Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Accuracy  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
Accuracy
« on: February 21, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
For those of you who Hunt Dangerous Game, what level of accuracy do you consider acceptable when trying to shoot something that can hurt you--How do you know when you're ready??
thanks, Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Rick, for me it's a knowing, I know I can place an arrow into it's hart/lung area and I hold my self to the yardage I am proficient at.
On bears or hogs, I want to be close, it's not about hitting them, it's about putting the arrow where you want it, making a killing shot.

At whatever yardage you can consistently hit a softball size target should be your max.

You also have to take into account the adrenalin factor, your going to be juiced up, so you got to be cool

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
I don't look at it any differently than I do any animal I shoot at.
As for when I'm ready,that depends on how close a really big tree that I'm sure I can get up in a hurry is.
Might sound a bit chicken,but I "always" consider my escape route before anything else.
I'm sure as heck not interested in dieing a stupid hero.

Offline Basalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
G'day Rick, there is always a lot to consider before you release an arrow at any animal but even more so when you are hunting dangerous game.

In my opinion there are only two shots to take on dangerous game, broadside and slightly quartering away. I prefer the second one.

There has been times when I have passed up shots at buffalo from under ten yards because the angle was wrong and then killed the buff cleanly five yards further out with a slightly quartering away shot.

As for myself personally I won't take a shot at dangerous game over 20 yards. I can group arrows consistently further out but when you're hunting big critters that are capable of killing someone [not just you] there is very little room for error !

From 20 yards or less I know I have a far better chance of reading that animals body language and knowing when the time is right. Like Kingwouldbe said staying in control has a whole lot to do with where that arrow connects !

The guys killed a dozen buffalo in my camp last year the closest shot was 8yards and the furtherest 18yards all with recuve or longbow!

How do you know when you are ready, good question ?
Hunting dangerous game with stick and string is not for everyone.
For me it's not some idea I have in my head, it's a wanting I have in my heart !
Bill.

Offline talldrinkofwater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
HI Rick

I havent had the oppurtunity to hunt dangerous game. My shot is when it feels right after i have done it on a target hundreds of times. I usually try to take a practice draw on every animal i can. I have been successful on a Black Bear, and a Whitetail. The most essential part of the combination is confidence that you can make the shot.
GOOD LUCK
Austin

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
I second Kingwouldbe and Basalt. I wait until I have my shot, not just a good shot but my shot!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
:campfire:  

For me there is no higher HIGH then stalking and having hawgs feed to with in 3 yards of you. I have taken about 6 hawgs now and I love hunting them more then hunting elk or whitetails. Last season I had 3 feed to with in a yard of me. It's a real adrenaline rush. Never got a shot off but it was great. I take allot of time taking care of my body and hunting clothes and it pays off for me whether I let the air out of one or just see them up close and personal. The closer I am the better. I want to put that arrow where it counts. I owe it to the critters I hunt.  :archer:  

Keep the wind in your face and you can't go wrong!!!!!
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©