Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: silver flame heads?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline deermaster

• Trad Bowhunter
silver flame heads?
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »
does any one use silver flame heads? thay look awsome but are quite high. just wondering if they stand up tto their claim? thanks!!

Offline deermaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: silver flame heads?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »
Deermaster ,
 i sell them here and North America and the answer is easy they are what they claim to be . tough and scarry sharp .German Precision workmanship .
just wished Marcus made glue ons 8>) ,which he won't .--- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
Dr. Ashby talks about him in his study.  I think it's the 3rd part of 05.  He felt they were the best screw in head he tested.   Ashby still seemed to hold the grizzly 190s in highest regard though.
Over on pow-wow there are several threads regarding silver flames, and you might get some good info over there.

Offline FLHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
I've been shooting Silver Flames for a couple of years now.  IMHO they are well worth the money, scary sharp, and fly well.  I shot a buck a couple weeks ago with a complete pass through.  Checked the Silver Flame it was still sharp enough to shave with.  I put it back into my bow quiver after cleaning up the arrow for the next hunt.  They take a beating very strong design and can be easily touched up to original sharpeness.
Aim Hard!

Offline Elk Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 11:15:00 AM »
My .02
Silver flames are to be used on a "special" occasion like for myself Elk hunting.
I live in iIllinois where White tails abound and I do not use them on Deer.
I only use them on Big game.
My opinion the best there is bar none
Das 60" 65#
Border Blk Douglas 62#
New Border  hex 5 limbs 76#
Habu Death adder 64" 64#
ACS CX 29" at 70#

And a yes a Compound just 1

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »
I have used the 180gr for several years now. Stos are my day to day broadheads but for big stuff the Flames are second to none and scary sharp!
hunt it

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
I have hit the off side shoulder on a zebra and an elk and when I pulled the head back out through the body they were still razor sharp.

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
guys sent some to a customer in Alabama who was heading of ot Ohio for big one,they arrived a day before he left just before thankgiving he was worried they wouldn't fly good with out tuning hit the same as his field points but only drawback he found was they went right through his deer target and had to cut them out of a pine tree behind it    :D    :D   sure hope he gets a good one --- herb

Hello Darlin'

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
What weights do they come in now?  Is there a 200 grain?

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 03:31:00 AM »
100, 125, 150, 180

The new 210gr with solid blade is now available.

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »
Yes Faulk is correct , i wqas the first in North America to have them in stock at the moment i have a couple of 3 packs of 100 gr ,lots of 150 gr and 4 x3packs of 210 gr left in stock and just emailed in an order to restock what i am out of and to fill back orders .prices are higher now than on my website $67.75/3 pack US dollars .i swolled some of the increase but have to pass some on .---herb

Hello Darlin'

Offline devildog66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
Sharpest and best made head I've ever seen.  I got mine a couple of years ago. Stos and Grizzly are my daily use heads but I can't come close to the SF for their edge and I get the others shaving sharp.
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
I have all of them in stock guys...they are a great head...who said scary sharp?? yes they are!!

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 02:28:00 AM »
Heck,they'd cost me over $100 for three at that price.
I'm going to do it though,because I have the bow "DAS" and the Arrows "grizzly sticks" so I may as well go the whole hog an get the sharp bits to match.

Offline blackwidowsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Is there anyone in Michigan that sells the Silver Flames?

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Are they available with a single bevel yet?  That might be the missing ingredient to have Dr. Ashby give them the nod over the Grizzly    ;)

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
In Africa this year I saw a cape buffalo die in 23 seconds after taking a hit with an 800 grain arrow tipped with a 180 silver flame. We were at Vissers in South Africa and one of the other hunters did that. Heinke Lottering was the PH. After we viewed the video and discussion followed, Heinke said that they should tell all their buff hunters to consider silver flame heads. It seems that others have come there and killed buffs with them with a very high success rate of quick, clean kills. Considering that these PH's see quite a few kills over the course of the year I think that is a ringing endorsement. And Doc Asbell scores this head as #1 in it's class.
Other than buff, silver flames killed eland, kudu, gemsbok and quite a few others on my trip. All of us in camp were using them. My wife killed a 900 lb kudu bull with a 425 grain arrow tipped with a 100 grain silver flame. One shot in the heart, 3/4 arrow penetration, and that head acted like a slice and dice machine in the cavity while the kudu ran away. We heard the death bellows within a 100 yards. I killed a nice red hartebeest with a 700 grain arrow tipped with a 210 'flame. Somewhere at my release or his movement, probably both, landed that arrow in his neck instead of the double lunger I was shooting for. That 'flame lodged in his spine and cut the dickens out of whatever was around it. He died in sight of the blind.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
I seldom see hunting shows but did catch one recently.  A woman killed a bull elephant with a single arrow using a Silver Flame, looked like a 180.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Are they hard to resharpen when they do become dull?
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©