Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gators in Georgia  (Read 2220 times)

Offline CDMHorseman

• Trad Bowhunter
Gators in Georgia
« on: December 24, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »
To begin with I only consider gators potentialy dangerous.  I have caught and moved quite a few.  I was just curious as to how some of you would take one with a bow.  My planned set up will be a good fishing arrow and about 10 ft of 200 lb test line tied to one or two 1 gallon jugs.
Georgia has opened a season on gators and you can take 1 a year..
anyone have any better Ideas?

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gators in Georgia
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »
Need longer and heavier # test also a harpoon with rope helps I shot a 10 footer with what you said he snapped my line
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline CDMHorseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »
I've caught many with just a rope on a DNR permit, and moved them. Largest was just over 9ft.  Was your line attached to something?? I was planning on chasing the jugs. Were you in a river, pond or lake??  I have one picked out in a small pond.  May try in the Savannah or Ogeechee rivers too.  I've never tried to take one with a bow, and I don't want to lose the gator.

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »
I was in the river just held the line but make sure you give him plenty to run with dont fight him that was my mistake
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline CDMHorseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »
OK  I just ordered some 650lb test bowfishing line, and Barbed broadheads designed for gators.  The big gator I can take is in a 10 acre pond.  Not really a hunt. I can find him on any given day, and most of the time he will come as soon as you throw a few marshmallows out..  I was just going to stick him and follow the jugs with the line only attached to the jugs.  The river would be more fun....  I've been asked to take this gator from the pond.  I can only get one permit as you know.

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »
I had a friend take a gator a while back on a hunt in Florida, he used the Muzzy kit, and said it worked well for him.

Here is the link -   web page  

Now the price on the site seems a bit high, so I think you could make a kit up yourself.  Iet me also say this that everything I've seen from Muzzy was pretty good quality, so maybe it's reasonable.

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:17:00 AM »
Just out of curiosity, where (head, heart lungs?) should you shoot an alligator?

K
-You see something, just whack it"

Offline CDMHorseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
I've only killed one gator and that was with a rifle with a shot between the eyes.  I'm still trying to figure out what would be best with a bow.  That is why I posted the thread. So I could input from others that have taken them with a bow.  I'm guessing a lung shot.

Offline Huntin'Honey24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Vitals are everything with any animal when you are talking about a bow kill.  Animals of course don't die from shock.  And you all know this, but I would just study the anatomy of the animal before I went to hunt!
Just Startin'

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
A few issues ago TBM had an article about bow hunting for gators. You may want to get your hands on that.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
no vital shot on a gator harpoon them with arrow get them to boat and bang stick them
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline artistryinnature

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Yup, By Georgia law the gator must be first be captured (restrained) either by harpoon, snare, barbed arrow, gig or snatch hook, then dispatched with a bang stick or handgun. It is recommended that you sever the spinal cord behind the head with a knif and secure the jaws with bands or tape and the legs tied over the gators back with rope. Even then you should leave the gator in a cooler for several hours or even over night. Anyone who has killed reptiles knows that their primitive brains and bodies sometimes take a while to realize they are dead.
Mickey Wright

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Call the guys as Muzzy (you know they are in Cartersville, GA).  It has been a few years, but I recall a video they produced of bowhunting gators with a wheelie bow.  I remember them shooting the animal in the skutes with the bowfishing point, which was attached to a heavy line and jug/buoy.  They trailed the animal with a boat, and once it tired they shot it in the brain with a broadhead.  Pretty cool video.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Why not try and severe the spinal cord with your broadhead? I know that might be a tall order, but wouldn't that be the "sweet" shot? I am just thinking that if you are hunting with a bow, why not kill it with a bow?

Of course, I'm just an Idaho hunter----we haven't any Gators here, 'cept at the farm over in Hagerman.

Jeff

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 06:17:00 AM »
Guys- I too would like to hunt gator with a bow. I have not checked into the regs for hunting them. Is it by draw? or over the counter?

I'm in Albany and could use a few hunting buddies in the state. I know no one within a few hours that hunts with traditional equipment. Would like to meet a few. BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline artistryinnature

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Its a draw. Apply on the DNR website. The closing date is July 31.  http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=500
Mickey Wright

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
We do have gator hunting supplies and they have been tested and proven by guides and nuisance trappers in FL for many years, pretty much considered the standard equipment to use on gators with bows.  I have shot several and have dispatched a few of them with broadheads.  Definitely a shot to the spine will end their struggles, but you can also take the life out of them very well with a broadhead thru the lungs.  Just holler at me here at Muzzy and I will be glad to help you out.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
I usedd a Muzzy head They work
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
To bad Steve Irwin, the "Croc Hunter" got the croc hunting banned in Australia, a 20 foot salty would be a good test for a bowfishing rig!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Took one with a modified Zwickey back in 92. It was the "sweet shot" mentioned earlier. Right behind the head with the gator facing away.

However that is a tough shot to get let alone make. I was very lucky.
DonD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©