3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where do i start?  (Read 885 times)

Offline 11FIFER1

• Trad Bowhunter
where do i start?
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
Hi this is my first post so id like to say Hello to everyone, secondly where do I start, I've had very limited experiences over the years, the main being with a compound bow which I didn't really think I was looking for!
As you might know archery in the UK is mainly done through clubs which tend to be for competition only, id like to shoot for fun as hunting isn't legal over here, clubs are not really my thing, it always seem to me that some members have been in them to long and take over! back biting etc.
Now the thing is what would make a good bow to practice with along with arrows etc, I've been looking on **** .com and find there's loads to choose from, what is the current best value for money kit on the market over there and where is the best place to buy from?
I know I could go on forever asking questions so I'll leave it in your hands
thanks for any info
Jim

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: where do i start?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Maybe you could give us a little better idea of what type of archery appeals to you.  You could join a club that features that type of archery, you could read books, you could attend competitions, or you could get instruction, either individual or group.

This is, of course, a traditional archery forum, which means different things to different people.  To some it means making their own bows and arrows from scratch, to others it means shooting wooden bows instinctively, and to others it means shooting fairly high-tech bows, usually recurves, and carbon arrows using various methods of sighting other than instinctive shooting.  I think we draw the line at bow sights, but there is a certain amount of overlap among the groups.

One of the things you have in the UK that we don't have much of here is shooting the traditional self longbow such as was used in the middle ages, with fairly strict requirements as to the configuration of the bow, in formalized matches at distances around 100 yards.  I think if I were in England, back biting aside, I would like to learn to do that.

If you were here, we could give you specific recommendations in all of the avenues I mentioned depending on where your interest lay.  We might be limited as to recommending organizations in the UK, but we can certainly recommend books that would help you get started in the areas I mentioned.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline 11FIFER1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Hi McDave and thanks for your prompt reply, now the type of archery I'd like to start is instinctive, something I could play with in the garden when I feel like it and not when the club says so, you know where I'm coming from.
As for me I do hunt mainly with shotgun/rifle not so much with dogs now as they band it a few years ago ( I do hope you people over there are watching what's going on around you!) .......I didn't think they would ever be able to stop hunting with hound's "how wrong you can be! ......and to top it all I would love to hunt in Canada where a few friends of mine live!
So what I'm really asking is ...........what is the best value for money instinctive bow I could buy that would give me a chance to put the arrow's in the middle?
What I don't really want is to start off so cheaply as to handicap myself! I was looking in a catalogue you have there and saw some bows starting at $299 would this be on the right line's or should I dig a bit deeper?
Well thanks again
Jim
UK

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
the best value for your money is probably a used custom bow... but that doesnt mean its the best bow for you... The best bow for you is one that you feel comfortable with and that shoots where you look.... Theres a number of guys on this site that can pick up a 50.00 stick and string and out shoot someone with a 1000.00 bow..it is up to you to put the time in  and practice... my advice is to find some lower poundage starter bows that help you with your form and shoot as many bows as possible...youll know when you find the one that fits you best...then you'll want to find another one that fits you even better..... good luck and enjoy the ride.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
You would probably like reading "Instinctive Shooting" by G. Fred Asbell.  Eventually, if you would like to hunt in Canada some day, you probably will want a take-down bow, which would be easier to ship, but that probably won't be the first bow you buy, so maybe that doesn't matter.  It would be good if you were able to shoot a few bows in order to know what poundage you feel comfortable with, although if you're brand new to the sport, it doesn't take much shooting to feel comfortable with something 5 lbs heavier than you start with.  Most people could get used to something in the 50-60 lb range for a hunting bow, where you don't shoot as many shots.  I've never been happy with anything I first bought when starting a new hobby, so if you think you could be the same, it would be well not to sink too much money in your first bow.  Probably you will be able to find something in your price range that will work to get you started, either used or on the lower-end new market.  Probably you should start with something in the 40-50 lb range, which will enable you to shoot many shots as you develop good form, planning to move up to a heavier bow later on if you decide you really want to hunt.  

Remember that the arrow is really more important than the bow.  Finding an arrow that is tuned to your bow will make a cheap bow shoot great, while a mismatched arrow will make an expensive bow shoot poorly.  Probably the best thing you could do is to look on this forum or other places until you see a used bow for sale in your price range, like jacobsladder said.  As far as the brand of bow, snoop on this forum and you will notice the names that come up again and again.  Maybe the person who is selling it has already tuned arrows for it and can get you started on the right foot.  You may be able to buy a good traditional bow from a store, but don't expect them, unless you buy from the bowyer himself, to give you any good advice about arrows.  They just don't know, which is made worse by the fact that they think they do.  Of course, buying the bow is only the first step in learning to shoot it, which involves learning good form and learning to tune your own arrows, which fortunately you can learn to do at the same time.  Oh yea, and then you have to learn to hunt!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Remember that the arrow is really more important than the bow. Finding an arrow that is tuned to your bow will make a cheap bow shoot great, while a mismatched arrow will make an expensive bow shoot poorly.

