Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: calling hog !!!!!!  (Read 1485 times)

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
calling hog !!!!!!
« on: December 17, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »
hello everybody

just to know if some of you have done it allready

maybe during the rut ??

and what kind of call do you use

thank you

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: calling hog !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »
Suuuee!!!!    

People from the southern states will understand.   I could not resist, sorry
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 11:02:00 PM »
During the rut?  Those damn things are nearly always "during the rut"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »
I often try to 'calm' hogs down while working in for a shot with low, soft grunts, such as piglets do while feeding to stay located to the group.

I think it might be possible to call boars in by simulating a fight between boars over a hot sow..but haven't tried it to know. Its much easier to just spot and stalk them and stay noise-free where I hunt...as I can also hunt deer and sometimes wild turkey, and both of them would react negatively to hog vocalizations as they do not like mixing it up with pigs much- I guess they are too aggressive and too smelly for the deer.

You can call most anything, why not pigs? I would use my mouth..you don't need a man made call.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »
Hogs mate year round. I have done as Ray said, making soft grunts to convince hogs that I am just another pig. HOWEVER, once in the Cohutta wilderness area of North Georgia, I was at the bottom of a nearly vertical 12-15 foot high drop off from the top of a ridge, I thought I bumped a group of medium sized pigs and tried the soft grunting thing, I got a VERY loud and immediate response from right above me, apparently it wasn't me that spooked off the other pigs, but a big boar and he thought I was challenging him. I shut up, as if he came charging over the edge, he would be coming nearly straight down at me from 15 feet away.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 01:36:00 PM »
I have called in a number of hogs in the past. I used to use a Knight and Hale or Primos grunter, but now I just do it with my mouth.  When stalking in noisy conditions I make grunting and even squealing noises as I move.  As everyone who has watched a sounder of hogs move through the woods knows, they are noiser and are often biting at one another as they travel (kind of like my 3 boys in the back of the car on a road trip).  If I jump up some pigs I give a long "growl" to calm them down or hold them.  If I find a spot with a lot of sign, I sometimes sit and start grunting and squealing every 10-15 minutes.  I have pigs come walking in and have had a few come running in.  Like all other calling, sometimes it works unbelievably well other times not at all.  One other call I forgot to mention.  If you hunt where there are feeders, jangling your keys can be effective  :) .  Brady

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »
ok guys

thank you very much for your answers

very helpfull

here in france the wildboar is not very noisy

execpt during the rut specially the males when they fight

i will try and let you know

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
that'll wake you up pretty fast, won't it, Rick???

I'll have to try that out, Doc....I always try to walk so I sound like pigs...a lot of quick shuffling, then quiet, then quick shuffle, then quiet...so I resemble pigs, not people.

I'll let you know the results of the calling experiment. Last time I was over hunting I had 60 pigs come by me in the largest sounder I've ever seen...and I had exactly one arrow in the quiver (I'd fallen on my bow on the way in for a deer hunt, stepping in a hole, and broke three carbons) Lucky I didn't break the bow!

Several were up in the 350 lb range, and were within 10 yards at times.

I shot a 200 lber that got too close- 6 feet or so.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 05:23:00 PM »
Ray,
That's a great problem to have, the 60 pigs not the falling in a hole  :) .  I think that you will discover that you attract a bunch more hogs than you would expect.  It's kind of like rattling for deer, you have to keep at it 'cause it won't work every time.  I was hunting in Arkansas earlier this fall and called in a medium sized boar by grunting and squealing by mouth as I waded through dry oak leaves.  It was too thick to get a shot and he eventually tired of me.  About 100 yards later my grunts and squeals awakened a whole herd of pigs and I listened as they began biting at one another.  The herd didn't come all the way in, but I was able to stalk to within bow range of about 15 of them.  A few soft grunts later and 2 nice pigs walked by at 15 steps.  He posed for my video camera as my girlfriend drew her ccccccccompound bow.  She touched the rrrrrrrelease and it did what technogadgets sometimes do...nothing.  The release clicked but didn't fire.  The hog looks at the camera (and smiles) then gets the heck out of dodge.  Alas, no dead hog, but awesome footage.  I have called in a truck load of piggies in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.  I have never called in a Georgia hog, but I'm game to practice some time...hint, hint.  Take care, Brady

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 08:27:00 AM »
Ray, 350#'rs!!!!!! You should take me with you the next time you do that, after hunting buffalo I feel naked if I don't have at least a doz arrows nearby! And yes, if I wasn't fully awake before that, it got my full attention.

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
Hogs are a horrible nusiance here in NE Texas, so we use a very untraditional way to control them. We use an electronic call that works like a charm. It makes a terrible racket of grunting and squealing that draws the pigs like magic. After hearing the mess this call makes, I don't think there is anything that wouldn't call in a hog.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Varmit call works, young pig squealing works, grunt call works, hog call works................
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member