Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow Poundage for buff  (Read 4156 times)

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Poundage for buff
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Bill, Don and Lori will be here Tuesday I believe for a little fishing and maybe a hog hunt. We are hooking up with Jay and Karen at our hunting camp to watch Jay dig a new septic tank. It's a character builder for the Buff hunt :-) Karen needs no such remedial efforts. Just gotta keep Lori after the coons, armadillos and possums. It's fun to watch her make Don cape them. I can't wait to see him skin a big armadillo, or a small one for that matter.

I'm hoping to make your acquaintance someday, be it your turf or mine.

DonD
DonD

Offline Jay Campbell, JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »
Bill, Ron, Don D.:

Heading to hunting camp in Florida tomorrow. My new 80# Black Widow Longbow came, and it's shooting great out of the box.  It is also shooting the same arrows, at the same energy, as Karen's Adcock 67# Longbow, which she draws to 29" for 70#.  Amazing.

We have Gold Tips flying perfectly at 680 gr, with 21% FOC.  We can also get them flying good with shaft inserts at 800 gr, 13% FOC.  But otherwise we're maxed out on spine unless we can get an insert to increase weight without decreasing dynamic spine.

No problem getting the Safaris to 1000 gr and good FOC, we're just looking at the shaft diameter issue, and wanting the 5/16" shaft if we can get it.  Plus, the Gold Tips are incredibly tough in our New MExico rock filled yard. - Jay Campbell, JD

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
See ya in a day or 2 Jay
DonD

Offline Jay Campbell, JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Hey all you Buff folks, here's where we are with our (I hope final) buffalo hunting arrow set up:

A Gold Tip Big Game 100 with a 1516 Easton "jazz" aluminum full length shaft inside, which fits tight. 70 grains of weight, aluminum insert, 125 gr steel broadhead adaptor, 160 grain head, (STOS Broadhead). Finished arrow weight - 892 grains.  FOC - 16.5%. Arrow speed - 158 FPS out of both Karen's Adcock (70# at her 29" draw), and my 80# Black Widow PLX.  Arrow flight is just a dart with Broadheads, Bare shafts, and Fletched shafts hitting together.

Hope that will do, we're going pig hunting on our lease with Don Davis tomorrow in Florida. All advice and comment welcome. - Jay and Karen Campbell

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
So Jay my money is on Karen!  :)   :thumbsup:  sounds like a awesome set up...hope you share more ...I love the stories you write on bowhunting bud!  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Jay, sounds like that setup would be just fine.  Dr. Ed likes the extreme FOC setups, which we had with the carbons, but Rik's wood arrows did just as well and I don't think the FOC on them was very much.

Now, as far as "fair-dinkum" Oz speak.  The letter "R" seems to be optional at all times.  The city of Cairns, to most people, would be "C a i R n s", with an R.  They say "CANS", like in beer cans.  Same with "Thusday", a day of the week.  Then they stick the "R" in arse, a in a few more words I can't remember.

Truth be known, after three weeks the two Oz boys were speaking pretty good American, seeing as how they were outnumbered four to two.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »
Jay that arrow setup sounds just fine to me.
Good luck on the hogs down South.

G'day Mark yeh I think you've almost got the hang of things while you guys were here. You all picked up on how to drink good Ozzie beer fairly quick and that's the main thing!
I'm trying out your 300 Axis arrows you left me and after taking one of the brass weigh sections out of the front they fly very nice out of my 69lb Robertson.

Don D. I was just wondering if you have any Skunks down your way that Lori might be able to get Uncle Don to cape ?!
I hope I get the chance to catch up with you one day around a campfire or over a cold Ozzie beer. Don and Lori have told me that you are quite a character.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Bill, Don and Lori just left with no game to ship to MT. Great fun was had by all. No skunks were seen but some left their " sign". Could've been Don T after a few beers though. We shot with Jay and Karen, no need to have any worries about the lovely Mrs. Campbell. That is one dedicated lady and she is in top form already.

Jay "pocket pig" Campbell did shoot a monster 300 lb hog with the buff arrow . Complete pass thru even on the follow up shot-Jay said it charged him. Karen said Jay was squealing like a pig during the charge. Jay insists it was the pig doing the squealing. I'm sure there will be nightmares. Doggone scale must have been off a bit and read it as only 30 lbs . Jay held it up by one hand and declared it to be 300 so I guess that makes it the official weight .

Come visit our camp "Brokeback Slough Dinner and Hunt Club" someday. No buffs here but we do have a disco ball(Jay's idea)for Saturday nights.
DonD

Offline Jay Campbell, JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
Great fun in FLA, especially as the Widow Campbell and I were there alone for a few days of hunting.  And chasing animals. The pig was taken by moonlight, with the buff arrow at 910 grains barely slowing on it's way into the duff.  Lost forever.  Pig was down in a couple of steps.  32 pounds even. Bar B Q in the freezer, waiting for the next trip in April. Now I'm looking for a Mackenzie Buffalo target, to get Karen practice on the BIG animals.  Me, I see them all big, even the 30 pounders. - Jay C.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
I must disagree with Mark on a point; we certainly don't say the "r" in "arse"! It comes out sounding like "ahse". I hope this helps! As for "ass", well, they're commonly called "donkeys" over here, and with five million of the buggers (said without the "r" sound) running around the country feral, we try to knock them over with our bows whenever we can.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©