McDave is completely right!!!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
11FIER1

Considering you reside in the UK get yourself out to one of the NFAS field clubs or competitions. They are big on traditional equipment and you could get some good ideas. Their website has a classified section loaded with used gear. Great buys to be had from the States but factor in postage, duty, vat etc..

Good luck    :)
Brian Kupris

Offline 11FIFER1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Hi, can anyone tell me how much the book "instinctive shooting by G. Fred Asbell would cost in the USA it's very,very expensive here in the UK
thanks
Jim

Offline stickandastring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
im thinking I paid around 20 dollars or so, I have both of them as Instinctive shooting 2 is basically a rewrite of the first with some expansion. How much is it there?
Face your fears. Live your dreams.

Offline stickandastring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
Id be more than willing to part with one if it wuold help you out, simply for the cost of shipping but I imagine from the states it would be cheaper to just buy there...

Offline 11FIFER1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
Well if you want it in German its £11.68 but if the English version is the one you'd really like to read then it's.............wait for it......................£57.89  , that's from Amazon books! just my luck, and I was going to ask for one to be put in my Christmas stocking, I think Santa may have something to say on that one, i'll have a look round me thinks
Jim

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
I thought you were kidding, but I looked on Amazon, and saw 1 used volume on sale for about $90.  I'm sure I paid about $15 new.  It must be out of print.  As popular as the book is, I'm sure they will print another edition.  No way is it worth $90.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 11FIFER1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Hi stickandastring that is a vary nice generous offer and I do very much appreciate it, I may also take you up on the offer, but I'm going to have a good search around here first, I'm sure they've got it wrong! .....I put it to Google and got loads of hits from your end and as you know its no where near the cost of that in the UK,Cabelas had it on special offer for $14.99, it may be that you have an early edition and you could be sitting on a few extra $'ssssssss just in time for exmas!
anyway thanks again
Jim

Offline stickandastring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
Wow, you've got to be kidding me. Seriously, dont spend that kind of money. It would be cheaper to ship from here. Price tags still on the books...17.99 for book 1. 19.99 for book 2. Both from Cabela's, in person of course at Cabela's of Hamburg, Pennsylvania. Yours if you want them. Good reads but as with all instinctive shooting, use the parts that work for you.

Im guessing your in Germany?

Chris

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
I notice that the books are also available from Black Widow, either individually, or as a set containing the two books and the video for $59.  Fred does a lot of work with Black Widow, and I'm sure they will have his books if anyone does.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
I would start a new post titled "tradgangers from the UK?"  Find some near you and go to see them.  Nothing like making new friends willing to help a newcomer.  The absolute best way to learn and make life long friends.  These traditional archers are the best people I know!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
You're in the UK?  I thought it was man-law that you *had* to go with a great big longbow made of yew wood.  :-D

You might check the classifieds here and that other popular online auction site you mention.  There are bows to be had and you really don't have to spend a ton.  If you want to spend little, it's hard to go wrong with a decent Bear recurve from the auction site (that's my opinion anyway) but if you want a end of the world outstanding bow - then guys on the classifieds here sell good stuff.

As to which bow you ought to buy - heh good luck.  You'll get many different answers to that question here.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by 11FIER1:
Hi, can anyone tell me how much the book "instinctive shooting by G. Fred Asbell would cost in the USA it's very,very expensive here in the UK
thanks
Jim
Here ya go, sir...

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?i=4068

3R has it for $17.99 plus shipping.

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Try Robtatoo on this site. He seems like a very nice guy by his posts.He has a bunch of bows he probably would let you try out. You could have you a shooting buddy there.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
11, I would find out what your draw length is and how much weight you are comfortable with. Most guys start off with a bow to heavy and this creates bad form and bad shooting. I would go with a recurve of 62"s and around 45-50#s at your draw length. I would than let guys on here know what bow ya got and the weight at your draw, we than could get ya darn close on arrows for your set-up. It is wise to buy a quality used custom bow,as if ya do not like it ya can sell for about what ya paid if not get all your money back. Keep asking questions as it is the best way to learn. Guys will help ya, I am sure. Nice to have ya around! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©