have to be a monster Brownie just to get a crack at a mature boar will make me very happy.

I think you are right there with the Black bear tag but like you said, I'd hate to not have one and there was a good Blackie head down, bum up in front of me.

Steve I've only seen a couple of Black bear in the flesh and never actually got to draw on any. I've been studying a lot of DVD's on both Brown and Black bear to try and get some idea of what to expect but I bet there is nothing that can compare to a real life close encounter?

I know a lot of my clients have trouble picking the size of our Water Buffalo in both body and horn size simply because they have never hunted them or been up close to them before.

Just out of intertest, do Brown Bear eat Black bear or what?

Bill.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Basalt,

I had four bears within twenty five yards of me during my ten day hunt. Two boars that didn't offer me the shot I wanted and a sow with a cub that walked directly under my stand at fifteen feet or so. Without a doubt, the most adrenline filled hunt I have ever been on.

One evening years ago while hunting elk in Montana I had a grizzly follow me back to camp wolfing all the way. Pretty exciting experience too!
Jack Shanks

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
I shot a 501# black bear with a 65# recurve and standard 2261's with Bear heads.  The arrow went through on a quartering away shot that entered the last rib and exited out the shoulder blade on the other side.  500# is a small brownie so I wouldn't carry anything less than 65# if it was me!

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
Sorry about that.  My fingers are quicker than my brain.  They were 2216's.

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
Jack,
I see we have another animal/hunt in common,  :thumbsup:  I hunted them last spring.
Basalt,
You are in for a great hunt, I almost managed to return this spring to backup Steve on his upcoming brown bear hunt but the wife had other plans.  The one thing I will stress is how quick they are.  I took a shot at one from twenty five yards with a 63# Robertson Peregrine and 675gr arrow, the string hit my arm guard when releasing the arrow, and the bear turned 180 degrees and was five yards away before the arrow arrived to where he was.  He was quick!  A side note, Steve H was the one who put my brother and me in this location, thanks again Steve.   Also,  I have a friend (Neil Jacobsen of Bar Paw Bows) who shot one last summer at 30 yards while it was feeding on fish.  The arrow was just a little back but in the kill area so he reached for another arrow, the bear caught the movement and immediately charged and his guide had to shoot it at ten yards.  You probably have a lot more experience on after shot movement then any of us but it can’t hurt to be reminded.
Steve,
Mindy got hitched on Saturday, when are you and Doug going after the Brownies?  He mentioned “numerous times” when I saw him last Thursday that he would be related to an Alaskan resident.  

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Jack,
That sounds like a great hunt and I think getting the right shot angle will be the key to a successful shot. Shot or no shot I know it will be a great hunt!

I bet you made that trip back to camp quicker than the trip out hey !

Walt,
Thanks for the info. I knew that those bears were quick but I didn't know just how quick. Now I have a better idea of their speed!
Yes that "after shot movement" is not good. Even though I try and drum it into my clients to
" become a tree", I've been on the recieving end of a few wounded hogs over the years from just that.
I hope my brain remembers that, if the time arises!

Bill Baker.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Basalt,

You are in for a great adventure! I feel fortunate just to have had the experience of hunting them once in my life. Best of luck!

Walt,

Lions, Brown bears and now I see Mt goats too.
Jack Shanks

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
..and yes, brownies kill and eat blackies.  I actually found a dead brownie on one trip to Unimak that was likley killed by another brownie but nothing was eaten off of that carcass.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Danny Rowan:
Just make sure you can out run your guide.LOL. Ya gotta be nuts to hunt something that can eat you, with a bow,IMHO.

Danny
Hey Danny,That Bison could have stomped you into a little mud puddle on the prairie...just sayin'

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zbone:
Didn't Papa Bear use a 65 pounder on all his Alaskan game?
Pretty sure he used 70#. I was in awe of Mr.Bear.I also like that he was also left handed like me...   :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline Marty L. McMillan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
Hey, I know we all are die-hard traditional bow hunters here, but I can't beleive that no one has not said to make sure you carry a 454Kazool or .50cal. pistol in a cross belly belt holder in case everything goes terribly wrong. Yes, if you shot it with an arrow from your bow, he charges you and you end up shooting the bear with lead from your pistol to stay alive, who cares about a record book entry, at least you'll be alive to book another hunt. Everyone, thinks it won't happen, but I would want everyone taking on the challenge to carry a side arm for their health. Just the way I see it.   :pray:  Marty

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
I thought Bear used 65# exclusively for all his hunts!

Offline Nilirova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
i afraid bears in forest. How can i get that fear off...where i live, bears are much smaller then alaskas bears, but still. There is like 3bear attacks in 4 years, but still i afraid them  :(

Offline trkytrack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
Clone......what video is your bear hunt on? I would love to see it. Trkytrack

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©